Snack Sticks for Dog Treats

Recipes for all sausages

Snack Sticks for Dog Treats

Postby golfnut1969 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I hope you guys can help me out.

I make snack sticks every year, most often using seasoning and cure that I get from PS Seasonings. However, this year I've been saving the liver, heart and a lot of bruised or very bloody, traumatized venison meat I normally don't keep to make snack sticks from that I can use for dog treats. I have a few questions.

I plan to make these with small collagen casings.
I'll be using deer heart, liver and trimmings.

Should I add fat content? I've heard this is necessary to bind. I usually add pork shoulder/butt to my snacksticks, so I figured I could do this too.

What kind of cure do I need to use?

Is there any other ingredient that I should add besides the meat and cure? The venison liver should give plenty of flavors, so I don't think anything is needed for that.

Anyway, any ideas, advice, suggestions and info is welcom!
golfnut1969
Newly Registered

Re: Snack Sticks for Dog Treats

Postby ttx450 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:11 pm

I would not use cure in a dog treat.. When I make dog treats, I make them into patties, I add oil to it and bake in oven. Let cool and freeze.
ttx450
Registered Member

Postby golfnut1969 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Why wouldn't I use a cure? Most dog foods, almost all dry foods, contain a cure.

I'm more interested in the binders I might need to keep the snack sticks the correct consistency.
golfnut1969
Newly Registered

Postby YakForger38 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:21 am

Plus, most dog/cat treats you can buy off the shelf are already cured.
But yeah, it might be better health wise to avoid it; and not just for the dogs, for us as well!
Of course, we'll keep eating cured meat anyways because it's delicious, but it'd be better for our health not to.
YakForger38
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes