How fast can you make a batch?

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

How fast can you make a batch?

Postby JerBear » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:46 pm

I've been trying to eek out efficiencies in my production recently and while I'm making progress here and there I still feel like it's taking way too long when I'm in production. I little background on my production location.... it's a shared facility so I can't keep anything out on the tables so every time I show up for a production day I have to pull everything out, set it up, fully tear it down and store. Last night I made 4 - 10 lb batches of sausages and from start to finish it was nigh on 6 hrs. I know that my grinder is one choke point as it took me about 75 minutes to double grind 40 lbs of fat-back and shoulder. Also had to spend a lot of time measuring out spices for each individual recipe.

Any thoughts? I think it's about time to upgrade my grinder (any suggestions on manufacturers?). I'm currently using a Tor Rey M12-FS http://www.tor-rey-usa.com/foodequipment/grinders/index.htm. My stuffer is a 12L F.Dick but I seem to be able to move a batch into casings fairly quickly.
JerBear
Registered Member

Re: How fast can you make a batch?

Postby BriCan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:07 pm

250 lbs = 3 hours yesterday, the bad one (time wise for me) was the the one you commented on in Instagram :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:57 pm

WOW!! does that include set up, break down and scrub down? What about weighing spices? I'm assuming that you have a dedicated work area and most of you equipment is already in place?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:18 am

I will reply a bit later in detail, up to my %^$&* in pork middles (40) and trying to get an F-ing screw up fixt from one of my supplies ~~~~ Oh to be in business for ones self ~~ at times like this ~~not :( :evil:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:38 am

For mixing spices you can do common used blends in large batches, combine well and add those to your master batch. When I formulate I tend to start with these blends. I have a blend of marjoram, sage, and savory for instance that I use a lot, then tweak it with perhaps an off the shelf blend of allspice, clove, and mace, or a chinese spice blend. Just an example. Blend these in a very large batch then measure into smaller quantities for typical batch use. In the case of whole spice blends, I blend by weight in the whole form, then grind the blend when needed. If your doing a lot of the same formulation, spend a few hours mixing the whole dry ingredient mix in large quantities, as long as the grain sizes are about the same they should combine well. I would not combine say panko bread crumbs with a spice blend, it won't stay combined. If you keep the ratios the same and mark them as for instance "breakfast 6Kg meat block" then you can scale it based on a percentage of the meat block you have on hand.

For grinding, you might want to think about a larger diameter barrel grinder. I had an opportunity to pick up a huge 5.5 hp 650 kg/hr floor standing grinder that was going to be scrapped for the stainless steel, all it needed was a new motor. Way over capacity for what I need, but works great, and I'll never need another grinder. I'd put a larger grinder on your wish list and keep checking for good used deals.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:07 pm

I agree that my grinder needs an upgrade, it's one of the smallest commercial grinders you can get. I'm in the process of looking at alternate grinders but I'm finding it difficult to locate a lot of information on commercial options. I'm going to a food show in about a month and I'm hoping to speak to some manufacturers there.

Regarding the spices.... that's definately a slow point in my production. Everything is weighed out ad hoc but I haven't been able to find a faster way to do it as there's little commonality in the spicing. All whole spices are toasted and ground as needed and all non-whole spices don't get weighed until needed. I was looking at some of my regular recipes and there's little commonality between them. I'm going to have to give this some more thought, I'm not sure larger blends will work for me until I move into larger production quantites. Most of my batches max at about 30 lbs...
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 am

JerBear wrote:I agree that my grinder needs an upgrade, it's one of the smallest commercial grinders you can get. I'm in the process of looking at alternate grinders but I'm finding it difficult to locate a lot of information on commercial options. I'm going to a food show in about a month and I'm hoping to speak to some manufacturers there

Just a quick note on grinders, top ones in the trade tend to be Hobart and Butcher Boy. Their are probably others but these are by far possibly the safest I know. Just took a quick look on Craigslist down your way http://losangeles..org/sfv/ppd/3898677241.html the two I am looking at are #1034: BUTCHER BOY MEAT GRINDER this one I had at my shop and produced 1200 lbs of sausage a week (Monday 10.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. and Tuesday 10.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.which included set up all the way to clean up) the other is #966: BUTCHER BOY MEAT GRINDER

The 1034 is identical to what mine was and was/is a 1 hp

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:51 am

That does help, do you know what size the butcher boy is that you're recommending? I'm guessing that it's bigger than the #12 I'm working on now.

And by "safe" what are you referring to?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:09 am

JerBear wrote:That does help, do you know what size the butcher boy is that you're recommending?

It's a 1 hp

This might give you more info
http://www.butchersupply.net/equipment/ ... -tca32.php

http://www.butcherboymachines.com/TCA22_DETAIL.htm

CAPACITY: Depending on plate size and product the grinding capacity of the TCA22 will be from 18 to 30 pounds per minute.

I'm guessing that it's bigger than the #12 I'm working on now.

in one word ~~ yep :)

if you are serious about it this is where I started anything smaller IMHO is a waste of time, don't get me wrong ~~ smaller than this is great fro home use and very limited small scale production. Where time is money ...................

And by "safe" what are you referring to?

as in recommendations ~~ I hate going out on a limb recommending something that I have not used Butcher Boy and Hobart I have used and my first preference would be Butcher Boy
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:26 am

On another thought ~~~ sausage stuffer needs to be increased to a 30 lb if your batches are 30 lbs

Tre-spade stuffer or F.Dick
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:29 am

I was thinking that the stuffer was also heading towards replacement soon. And to think, when I purchased the grinder and stuffer I was imagining how long it was going to last me.... :(
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:10 pm

JerBear wrote:I was thinking that the stuffer was also heading towards replacement soon. And to think, when I purchased the grinder and stuffer I was imagining how long it was going to last me.... :(

See wot apperns wen ur that good :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:32 pm

It's a little scary... Just want things to grow slowly and as much under control as possible.... I still have a full-time job elsewhere to worry about...

Also, check out part II of this conversation in a new thread I just started:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11311
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:03 pm

How are you actually determining the amount of spice to weigh out? If you don't have a spreadsheet that factors the spice amount by meat weight you should make one. Liquid can also be done by weight especially if you convert it all to grams and cubic centimeters (1cc liquid ~= 1g). It should take less than 5 min to weigh out 10 ingredients using this method.

As far as grinders go my Cabela's 3/4 horse could probably double grind 40lbs in 30 min conservatively. Cabela's labels them as "commercial" and they work awesome but I don't use mine every day, more like once a month so I cant comment on their longevity at a commercial level of use. The quality may not be the same as a Hobart but at a fraction of the cost it may be worth a try especially if you aren't doing huge volumes yet.

With larger neck grinders the savings is two fold, first in spending less time cutting meat into chunks and second in the grinding time.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:02 pm

An upgraded grinder and stuffer are on the short list of upgrades once I'm fully licensed. I'm currently using a #12 Tor Rey grinder which is a 3/4 hp model. While it is small it's considered commercial and can take a bit of abuse (so far with applomb).

Regarding the spices: I am transitioning to a spreadsheel on iPad that way I can easily convert based on weight of received product. I just need to find the time to do the data-entry. I do weigh most of my liquids except the heavy ones (honey, hot sauce, etc) but can move those to weight once I do my own volume-to-weight conversions. The only thing ever measured by volume is the aforementioned hot sauce or honey, everything else is on the scale. The current method is that my spice are in percentages based on the weight of the meat and are converted as needed per production day. I'm doing a small-ish batch of bratwurst tonight so will try to get the data-entry done on that recipe for tonight.

I also need to get a middle range scale. I have a mini scale only good for up to 500 grams and my larger scale is good up to 40 lb but I need something in between for spices and such in the sub 5 lb range like NFDM, salt. The base of the gram scale is too small to support a container large enough to hold the necessary volume of certain spices (most commonly the salt and NFDM).
JerBear
Registered Member

Next

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.