Basic Sausagemaking Tutorial

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Basic Sausagemaking Tutorial

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:10 am

I have constructed a small basic sausagemaking tutorial which I have uploaded into the 'Sausage Making' section of my website.

It was designed in an attempt to encourage beginners and show just how easy it is to get started without overcomplicating things.

I have also submitted a copy to Franco for use on the main website if he so wishes to use it, until he acquires something more professional.

http://www.btinternet.com/~happydudevir/

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:45 am

Nice one Paul - well done.

I have just been looking at your film on linking - spot on.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:13 pm

Brilliant linking video PK, even I may be able to do it right now :lol:
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:47 pm

Thanks guys, I was going to do it with a twist after each loop but it would have complicated it a bit. I did forget myself and I did do a twist on one of the links, and nobody noticed.. LOL.. they will now though.. It's force of habit.. :oops:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby David. » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:11 pm

Very good Paul. I thought the sausage mixes from Franco already contained rusk. Do you add extra rusk or are the spice mixes Rusk / Breadcrumb free.?

Confused...

David.
David.
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:52 pm

David

I have always been under the impression they don't, if they do it is very fine, and not much of it. I say that because in the description for the Award Winning Breadcrumb Sausage Mix it clearly states that it contains crumb whereas no rusk is mentioned in any of the others, I quote:-
This is our very special traditional English breadcrumb recipe. This is a complete mix including breadcrumbs and has won numerous gold and silver medals at sausage competitions throughout the uk.
I have always added around 10% rusk when I have made sausages using the mixes and got good results in both texture and flavour. To find out what is exactly in the mixes you would have to ask Franco. I had always believed the mix was made up of spices, dried vegetables onion/garlic powders and granules where appropriate, herbs, seasonings, phosphate powder, monohydrate powder, preservative powder etc, just like a commercial blend (which normally do contain rusk) but without the rusk.
I wouldn't much fancy them without adding rusk.

If anyone can confirm this I would be most interested.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:11 am

Paul,

The Leek and Stilton, breadcrumb and Organic mixes contain either rusk or breadcrumb, all tjhe other mixes are spice blends only. I am still putting together a full ingredients declaration for all my products which should be ready by the end of the week.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:58 am

Thanks for the clarification Franco.
I have always added rusk at 10% even the breadcrumb mix gets 5%. When starting out sausagemaking almost a year ago, I was advised to add between 5% to 15% rusk. I tried both ends first and settled at 10% for my preference. I had just assumed that at the prescribed 20grms t0 40 grms per kilo of meat/fat recommendation for the mixes, that this was too small a percentage to contain enough rusk if any.
What is important at the end of the day is that I like my final product and so do the other people who eat it. I always ask for feedback and it has mainly been good. The only comments I have had have been concerning casings. People are not used to natural casings but soon warm to them, others prefer thinner sausages to the monsters I used to make.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby David. » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:03 pm

Franco,

Thanks for the clarification regarding your mixes. When I joined this forum I called your office to place an order. The person who answered the phone assured me that all your mixes contained either rusk or breadcrumbs.
Not seeing the point in paying postage to ship bread and rusk I asked If it were possible to buy just the herb / spice mix without the binder. The answer was NO. So no order was placed. A woman answered the telephone.

David.

P.S. The postage to Canada is 10 pounds per kilo. So 4 mixes would cost L2.50 each to ship. That is why I did not want to pay for shipping bread.....

David.
David.
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:11 am

Paul, thanks to your linking tutorial, I managed to link sausages the same way. Way cool man... :)
Here's a pic of the experimental batch of italian chicken chipolatas. Made yesterday night.
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:38 am

Lance Yeoh

They look very good. It is not a difficult technique once it is explained properly. Pictures, drawings and explanations only go so far, but to fully understand you need to actually see it being done. When learning to link, I found I was bursting a few in the process. This was down to the mix being a little too dry and also over stuffing the casings, you need to allow for squeezing between the links. I am pleased my effort has been of benefit.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:05 am

Paul, agree with you. Not very difficult since can see the way you do it 'live'. My balloon animal sculpturing skill helped me in part as well. I didn't burst any casings as I left enough room to pinch and twist. This way of linking is actually faster than my old way. Again, thanks. :wink:
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby Simon » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Hi Paul,

the tutorials are great: what do you need to view the linking video? It doesnt seem to want to open with my Mac..
Simon
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:23 pm

Simon

It is just an mpeg and plays using windows media player. Don't know how you would do it using a Mac, must be some freebie out there that will play mpegs. Quicktime should be able to play it.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Simon » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks Paul, will give it a go. I'm doing a pig day tomorrow (1/2 a tamworth) and have brought some of Franco's sausage mixes (the breadcrumb and the pork seasoning) so will let you know how it goes.
Simon
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners