Panchetta

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Panchetta

Postby Dingo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Yo yo all,
I was making some bacon recently (honey bourbon, maple and pea meal) and decided to use my last belly to try a panchetta. I went with the recipe in rhulmans recipe. Here it is in the chamber;

i let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks :D
Dingo
Registered Member

Re: Panchetta

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Looks great! I too have used that recipe and it is really good, best one in that book imho

How is the drying coming along? I used red wine vinegar to wipe off any mold and liked the added element that it brought to the taste.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:25 pm

ComradeQ wrote:Looks great! I too have used that recipe and it is really good, best one in that book imho

How is the drying coming along? I used red wine vinegar to wipe off any mold and liked the added element that it brought to the taste.

Thanks ComradeQ....the panchetta has been in the cabinet for 15 days now, however it still seems very soft...not firm at all. So i'm leaving it in for a while longer.
I must say, that's the only think I dont like about the recipe in Charcaturie, i much prefer a % weight loss figure than the ambiguous "feel" approach. Otherwise I've enjoyed the book. :D
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:12 pm

15 days seems 'early days', particularly for a rolled pancetta. I'd expect them to take a month to be at a stage where they could be served without cooking. I aim for at least 30%+ weight loss, but sometimes with 'good and fatty' bellies, have to settle for 20 - 25%.

Of course, for cooking, you can just give it a couple of weeks or so.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:41 pm

just as an observation there are many more chances of troubles/significantly longer drying times for arotolata than a simple tesa.

we only roll particularly special pancetta that will be eaten as cold meats, all others for cooking etc are left flat.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Tesa can be done in a regular fridge as well. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:46 pm

quietwatersfarm wrote:we only roll particularly special pancetta that will be eaten as cold meats, all others for cooking etc are left flat.

+1

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dingo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks guys,
I'm in no rush for the pancetta...it's the only thing in the cabinet right now. I'm kicking myself for not weighing it prior to putting it in the cabinet. You live and learn. :oops:

It's interesting to hear about your ideas for pancetta versus tesa...i hadn't thought about it like that. My goal is for an uncooked old cut.

I think I'll weigh the cut now...at least I can monitor further weight loss..and make some assumption as to weight loss to date.

Thx Stephan
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:00 pm

Ok..so i couldn't wait any longer and had to cut into my pancetta :shock: Before you all start bestowing the virtues of patience upon me...keep reading.....

The reason for my decision was two fold...
Firstly...the pancetta has been very slow to loose weight...giving me cause for concern.
Secondly...i realized that Rhulmans recipe is not designed to eaten as a cold cut..rather it needs to be cooked. Which means I used Cure #1 not #2.
The Pancetta has been in my cabinet (60F@50%) for just over a month. I lightly fried a sliver today and it was sure tasty, but (depending on if i make it through the night) i assume i shouldn't eat it uncooked? What are your thoughts?
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:54 am

Dingo wrote:Ok..so i couldn't wait any longer and had to cut into my pancetta :shock: Before you all start bestowing the virtues of patience upon me...keep reading.....

The reason for my decision was two fold...
Firstly...the pancetta has been very slow to loose weight...giving me cause for concern.
Secondly...i realized that Rhulmans recipe is not designed to eaten as a cold cut..rather it needs to be cooked. Which means I used Cure #1 not #2.

So??

Ok it seems that you have experienced the 'temperature swing/mood' -- it went slow instead of the faster rate -- it happens and believe me you learn to go with the flow :) If you had kept on drying until really firm you could have eaten as a cold cut -- I have always used cure #1and done long term -- now before anyone/everyone has a hissy fit I will state hear and now on this score long term cure #2 short term cure #1

The Pancetta has been in my cabinet (60F@50%) for just over a month. I lightly fried a sliver today and it was sure tasty, but (depending on if i make it through the night) i assume i shouldn't eat it uncooked? What are your thoughts?

If it was dryer (as I said above) I would eat it
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks Brican...i ended up slicing half of the pancetta for cooking and re-hung the other half for further drying....
Here's breakfast this morning....pancetta, jalapeno & cheese sausage patties and eggs :drool:

The pancetta is awesome.....i've been a fool :oops: i should've been aging bellies like this from the beginning ( i went through 50lbs of bellies in the last 12 months and this is my first pancetta :shock: )
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:26 pm

My feeling is what you have there is some very nice, well matured, bacon. Never anything wrong with that!

As Robert set out, if left to dry further it will only get better I'm sure. :)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:26 pm

BriCan wrote:I have always used cure #1 and done long term...

The EU scientists note, that even when the Cure #1 could be considered 'expired', the protection it gives continues:

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/14.pdf

The meat will also have some protection due the reduction of water activity (Aw) through drying.

That said, for most it still makes a lot of sense to use cure #2.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dingo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks mates....i live and learn another day.
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:13 am

wheels wrote:The EU scientists note, that even when the Cure #1 could be considered 'expired', the protection it gives continues:

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/14.pdf

The meat will also have some protection due the reduction of water activity (Aw) through drying.

That said, for most it still makes a lot of sense to use cure #2.

Phil

might be slow in my old age :wink: but things do come to pass :mrgreen:

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Next

Return to Recipes for cured meats