Celery salt vs cure #1

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Celery salt vs cure #1

Postby lulabell » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:01 am

Hello,

I am looking for the amount of celery salt/powder/juice to put in sausages to replace cure #1, or pink salt.

I haven't found a guideline and it seems tricky to calculate the amount of nitrites celery produces. What I have found is that the amount of nitrite per my formulas (around 132 ppm) seems to be lower than the "natural" version of nitrites aka celery, and I would like to regulate the amount put in.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
lulabell.
lulabell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:54 pm

There's some info here:

http://www.malabarsuperspice.com/news/T ... r_1109.pdf

It doesn't give the amounts to use, but does say: "For more information on any of the above, contact us at 1-888-456-6252, or email: csr@malabarsuperspice.com

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Vindii » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Vindii
Registered Member

Postby lulabell » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Thank you, this definitely set me up on the right track.
lulabell.
lulabell
Registered Member

Postby lulabell » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:30 pm

I found the "Niche Meat Processing Community Page" extremely helpful and was able to listen to a webinar that walks one through the "natural" cure process.
lulabell.
lulabell
Registered Member

Re: Celery salt vs cure #1

Postby St-Anthony » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Just a thought here Sodium Nitrate from celery or any natural source will have the same effect on your health as chemical Sodium Nitrate, it will cost you a lot more and the color of the finished product is not as nice. Unless you want to brand your product differently, there are no advantage of using celery originated sodium nitrate. The amount needed per kg is listed on the bag.

PS: Arsenic from a natural source will kill you just as quick as in chemical form.
St-Anthony
Registered Member

Postby ped » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:27 am

Yes St A but it will be 'Totally Natural' which is what some consumers want !!
ped
Registered Member

Postby St-Anthony » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Then Ped it becomes a Branding issue or a product placement issue but it is certainly not a health issue because to say that celery originating sodium nitrate is healthier than its chemical counterpart is a complete falsehood.
St-Anthony
Registered Member

Postby ped » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:40 pm

I agree
ped
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:23 am

Is it worth trying to educate your consumers? I've given this a lot of thought and decided the devil I do know is better than the devil I don't. I'd rather use cure with a known nitrite percent than celery powder which could vary. If a person prefers to be deceived on their dime that's their issue but I'll sleep sound. Interesting article I read earlier today that included some information about this very subject: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/01/03/eating-bacon.aspx
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby St-Anthony » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Excellent article JerBear, as for myself, I do use liquid smoke for my bacon instead of a smokehouse because I find that a convection oven gives me a better finished product. With my convection oven, I get a uniform color all around the slab, I can control the temperature perfectly so my product has looked and tasted the same for years (hopefully with a few improvement). I have always known the anti-cancer genic properties of sodium erythorbate and ascorbic acid. I have never used sodium nitrite without ascorbic acid. I have never used sodium erythorbate because it used to be very expensive (years ago back in the 80s) and the minimum amount that I could buy made it too expensive for me. As you know, the amount of ascorbic acid to be used is 1/8 of a tea spoon per 5 pounds of meat or 1 litre of brine so you can imagine that a 5kg bag of erythorbate would have lasted me for years!. The last time that I put in an order of cure, I asked what was the price of sodium erythorbate because I was running out of ascorbic acid and to my surprise, I bought a 2 kg bag of the stuff for under $10! (way cheaper than ascorbic acid!) I haven't used it yet because my bottle of ascorbate is not empty yet. I am curious to see if it stabilises the colour as good as ascorbic acid.
St-Anthony
Registered Member

Postby anmol77 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:05 am

I'd rather use cure with a known nitrite percent than celery powder which could vary. If a person prefers to be deceived on their dime that's their issue but I'll sleep sound.......
anmol77
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Sun May 29, 2016 11:16 pm

I share your sentiments anmol77. But, some people will want to supply the market - and there is one - of people who, for whatever reason want nitrite from celery rather than a manufactured source.

It should be noted that the original post is from 2011.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.