Want to make some beef sausage snacks

Recipes for all sausages

Want to make some beef sausage snacks

Postby veener79 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:51 pm

As I had posted I got a deer 2 weeks ago and before I make some treats out of it I want to try it on beef. What I want to make is some jerky sausage. I have the sheep casings for it and I have the gun to pump out the meat. I am just wondering does anyone have any good recipes for making this. More or less I am looking to make a slimjim type thing. I just want to try with beef before I screw up venison.

With the deer the extra meat is all ground and I have never make any kind a jerky from ground meat so I went to Cables and got their kit just for ground meat. Thanks for any help.
veener79
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:15 am

To make jerky you don't need any casing. Just grind the meat add spices and mix. Shoot out of your jerky gun onto drying screens then dry. I made 10# last week of Venison jerky my favorite is the Hawaiian. Here are the recipes. If you are going to try beef make sure you grind your own lean meat. Don't use ground chuck as it has too much fat to make jerky. No fat is best!

Jerky

Mexican
2lbs ground meat
2tsp salt
� tsp black pepper
2 tsp coriander
� tsp chili powder
� tsp ground ginger
� tsp ground cumin
� tsp tumeric
� tsp mace
� tsp cayenne
� cup water.
Add spices to water and dissolve as much as possible, add water to meat mix well extrude onto your drying racks and place in dehydrator until done.

Texas
2 lbs ground meat
2tsp salt
� tsp black pepper
1tsp chili powder
1tsp paprika
1tsp garlic powder
� tsp cayenne
� tsp oregano
� cup water

New England
2 lbs ground meat
� tsp black pepper
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp salt
� tsp ground nutmeg
� tsp ground ginger
� cup soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
� cup water

New Orleans
2 lbs ground meat
� tsp black pepper
� tsp cayenne
1 tsp onion powder
� tsp paprika
1 � tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
� cup water.

Italian
2 lbs ground meat
� tsp salt
� cup soy sauce
� cup Worcestershire sauce
� tsp sugar
1tsp garlic powder
1 tsp tomato sauce
� tsp crushed anise seed

Guadalajara
2 lbs ground meat
� cup BBQ sauce
� cup water
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp powdered fajita mix
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
� tsp chili powder
� tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt.

Hawaiian
2 lbs ground meat
1tsp salt
1tbsp brown sugar
� tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground ginger
� tsp black pepper
� cup soy sauce
� cup pineapple juice.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:24 am

Now if you must have a snack stick here is what I do, Just substitute venison for the beef.

Pepperetts

8 Lbs. Pork shoulder fatty
7 Lbs. Lean ground beef
6 Tbs. Salt
9 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Chile powder
1.5 Tbs. Cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. Crushed red Chile flakes
1.5 Tbs. Black pepper
1 Tbs. White pepper
1 Tbs. Prague powder #2
1 Tbs. Mace
1.5 Tbs. Sugar
3 Tbs. Ground Mustard
3 Tbs. Ground Coriander
6 Tbs. Milk powder
� tsp. starter culture
1 liter cold water

Grind meats through a fine plate, re grind to mix. Add spices and water, mix well. Dissolve starter culture in � cup of water and mix into meat. Stuff into 22mm collagen casings. Link into 10 � lengths. Incubate for 48 hrs at room temp. Hang in smoker and dry for about 1 hr. at 130 F, apply a heavy smoke for about 3 hrs. smoke to 140 internal. Allow to cool. Then hang to dry to desired texture..

Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby veener79 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:30 am

Wow thanks. I got some beef bottom round roasts that were on sale and I just have to trim the fat off. Yea I do know the less fat the better I want to try to get it as lean as I can. I have about 9lbs of beef before trimming so I am hopping since I chose the leanest ones that I will have have about 8lbs to play with.

I have to say a lot of those sound good so I think I am going to play with the ones that sound the best and give them a try. I just want to try beef and if I screw that up it is OK I just do not want to screw up the venison mostly from my first deer.
veener79
Registered Member

Postby Buckskin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:10 pm

I have tried Big Guys recipe for Landjaegers and Pepperetts.

The Landjaegers were exactly as I was hoping for. As good or better than any Landjaeger that I have tried. Next batch I'm planning on adding a little jalapeno. Also wondering if I could get away using sheep casing for a thinner sausage. The hog casings make a pretty large snack sausage.

The pepperetts look perfect, but not what I was looking for in flavor/texture. They are very much like a Slim Jim, so if that is what your looking for they would be perfect. I was hoping/looking for more of a summer sausage type hot stick. I'm thinking that I need to find a recipe that does not have the culture added. Could probably get by with the same recipe minus the culture and using pink salt instead of #2. There really isn't a need for the nitrate because there is no aging period like the Landjaegers.
Buckskin
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:48 am

For a smaller casing in this application collagen casings work fine. get the 22 mm or even the smaller 19 mm for your slim jims or pepperettes. Sheep casings would work but they will be slightly bigger usealy 24-26 mm.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:18 pm

I've tried some pepperettes without culture as I didn't have any, and substituted the milk powder and water for milk, time will tell :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Buckskin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:28 pm

Let us know how they turn out Dave. Mine were dried down plenty in about 4 days. Landjaegers took about 2 weeks.
Buckskin
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm doing them with pork only and more like jerky, but I'll report back.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Buckskin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:58 pm

Pork only can only make it better in my opinion.
Buckskin
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:20 am

Dave,
I don't think the milk was a good choice, the milk powder is used for the protein content which acts as a binder and gives these type of sausages their texture.
These are a variation of the Polish sausage posted by Wittdog
Tesco's value non fat skimmed works OK, I use Witt's recipe with smaller casings for the kids snack sausages.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:54 pm

Yes LD I agree, but I had no milk powder and I didn't think the extra bit of fat from 3% fat milk would affect anything, and that using real milk might partially make up for the lack of culture. It was a gamble so I only made a kilo.

I rolled them out as a slab 3/4" thick, cut them down into smaller pieces and they have dried on a sunny windowsill for 5 days and are now ~1/2" thick

They taste divine...

Dave
Last edited by saucisson on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:59 pm

As I don't know what a slim Jim or a summer sausage is supposed to taste like, I can't help much on that front, but I'll be making them again.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Recipes