More salami

Recipes for all sausages

More salami

Postby grisell » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:25 am

I made two types this time: 3.3 kg of Genovese and 4.6 kg of Jésus de Lyon. The Genovese was a repetition of the successful batch depicted here: http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... 85&start=0 and for the Jésus de Lyon I adapted federico's proposal here http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=7248 for seasoning. I used a white wine reduction with garlic, cloves and nutmeg. The casings are beef middles and a test with an artificial fibrous 72 mm (the red one) for the Genovese and a beef bung for the Jésus.

At first, I thought that SEK 85/£ 8/US$ 13 was expensive for one beef bung, but in view of the fact that it easily swallowed 4½ kg of filling, with lots of room left, it's not that expensive anyway.

Stuffing the Jésus de Lyon.

All ready for incubation/fermentation. Reports will follow.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:49 pm

hi andre
if those are your hands, you do NOT look like you weigh 900 pounds. so, since you make gazillions [about as much as the US defecit in $] of pounds of sausages, what do you do with them all? do you own a shop? have millions of friends? feed eastern europe? store them in a salt mine? drop them in the marianna trench? have them vaporized by the cern collider? drop them by the roadside and deny all knowlege? launch them towards the sun? microsize them using your ho-made zapotron? hmmmmmm??
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:12 pm

:lol: :lol:

No, that's my wife's hands. No, I don't know what to do with them. I just make them. Unfortunately, I just recently lost my job, so now I'm on unemployment payment. I filled my two fridges with salami and ham so I guess we'll be eating those in the future... :D

Anyway, having two refrigerators full of salami and air-dried ham isn't too bad when famine comes! 8) :wink:
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:24 am

Looks wonderful. I'll be anxiously watching for your updates.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:31 pm

well, you sure do a great job. wish i could take some of these off of your hands. bummer about the employment. snowing in wisconsin today. go packers!!
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:29 pm

So, after 72 hours of incubation and fermentation, they have been moved to the drying chamber. It's a little annoying that the mould seems to be sporadic. I don't know why the funghi avoid some spots. I keep my fingers off them. They seem to grow better on the natural casings than on the red one, which is a good sign.

I'm sure it'll be ok. It usually will be... :wink:

Reports will follow.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:52 pm

It would be normal to tie those smaller salami off, both at the top and bottom, to avoid the air pockets that you currently have.

What's the paint bucket for?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:03 am

Yeah, sure. I wanted to make those smaller sausges as a test. I'm aware of the air pockets. It's a kind of experiment to see if it turns out well anyway. Thank you for observing it though. It's very nice to have friends seeing those things. This time it's intentional, but maybe not next time, so as said thanks anyway!

The bucket holds the sensor for my weather station. That one monitors temperature within +/- .5 C and RH +/- 1% (so they say). It's connected to the computer, so I can see not only the min/max but also calculate the average temp and RH.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:11 am

Can you post the details please.

Is it wireless?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:42 am

Tomorrow. :D Thanks for asking.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:34 am

The weatherstation is from this manufacturer: http://www.termometerfabrikenviking.se/index.htm but it's an older model, not shown on their website. Yes, it's wireless. I bought it a year ago for SEK 999 (about £ 90/US$ 150). Of course, I don't use all the functions such as precipitation meter and wind meter; just temperature and humidity. I'm really satisfied with it since it allows me to have constant control over the parameters. Well worth its price.

These are the values for the last 24 hours:

The temperature is the red line (the green is the dewpoint). One can see when I loaded the drying chamber with seven kilos of salami - temperature went up. The zigzag pattern is of course when the fridge turns on and off.

And the relative humidity:

It is extremely sensitive. Here is the air pressure. The spikes are when I open a window in my apartment. That makes a one millibar difference!

André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi Phil, Have a lokk at this one:

http://www.red-onions.co.uk/product_inf ... s_id=93580

Looks a very good instrument for price and comes with pc software.

Regards Gazza.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks Gazza, that really looks the business ...and more.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 am

wheels wrote:Can you post the details please.

Is it wireless?

Phil

The best feature with a computer interfaced weather station is the ability to acquire data sheets like these (columns from left to right: date, time, RH%, temp deg C):

which easily can be copy/pasted into e.g. Excel to calculate the averages of the parameters over a specified time. Diagrams are just graphics and IMO this is what is necessary and the reason I bought a weather station. Knowing the temp and RH on a specific occasion is not enough if it varies like it does in a refrigerator when the compressor turns on and off. Neither is a min/max thermometer. And you probably don't have the time and patience to take all those readings yourself every 5 minutes.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes