Ridiculous I know BUT Anyone have a Low fat sausage recipe?

Introductions and chatter

Postby saucisson » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:33 am

:lol: :lol:

I asked for that... :D

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby hmmm sausages » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:12 pm

How did you get on Dave?

I will post the ingredients to the sainsburys be good to yourself" sausages and see what people think.

I might just proper ones I have made, then go to the gym lol or buy bigger clothes :o)
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:39 pm

I've just this second put them in the oven :D

6 different variants and I'll test them out blind on the family shortly. I'll ask them which tastes best, then tell them what % fat each one is and get them to choose again, then I'll tell them what's in them :lol:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:35 pm

Well the votes have been cast and we have a winner :)

We had Pork medallions at 2.2% fat, turkey breast at 0.8% fat and Pork Shoulder Fat at 100% fat. The pork and turkey were minced once semi frozen on a small plate, the fat was minced frozen on the same plate. All got the same dose of professional pork sausage seasoning with rusk and were individually frozen hand mixed to a sticky consistency ready for combining. Freshly Rehydrated Soya mince (0.4% fat) was mixed with the same seasoning/rusk mix as a meat substitute in some mixes. Agar (a seaweed derived vegetable equivelant of gelatine) was used in the low fat mixes)

1) 80% Pork and 20% pork shoulder fat, 10% water added ~18% fat

My Normal British Banger positive control :)

2) 100% Pork, 10% agar mix added (6% agar so 0.6% in sausage) ~ 2% fat

3) 100% Turkey, 10% agar mix added ~0.8% fat

4) equal mix of Pork and Turkey, 10% agar mix added ~1.5% fat

5) equal mix of Pork and Soya, 10% agar mix added ~1.2% fat

6) equal mix of Turkey and Soya, 10% agar mix added ~0.5%fat

and oven cooked on a rack to avoid cross contamination.

None of the subjects knew exactly what was going on other than I was mixing all sorts of ingredients together. All sausages were stuffed into collagen casings and with the Girls help (4 and 6) all was ready about 2 hours later than if I had done it on my own :lol:

Despite the differences in mixes all sausages bound together very well and cut cleanly after cooking with no crumbliness apparent. The girls , I suspected, would make poor experimental subjects but were included in the initial rounds. My wife and son (13) were the main experiment.

No clues were given as to what was in what sausage. An initial taste test was of the Pork and Turkey, "please base your scores out of 10 on whether you like subsequent sausages more or less, assuming this sausage is 5" .

Both girls announced it was the best sausage they had ever tasted and it was also well taken by the grown ups . The girls then didn't like the next few saying they wanted more of the first, so although a trend was noted they took no further part in testing.

Marks were awarded out of 10, the initial taste test also being tested as a contender later on. Some were tasted more than once. They weren't tested in any particular order, but the positive control, the British Banger, was deliberately placed in the middle of the tests.

The Winner: 6 points No. 4
2nd 5 points No. 5
3rd 4 points No. 2
4th 3 points No. 3
5th 2 points No. 6
6th 1 points No. 1

The British Banger came last :shock: I was expecting it to get 10 :oops:

Clearly I expected it to trounce the lot and then I would move on to stage two, the best of the rest, but the winner was consistently picked out three times as being the nicest, and scored close to its baseline setting of 5.

The rest of the tests:

1a) What is the smallest amount of sausage mix you can put in a hobby stuffer and have nothing come out of the stuffing tube?
1b) Does it only appear to take longer to wind the plunger back out the more times you have to do it, or is this a quantifiable phenomenon?

2) Do you prefer your sausage casserole fresh, reheated one, two or three times (at 24hr intervals)?

3) What happens if I mix the left over pork fat and left over Soya at 100:0%, 50:50% and 0:100% :mrgreen: ?

are probably of less interest to the forum as a whole :wink: .

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:14 am

saucisson wrote:Ok, I have my raw materials :)

Healthy Eating Pork Medallions at 2.2% fat and turkey breast fillets at 0.8% fat. I bought some agar flakes as a gelatine substitute and will try a few different mixes to see what I can concoct.

Any more suggestions before I start will be welcome :)

Dave

Dave
Excuse my ignorance but what are agar flakes?
I am going to try your winning recipe out and haven't a clue what the flakes are.
John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:48 am

they are used in Japanse cooking as a gelling agent. I got them in the speciality section in Sainsburys. It's a gelatine substitute, so I'm sure you could use gelatine instead.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby hmmm sausages » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:47 pm

You made jelly sausages? No wonder the girls liked them lol

You should have thrown in a celebraty banger from millets farm shop too and compare the commercial offerings lol

So how healthy is the winning sausage? Could you list the full ingredients as i will need to calculate the weight watchers points to compare. Being fat is rubbish :(
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:58 pm

This was a first attempt so I will be tinkering with the recipe some more but here it is for now, scaled up to 1kg meat:

500g Healthy eating pork medallions 2.2% fat
500g turkey breast fillets 0.8% fat
150g Scobies Glenfresh Pork Sausage mix
100ml Agar water (1 rounded tablespoon dissolved in 250ml water)
3 tablespoons skimmed milk powder

Scobies mix:
Typical Nutritional Values Per 100g of Seasoning

Energy 1,452.7KJ, 342.3Kcal
Protein 8.9g
Carbohydrates 73.8g
of which sugars 1.7g
Fat 1.4g
of which saturates 0.3g
of which polyunsaturates 0.4g
Fibre 3.7g
Sodium 3.2g
Equivalent as Salt 8.6g

So overall they work out as ~1.4% fat , assuming the skimmed milk powder and agar are fat free.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:28 pm

Superb work Dave :D

Your meat % in the finished sausage is higher than most specs I can find which are between 60-70%. Yours is about 80% which is great.

Looking at the Glenfresh specs on Scobies site I estimate the rusk to be about 120g per kg of meat. Given that there is also wheat starch in the mix (more than the salt level so greater than 13g per kg meat) it should be possible to increase the water to 180-240gm giving the possibility of using less meat. This would allow the use of slightly fattier pork (if available) and reduce the cost; which to a pauper like me is quite high at �3.60 for the pork and �2.99 for the turkey, at Sainsbury's. What do you think?

Regards

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby aris » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 pm

What is the Glenfresh seasoning like taste wise?
aris
Site Admin

Postby saucisson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:44 pm

@ Phil That's what comes of me thinking I knew what the % water was in the original Scobies recipe without checking it :oops: Yes the water should be double what I used, so I would certainly double up on the agar water. The mai reason I used the meddallions was because they stated on the packet what the fat content was. Picking carefully some of their cheaper diced pork looked just as lean.

@Aris The Glenfresh is a spicy herby sausage reminiscent of a Lincolnshire. I used it as a baseline, next time I will probably use my own herbs, spices and rusk.

The next tweak will probably be to use an agar based stock rather than just water and agar.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:36 pm

I need to bite the bullet:

Anybody else tried this or something simlar I was thinking about

500 gms lean pork
500 gms turkey
135gms rusk
200 mls agar water or gelatine mix
3 tbs skimmed milk
25gms spice mix (probably cumberland)

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:40 am

Sounds like a good place to start Jim.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Jim

Looks good. I reckon you could even lower the meat content more - many commercial sausages (inc. many butchers) won't have as much as your 73% as seen in this award winning one made with Guinness which you could possibly adapt?

Bookham Boozy Sausage
Bob Daniels, Ken Davey Butchers, Great Bookham, Surrey

INGREDIENTS %
Pork or Beef 66.5
Rusk 13.3
Salt 1.2
Guinness 18.5
Seasoning 0.5

SEASONING MIX %
1 Teaspoon of Allspice 16.7
4 Teaspoons of Coriander 66.7
1 Teaspoon of Pepper 16.7

METHOD
1 Mince meat through a 5mm plate.
2 Add rusk and seasonings and mix, slowly add the Guinness and mix. Stand for 15 minutes.
3 Re-mince through 5mm plate and fill into casings.
4 Leave overnight to dry.

As you won't be using the Guinness, please send it to me!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:17 pm

I keep meaning to try that one as I grew up about 4 miles from that butchers, never knowing it was there, as it was in the next village...

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter