Pickled Brisket

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Pickled Brisket

Postby fourmerk » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:58 am

My father had butchers' shops and used to pickle rolled brisket. I loved this and many of my friends remember enjoying it too. Does anyone have a recipe for doing this and where can I buy saltpetre for the pickle?
fourmerk
Newly Registered

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:01 am

Can't say that I've done any brine curing, but I saw that Franco sells saltpetre on this website (in the products/curing ingredients section) and he or others might know a thing or two about brine cures.

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:58 am

Welcome to the forum fourmerk

Whilst persuing my hobby as a 'couch potato' the other day, one of the TV chefs cooked a pickled ox tongue. I cannot vouch for the recipe but if it works on a tongue it should work on a piece of brisket.

Ox Tongue

Ingredients
For the brine

4 litres water
12 black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
12 juniper berries, coarsely crushed
small bunch Thyme
3 fresh Bay leaves
15g salt petre
735g sea salt
500g soft dark brown sugar

For the tongue
1kg ox tongue

Method
1. Soak the tongue in cold water overnight, changing the water occasionally.

2. To cure the ox tongue, put all the brine ingredients in a large pan, bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes. Leave on one side to cool before straining the liquid. Pierce the tongue in several places with a needle and steep in the brine for around 14 days.

3. Wash and drain the tongue and transfer to a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to the boil, before reducing the heat to a simmer. Cook for 1 hour, 45 minutes, until tender.

4. Rinse the tongue under cold water for 10 minutes before removing the outer membrane.

And you can purchase saltpetre on the main site http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/Saltpetre__500_grammes.html

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby fourmerk » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:24 am

Thank you, Paul, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. I have tongue as well. (I breed Highland cattle and sell beef in a small way locally, so I have the cheaper cuts left and like to make use of them.
fourmerk
Newly Registered

Postby Oddley » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:45 am

Hi fourmerk welcome to the forum.

I have not yet found the ultimate recipe for corned beef but below is one that I have made that weren't to bad at all. There cure chemicals can be got from the shop site.

Last edited by Oddley on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby najw » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:50 pm

I tried HF-W's Salt Beef recipe from the Meat Book and was so impressed that I've bought another brisket today to prepare ready for Xmas dinner.\
Followed the recipe to the letter - no problems
najw
Newly Registered

Postby deb » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:16 pm

najw wrote:I tried HF-W's Salt Beef recipe from the Meat Book and was so impressed that I've bought another brisket today to prepare ready for Xmas dinner.\
Followed the recipe to the letter - no problems

I've also made this before and agree it was pretty good.
I started my Christmas piece off on Thursday and will cook it next Friday (not a huge piece so it'll have plenty of time in the cure - 5-6 days). It'll be one of the meats on offer for sandwiches and cold cuts.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:30 pm

Oddley

I have just started curing a silverside in your corned beef brine recipe. I note you cured yours for 18 days. If I were to pump mine to about 115%, how long do you think it would take. I ask as the Len Poli pastrami recipe calls for 2 days per lb for a 5lb brisket, but only 3 days for it if pumped to 115%??

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:43 pm

Paul 3-4 days sounds about right to me, If you have used cure #1 only. As you know Nitrate takes longer to act than nitrite. As far as the other ingredients go, you are injecting them straight into the meat so apart from drip you will get the percentages you allowed for in the brine.

Did you use my calculator to work out the brine, or was it a recipe?

EDIT: I have just checked my calculator and I didn't allow it to pump over 100%. If you want your calculator to pump over 100% let me know and I'll alter it and send you one.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:53 pm

Oddley

I didn't use the calculator this time but actually used the recipe you posted on this thread. My silverside was only a few grms more @ 1785 so it suited it well. My parsley is a bit sparse so I didn't add the stems, but added a few bay leaves. I will leave it overnight and pump it in the morning :shock: it will give it time to infuse a bit more. I'm not in a rush but thought that as I have the canula and syringe I may as well use it.
I had a fair bit to do today and got to use the 1.5 hp reber mincer.. what a beast.. brilliant.
Was going to make the liver sausage as well, but the local butcher didn't have any ox liver, pigs liver or heart. I just got the chicken livers and put them in the freezer till I source the other ingredients. I reckon it'll have to wait till I get my next 1/2 pig, which is some way off.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:20 pm

Paul
You can't use my recipe as is, to pump at 115%.

You would be pumping far to much nitrite nitrate in. That recipe was designed for 10% Pump or pickup.

I would advise you to take the meat out of the brine you are using immediately, Then use the brine below to pump at 115%. Then crush the Juniper berries and pepper and rub it on the outside.

Grams Meat for this brine 1785 gm
Water grams 2,066 gm
Salt 54.80 gm
Sugar 32.27 gm
Cure #1 = 4.79 gm (150 ppm at 115% pump)

Percentage Pump 115%
Meat Pump Brine Weight Grams 2,052.75
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:31 pm

Oddley

Thanks for your involvement and knowledge. I will not pump but leave in the brine for the required period, rather than waste the brine. I assume that would be OK?
There's no rush for an end product.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:28 pm

Phew! Paul I was going to give it till tomorrow, then try to find your phone number. I have lost your address (Can't find it anywhere) so it would have been a bit of a job. I didn't want to see you toes up over Christmas... :D
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:25 am

Oddley

As it's been so long, I am going to sample a few ales over xmas.. I've no doubt the wife would have blamed them :lol:

Have emailed my details to you, just in case :wink:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:24 pm

The corned beef turned out brilliantly. Nice dark pink colour and it tastes like proper 'salt beef'.. nice recipe Oddley :wink:

I know what I'll be having for my dinner tonight.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Next

Return to Brine cured meats