Dutch Rookworst Recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Postby DanMcG » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:24 am

Thanks you for the recipe Zulululu, and Culinairezaken for the original. I will give it a try.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:27 pm

As there are 2 different topics about this subject, I will submit my results in this toipc as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the surprising result of my first trial to replicate the famous Hema rookworst. From now on it won't be trials any more, as the result is PERFECT !

Results:
The meat structure is " spot on ", other trials always ended with a dry, ground-beef structure, this one I made a bit coarser, as I like a bit coarser.
The taste is right as I remember, as I hoped for....
The typical " bite " is exactly the same, including the " knak ",also juicy like the original one.
The color is a bit less brown on the outside, perhaps it has something to do with the casings, I used hog casings, but was advised to use sheep casings. I smoked for 36 hours with apple.
The sausage does not " swell " as much as the original, when warmed up in water, but still is juicy on the inside, the pictures show it all.

So how did I achieve this result at my first trial ?

I have to be honest with you all.....I had some help from an " inside " guy. Some weeks ago I met a retired Dutch person in Montreal, and I told him I was experimenting with my new smoker, and that the ultimate goal was to replicate Dutch frikandellen and rookworst. To my big surprise, he told me that he had knowledge about the ingredient recipes of both......my first question was if he wanted something more to drink...... :lol:
When I started to push for answers he told me he could not tell me, as he wanted to stay loyal to the company he had worked for in the past, but he was willing to provide me the mix for both, and I could get more after that if I wanted. At first I thought.....this cannot be true...then I though he wanted to make money, but it can't be that, as he does not ask much for the mix.
I did the Dutch frikandellen last week, and they were perfect as well, I had to wait for my sausage-stuffer to do the rookworst, it came in 2 days ago, and the result is in the pictures....I sure hope he has a healthy eating habit, as I have to depend on him, I don't know the formula, it is all done only take meat and water....and his mix.
I can sell some mix to interested persons, you need to pm me for that, it is not my intention to run a commercial site on this.

Isn't it a small world.....

Hoggy
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

perfect rookwurst

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:42 am

Hi Hoggy,
Those pictures of the rookworst you made makes he hungry. They look perfect and as you wrote are perfect in taste as well.
Hell, I am jealous.
My computer at home collapsed in a screaming heap so I am now using the work computer. Faster and a bigger screen too so twice as hungr now.
I will contact you again when I am back on line at home.
Best regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 am

Nice looking sausage Hoggy, and I might take you up on your offer of a sampling of the rookworst seasoning. I always wanted to try a authentic flavored one.
Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi Hoggy,
Those look great.Pity I am too far from you would love to test some.But I think you need to do a bit of work on your new found friend and keep bending his rubber arm a bit more. :lol:
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:30 pm

I think you need to do a bit of work on your new found friend and keep bending his rubber arm a bit more

No use in trying to bend his arm, I am sure it will go against me if I do that. He doesn't ask much for it, he alows me even to provide to others, as long as it's not kilos.....
Anyway, he travels a lot, he's gone for 6 weeks now, but I have stock, so no problem.

I think he's just an honest guy.
" The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. " ( Frank Hebert )
Hoggy
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Of course this guy is honest. He is a Dutchman, thats enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Jan. Brisbane.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Hoggy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hoggy
Registered Member

Re: Dutch Rookworst Recipe

Postby hnblarms » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:48 pm

I visited my family in Holland this last spring and I absolutely fell in love with Rookwurst. I make sausage almost every week, and being from the USA no body knows how to make Rookwurst. Can anybody help me with a recipe? Any and all information would be wonderful. Thanks.
hnblarms
Registered Member

Postby badjak » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:56 am

in case you can read dutch:
http://www.zelfmaakrecepten.nl/rookworst-zelf-maken/
Haven't tried it myself yet, but will be one of these days
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Postby hnblarms » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks I will try to get ahold of my famlily and have it translated, I sadly cant read dutch.
hnblarms
Registered Member

Postby Coldcure » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 pm

It can be translated using a search engine.
Coldcure
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:04 am

You can. But, I've just done that, and I'm still none the wiser! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It'd be helpful if a member who's conversant with the dutch language could translate. :D :D :wink:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:18 am

wheels wrote:You can. But, I've just done that, and I'm still none the wiser! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It'd be helpful if a member who's conversant with the dutch language could translate. :D :D :wink:

Phil

Maybe give Jan (crustyo44) a shout
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:20 am

Hi Phil,
Which recipe did you actually wanted translated. Let me know and it will be done.
For members living in Canada, I noticed that a major supplier to the Butchering Trade
listed a complete Rookworst Spice for sale in 1 kg bags. I forgot their name but I will post it on the forum when I find out.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes