Happy New Year and New Projects

Introductions and chatter

Happy New Year and New Projects

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:54 am

Here's wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2020! :D I've started planning an Italian and a Korean snack sticks, a new chicken sausage and a British sausage that I tasted last fall. What's everyone else planning?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Global Moderator

Re: Happy New Year and New Projects

Postby Swing Swang » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 am

Due to ill health shortly after moving into a 400 year house on a smallholding with a holiday business things have stalled on the sausage making front - I have an amazing wife who has kept things together, and as a consequence we've kept the momentum going.

On the sausage front the big project is the polytunnel - still a frame at the moment as I am wheelbarrowing 15 tonnes of compost into it, although the cover should go on next week. I'm setting it up as a 'no-dig' system, which I hope will allow me to keep gardening for a few years longer than would otherwise be possible in the probable event of frailty.

The idea has always been to grow a lot of capsicum/sweet bell peppers to turn them in to massa de pimentao, an essential ingredient in Alenjejo-style Portuguese chourico and which makes up about 5% of the total mix. Anything that I over produce can be sold into the Portuguese community.

If the land dries out and I can get the fencing contractors in before the spring I'd like some weaners in this year too, but they may have to wait until next year. The idea was to be able have a salami from my own pigs, own capsicum paste, own garlic, own sea salt within 5years of arriving which takes us to July 2022.

Where there is no vision, the people perish - Proverbs 29:18

Happy New Year to you all

Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Return to Chatter