Help with Hickory Smoke powder

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Help with Hickory Smoke powder

Postby stardust56 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:19 am

I bought some of this a while back and thought you would just have to rub it on meat but I was wrong. I don't have a clue how to use it can someone please help. I want to use it on pork chops and chicken to have a nice bbq flavour. Please please help. :(
stardust56
Registered Member

Postby Kaiser Soze » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:09 am

I've never heard of the stuff, but google tells me you can just add it to seasonings and that's what it's for. From an ebay seller:

Add that real natural authentic smoke flavour to sausages, Burgers, Fish, Lamb, bacon, Sauces and marinades or any other recipe. This is a natural product that is simple to use and tastes fantastic.
Add 2g to a 500g of inexpensive Tomato ketchup and you will have a fantastic Hickory Smoke sauce or marinade at a fraction of the branded products.
Tongmaster Real Natural Hickory smoke powder is a quick and easy way to introduce rich, wood-smoke flavours to dishes. Add a pinch to meat rubs, dust over oven-roasted potatoes or sprinkle into marinades for flavours which can only usually be achieved by open fire cooking.
Please note that this is a highly concentrated powder and only tiny amounts are required to flavour food, the recommended usage is 0.05% in the finished product, i.e. 0.5 gramme
per kilo of finished sausage etc.

Does it not come with instructions? And what do you mean when you say you were wrong? Obviously it hasn't worked for you, but what was wrong about it?
Kaiser Soze
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:50 pm

If it's like the smoke powder from the shop that owns the forum, then it can be rubbed on with a dry-cure for "smoked" bacon or even used to make a smoked salmon type dish.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Cookery in general