First Sopressata

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

First Sopressata

Postby ozzy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:37 am

I'm highly impressed at the outcome, I just wish I knew it was so easy. Next time I'll grind the whole peppercorns. I wasn't to happy with them whole.
ozzy
Registered Member

Re: First Sopressata

Postby Dingo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Nice....what recipe did you use?
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Looks great!
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Kizer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 pm

I am looking for a good, easy, Sopressata recipe. What one did you use?
Kizer
Registered Member

Postby ozzy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:32 am

Can outside links be used? If so mods let me know here or PM.
ozzy
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:13 pm

As long as they are to safe websites, they are OK.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ozzy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:02 pm

I used Sausagemakers.com sopressata mixture and added 1/2 teaspoon of chili flake per 5# of pork butt. I also added 1/4 cup per 5# pinot grigio and also used bactoferm F-RM-52 @ 1/2 teaspoon per 10 pounds and cure #2. I put it in the fridge for two days before stuffing mixing it once a day. I stuffed in protein lined casings and put them in my mini fridge (has separate freezer door on this model) and let them set at 50 degrees and 70 percent humidy for about 7 weeks.
ozzy
Registered Member

Postby Kizer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Nice! Thanks for the info!
Kizer
Registered Member

Postby ozzy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm not afraid of heat, if you are I would cut back or eliminate the chili flake. I'm going to cut it in half myself on the next batch to get a more traditional taste.
ozzy
Registered Member

Postby ozzy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Kizer wrote:Nice! Thanks for the info!

Your welcome, I'm all about sharing.
ozzy
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Just a couple of quick comments from a not-so-experienced salami maker....Firstly I don't know, nor could I find an ingredient list for, anything about the SM blend you used. So take these comments with a grain of salt if I'm stating the obvious. :oops:

- Did you incubate the sausage? FRM52 requires >70F temps & high humidity to activate. If they spent the two days in a fridge under that temp and low humidity...then no fermentation would have been achieved...One less hurdle for protection.

- Did you test the pH? The test strips are cheap and will give you peace of mind.

- Not to say that this is the correct procedure...however typically I mix and stuff immediately, followed by fermentation, followed by aging. Mixing the meat multiple times presents issues with fat smear and also meat temp risks, apart from being a pain in the ass. In fact, i would think, as I've never tried it, that a properly fermented mixture would be hard to mix..it stiffens up significantly.

Obviously, i hope, you've eaten the salami with no ill effects...I don't know if the published procedures for making salami are overkill, but i'd rather not have a bout of Botulism if I can help it. :shock: These are the rules designed to give us home DIY guys the opportunity to make some awesome product.

Anyway, welcome to salami world..read lots, ask questions and enjoy the fruits of your labor. There are gurus on this site :!:
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby ozzy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:46 pm

Dingo wrote:Just a couple of quick comments from a not-so-experienced salami maker....Firstly I don't know, nor could I find an ingredient list for, anything about the SM blend you used. So take these comments with a grain of salt if I'm stating the obvious. :oops:

- Did you incubate the sausage? FRM52 requires >70F temps & high humidity to activate. If they spent the two days in a fridge under that temp and low humidity...then no fermentation would have been achieved...One less hurdle for protection.

- Did you test the pH? The test strips are cheap and will give you peace of mind.

- Not to say that this is the correct procedure...however typically I mix and stuff immediately, followed by fermentation, followed by aging. Mixing the meat multiple times presents issues with fat smear and also meat temp risks, apart from being a pain in the ass. In fact, i would think, as I've never tried it, that a properly fermented mixture would be hard to mix..it stiffens up significantly.

Obviously, i hope, you've eaten the salami with no ill effects...I don't know if the published procedures for making salami are overkill, but i'd rather not have a bout of Botulism if I can help it. :shock: These are the rules designed to give us home DIY guys the opportunity to make some awesome product.

Anyway, welcome to salami world..read lots, ask questions and enjoy the fruits of your labor. There are gurus on this site :!:
The SM mix I don't know the blend and I don't blame them for not sharing, I wouldn't share myself if that was my company but I can say it was great. The bactoferm I mixed with room temp distilled water and let sit for 30 minutes to wake up per SM directions. They didn't say anything about blooming and I went by their directions since they are in the business. When I mixed it again I just turned a couple of times with a spatula as not to smear the fat. Since this being my first dry cured product I was the guinea pig and ate a small slice and waited till the next day with no ill effects, only a desire to consume more. I have been making bacon and other short term cured meats for many years so I am familiar with the procedures but never attempted dry curing but glad I did. Thanks for the warnings and may newbies read this. Image
ozzy
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats