Salt content of sausage seasoning by sausagemaking.org???

Recipes for all sausages

Salt content of sausage seasoning by sausagemaking.org???

Postby AKokkinos » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:38 am

Hi to all,
when trying to get started I also bought 3 sausage seasoning mixes from sausagemaking.org in order to experiment with new kind of sausages besides the Cypriot traditional ones. The mixes where: El Diablo, Wild garlic and cracked black pepper and Thuringer Bratwurst. When received, I noticed that salt is already included in the seasoning but no % was given and could not be found on the website (at least I could not). This troubles me since I am on a low sodium diet and I usually half the salt content of anything I make, then refrigerate or freeze.
Here in Cyprus, it is possible to buy ready mixtures of spices and herbs with no salt at all, and then add as much as you like. Does anyone know the salt content of the mixes by sausagemaking.org or even a close percentage?

Thank you

Andreas
AKokkinos
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 am

I can't speak directly to the mixes you have but typically in fresh sausages the percentage is somewhere about 2-3% of the weight of the meat.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Just a guess really but mixes I have used from this site and weschenfelders are 2.5% (of sausage).
I would imagine that about half would be salt giving your finished product about 1.25% salt.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes