Irish "Superquinn" Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Re: Irish "Superquinn" Sausage

Postby NCPaul » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Result! Recipe?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:16 pm

I'm really chuffed that it worked out to your satisfaction. Please tell us the recipe you finally used.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby P38IRL » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:22 am

Hi all, sorry i dont seem to get emails to my inbox when a thread has been comented on or i get a PM, ill looking to that.....

So the recipe is below. a few months on i have further opinions. Im still reasonably happy with it but i think it can be improved. the texture perhaps could be worked a little more, its still feels a tad course that the emulsion i would like to achieve. Note i didnt use Phospate in my recipe (i simply couldnt get any) so i will get some for my next batch and see if further water retention will help, I also think the flavor could be "boosted" again i think this might be down to the freezer as a fresh sausage i was quite happy with the flavor. Finally the casings. when i grill them they dont get that nice a colour on the casing which in my opinion takes away from the taste, if i pan fry them they do get a good colour so maybe its just a lubrication issue and again more water drawn out of the sausage due to the freezing process,

Recipe V1.0
Pork 800g
Back Fat 80g
Water 65g
flour 20g
salt 18g
White pepper 5.5g
MSG .6g
Ascorbate .5g
Moltodextrin .3g

Any hints tips would be appreciated. Im killing 2 pigs in a bout 2 weeks and will be up to my elbows in fresh pork and stunning free range back fat
P38IRL
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:46 pm

You could try 0.5 % baking soda to help with water retention and salting the meat the night before grinding also helps.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:29 pm

Dextrose would help with browning.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am

Edit, don't bother with the baking soda if you are using phosphate salts.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby P38IRL » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:37 pm

Thanks lads, I took some pics this morning for breakfast. you can see in one of the pics that the moisture is cooking out of them.

Here is the sausage im trying to recreate you can see it gets a lot darker

For the next sausage ill definitely be using more of the water retention agents and increase the flavour. thinking of something like this.......

P38IRL
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:33 pm

Do not prick them and cook them slowly. Are you leaving them to bloom overnight?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:36 am

Like Phil mentioned, sugar/dextrose will aid in the browning, the store bought nutritional breakdown lists 2.3% sugar.
And although you mentioned purchasing phosphates I don't see it in your recipe. that would help with the water lose, although you don't have an excessive amount of water and using a bowl cutter should have made for a great bind.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby P38IRL » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:33 am

wheels wrote:Do not prick them and cook them slowly. Are you leaving them to bloom overnight?

Hi wheels, i never prick the sausages (mortal sin!)

Bloom, i read so many conflicting reports on this. one book says blooming is essential for increasing the flavor and drying (which i understand) another said Light is a no no, as it deteriorates the sausage. even suggesting no light in a fridge. I believe these were made and left in a container in the fridge for maybe 2 days before being portioned and frozen.
P38IRL
Registered Member

Postby P38IRL » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:39 am

DanMcG wrote:Like Phil mentioned, sugar/dextrose will aid in the browning, the store bought nutritional breakdown lists 2.3% sugar.
And although you mentioned purchasing phosphates I don't see it in your recipe. that would help with the water lose, although you don't have an excessive amount of water and using a bowl cutter should have made for a great bind.

Hi, No i didnt have phosphates in this mix. it didnt arrive when i ordered it. I certainly will be embracing a few of these methods for the next batch.
P38IRL
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes