Double-Grind worth the time?

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Double-Grind worth the time?

Postby JerBear » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:17 pm

In my quest to improve efficiency I called Butcher&Packer to ask about a larger grinder and the salesperson asked if I'd given any thought to just grinding once through my final plate (I normally end up at a 3/16"). I said no, normally I do it twice because that's how I've been taught, I tried it once before and while it worked fine I felt like I was cheating.

His thought was that by grinding twice you're spending more time with the grinder running which in turn heats the unit up and that it's ultimately better to just grind 1x through the final die.

Thoughts? I'm sure that it's more stressful for the machine but not sure much to hurt it, not sure....

(as an aside I know that there are some applications where you might want different sized pieces of meat in your grind)
JerBear
Registered Member

Re: Double-Grind worth the time?

Postby BriCan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:39 pm

JerBear wrote:His thought was that by grinding twice you're spending more time with the grinder running which in turn heats the unit up and that it's ultimately better to just grind 1x through the final die.

Thoughts?

#@$!%&^*$#@

I will go and step into the freezer to cool off :evil:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:58 pm

BriCan wrote:
JerBear wrote:His thought was that by grinding twice you're spending more time with the grinder running which in turn heats the unit up and that it's ultimately better to just grind 1x through the final die.

Thoughts?

#@$!%&^*$#@

I will go and step into the freezer to cool off :evil:

I do sincerely apologies for my out burst .... but but .... I got to go and cool off still :evil:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm sensing some friction and I'm thinking you might not agree with the single grind methodology... Just a hunch... :wink:
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:19 pm

JerBear wrote:I'm sensing some friction

The friction is all within the grinder/mincer :cry:

and I'm thinking you might not agree with the single grind methodology... Just a hunch... :wink:

A single grind is in "some" cases alright .......... but to blatantly say due to the amount of grind you are attempting to do just grind once as it will save time/friction/wear and tear on you and the machine cuz its only 3/4hp

Its as bad as when I was an inspector and people would say that it was alright to shove a 4 inch turd down a two inch hole (water and drains -- same definition)

A 1hp grinder with a large throat and lots of oomph is the minimum that is used for commercial trade anything less is not going to cut it

In your case you had to start somewhere and doing the transition from home hobbyist to hopefully do it full time was the way to go. No good going spending $1000's on eqipment only to find out it is not for you
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm doing a small batch of brats for a catering gig this Saturday and I'll try the single grind method... finger's crossed...
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:01 pm

JerBear wrote:I'm doing a small batch of brats for a catering gig this Saturday and I'll try the single grind method... finger's crossed...

If you are going that route, then dice meat very, very small Dust/mix in spices, garlic and onion then chill till good and nigh on firm then grind once feeding slowly
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Do you normally grind with spices or are you suggesting it for this method? I normally cut the shoulders into strips as long as possible and as large a guage as my grinder will allow so that the auger does all the work. I'm always concerned about spicing beforehand as there will always be some spices left in the bus tub that held the meat as well as in the ginder.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:45 pm

JerBear wrote:Do you normally grind with spices or are you suggesting it for this method?

As I step ever so lightly into the fray :|

I am suggesting for this (one grind/mice method) and if I was to do it for myself then this is the way I would go

I normally cut the shoulders into strips as long as possible and as large a guage as my grinder will allow so that the auger does all the work.

1/4 inch dice -- feed slowly so not to overwork plate and knife as this is the area notorious for heat transfer (motor will also transfer heat along worm.

I'm always concerned about spicing beforehand as there will always be some spices left in the bus tub that held the meat

If meat is wet enough (from own moisture) then spices will be picked up, any residue spice left can be picked up with first meat out of the head I normally would re-drop into grinder

as well as in the ginder.

their is always spice left in the grinder as well as some meat
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Do you also add the liquid through the grinder or after when you mix the meat? I've done both and prefer to do it post grind because the grinder spits less. However, if I'm concerned at all about heat I'll add the cold liquid to the grinder to cool the unit down.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:51 pm

JerBear wrote:Do you also add the liquid through the grinder or after when you mix the meat? I've done both and prefer to do it post grind because the grinder spits less. However, if I'm concerned at all about heat I'll add the cold liquid to the grinder to cool the unit down.

@!%$#*&^!@#$

You did say that you would like to come up and pick up that tub of rinds for scratchings -- do it after aug 22 and I will throw in some lessons free :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 pm

I wish I had an excuse to come north, sadly a bucket of skins wouldn't be enough to convince my wife.

I'm a little confused, do you not add liquid to your sausages or was it the method that rubbed you wrong?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 pm

JerBear wrote:I wish I had an excuse to come north, sadly a bucket of skins wouldn't be enough to convince my wife.

The offer is valid anytime -- I might up it to some of that bacon :wink: You had better convince her that it's not true --- we don not live in igloo's it's only during the winter months we do that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a little confused, do you not add liquid to your sausages or was it the method that rubbed you wrong?

The only time that I would/will add water to a recipe is if their is some type of filler involved

Adding water to a sausage will infact dilute the spice content --- don't believe me :?: then come on up and I will show you. Remember you are making a quality item which when cooked proper like will not shrink -- add water and it will

You are now going to tell me that it is harder to regrind for a second time and adding water helps ease the meat along

Balderdash, niggledeplue --- Now we come full circle -- you need a bigger grinder :roll:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Actually I don't add liquid under after the second grind and usually use the liquid as an additional layer of flavor. For the recent chicken apple sausage I used a reduced apple cider, for a thai chicken brat I used coconut milk and fish sauce, for the west coast IPA I used an IPA beer. I does, however, help in the stuffing process.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Sorry, I thought it was a generic question as I had sussed the process of making the brats as comment was made making brats on Sunday

That said adding 'liquid' as part of the flavor profit is another thing -- 30 lbs of chicken and apple sausage I use 1.8 lt of pure apple juice concentrate and will cook/simmer it down to a thick syrup 300 - 500 gm so now this is not a liquid -- will mix in with spices and regrind via fine plate

The same goes when making a pork and guinness sausage -- reduce liquid down to a thick syrup and add/mix in with spices and regrind via fine plate

Armenian Lamb sausage

lamb, salt, black pepper, mint, fresh garlic

grind lamb with corse plate add spices and garlic, lightly mix (2 minueta at the outside) regrind with fine plate -- place meat into stuffer and stuff into 29/32 hog casings

No water added
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Next

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.