Teaching sausage making classes?

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Teaching sausage making classes?

Postby Thewitt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:26 am

I'm getting one or two requests a week lately to teach sausage making classes.

I have room in my commercial kitchen for 8 students, in the evening several nights a week when the kitchen is not being used.

I have two mincers and two stuffers appropriate for classroom use. I would not use the mixer, but would have them mix by hand.

My idea was to provide several recipes, all the supplies of course, and have each student pick a different recipe. These would be fresh only, stuffed into hog or sheep casings, and of course the students would take away their sausages, a recipe book with a couple dozen recipes available online, and an apron (I have a large quantity from purchasing for my employees in bulk...).

I would plan on 3 hours for the class, and would include one of my staff to help me manage the students.

We would prepare meat and chill in advance of the class, set aside in 1kg batches. The students would be shown how to clean and prep pork butt, but in order to limit knife use, we would actually start them with cubed, chilled pork and fat mixes ready for the grinder.

Any comments?

Mistakes to avoid?

Suggestions?

Looking for feedback from anyone who has done this before, as well as anyone with anything to comment.

I'm going to hold a practice class with friends first - a dry run - to test the material and process.....

I think I found an acceptable price based on pre-registrations to date (32 people signed up as interested & left contact information).

I've decided to package up casings as well as spice mixes for sale for anyone who just wants to buy a "kit" or spice mix and not deal with the individual specs for all of the supplied recipes.

A reasonable profit is made with 8 students after covering all costs including paying the teachers - so I do not have to teach every class to make it worthwhile.
Thewitt
Registered Member

Re: Teaching sausage making classes?

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 am

It seems like the ideal 'add on' for your business.

I wish you every success.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby GUS » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:37 pm

If you were over here, i'd be attending that with my daughter to make the process easier on her (not driven hard by dad, along the lines of not teaching your family how to drive).

Wish you every success.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby Thewitt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:46 pm

GUS wrote:If you were over here, i'd be attending that with my daughter to make the process easier on her (not driven hard by dad, along the lines of not teaching your family how to drive).

Wish you every success.

Funny you should say that.

One of my customers is the owner/chef of a local restaurant who clearly knows how to make sausage, and he wants both his kids to take my class.

Thanks for the well wishes. I will be sure to post my experience. I just finished butchering 8 pig sides and now it is time to shower and sleep in Malaysia!
Thewitt
Registered Member

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.