recipe required.

Recipes for all sausages

recipe required.

Postby yotmon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi there, a friend of mine does a lot of shooting and is engaged in culling Canada geese on a regular basis in an attempt to keep the numbers down. He is looking for a recipe to utilise the breast meat into a sausage. The meat is quite dark and has a look of venison, so I was wondering if it could be used as a substitute in some of the recipes on here. For speed, he only 'breasts' the birds by cutting open the skin without plucking/gutting and removes the two breasts from the carcass, leaving everything else behind. I showed him how much meat was being left on the bird by removing the thigh meat just as easily as the breasts. I cooked these as 'confit' using the traditional method and they were quite tasty, although obviously lacked the crispy skin you would get by leaving it on. So, has anybody out there used wild goose meat in a sausage or have a recipe that could utilise this good source of protein.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:12 pm

Wild fowl is a big part of my sausage business after standard hunting season is over around Christmas. If you like the taste of the bird, you can use them just like any other meat in any other sausage. Breast is almost 100% lean, so I bump my fat addition from 10% of weight to 15% and lower the water used in dissolving the cure just a smidge. The cooking is a little touchier too- it goes from not quite done to 'Oh Hell! Get it in the water!' fairly quickly so you have to be a little more attentive then usual. I generally set my alarm for an internal of 152F and then get it into icewater immediately.

Like I tell people with questions- I can make sausage out of your shoes if you want, it's just a matter of adjusting the recipe.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for replying Oddwookie, - do you have a specific recipe using goose or should i generalise ? I thought maybe juniper berries would go well with the gamey flavour. I realise that they will require added fat and maybe some rusk/water to add moisture. The Canada goose is considered a pest species over here and as such no longer has a 'close' season and certain local authorities carry out culling once the shooting season has finished.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Denty makes a pile of sausage from geese in the Falkland Islands. You should track him down.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Len Poli has several recipes that call for goose. Remember that you can omit some of the commercial additives without impacting the sausage too much.

Here's a fresh sausage made with Canada goose breast.
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Goose%20pesto.pdf

And several cured sausages:
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Salami%20goose.pdf

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Game%20Bird%20Hunters%20Salami.pdf

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Salami%20soppresata%203.pdf

Goose can be substituted for the turkey in this one:
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Salami%20turkey.pdf
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby yotmon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Cheers Tom - I'll run these through with my friend to see which he prefers.

Ste.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:41 am

I use the exact same recipes for goose & duck as I do for deer, elk, moose, caribou, antelope, beef, oryx, watusi, ect ect ect. It's all a matter of taste. If people like the goose taste, then any recipe will do. If they're trying to cover the bird taste and don't want to give it a buttermilk soak, then we start getting spicier.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby denty632 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Yotmon, I'm a little erm delicate this morning, 40 yesterday, but am on nights tonight, I'll take my recipes in to work and post them on here.

I do sausages, pâté, jerky and use both liver and breast, nice idea on thigh meat, I'll try that next time.

Speak soon

Denty
Tha Falklands Baker Boy
denty632
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:25 am

Happy birthday ! - bit of a coincidence, I went to my nephews 40th birthday party last night but i'm probably in a bit better shape than yourself ! Don't worry, whenever you get the time just drop us a line and I'll look forward to the recipe.

ATB Ste.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:38 am

Polish Goose Sausage

This will make 30 pounds of Goose, moose or Deer

Earlier in the day make a brine

1 cup salt
3 TBS of Pepper
3 TBS Mustard Seed
1 TBS ground Coriander
3 cloves of garlic
3/4 cup rice flower
1/4 tsp Cayenne
3/4 cup of brown sugar
2 tsp fennel seed
1 TBS paprika

Dissolve in 1 liter of boiling water in order of list Mix flour with a little water before adding to prevent lumps

LET COOL before adding to ground meat

15 pounds of Goose Breasts
15 pounds of Pork Shoulder
Grind and place in a large tub

Add seasoning and mix throughly, add many ice cubes during this process

Refrigerated over night

In morning once again mix throughly adding water to meat until meat does not stick to hands when mixing Stuff into 1 1/4 in casings

Smoking:
Make sure that the casing are dry to touch before adding any smoke this make take several hours of just heat once casings are dry add smoke of your choice
I like hickory, 1-2 hours of smoke depending on your tastes

Vacuum seal, freeze and you have sausage for many months

Enjoy on the BBQ or the frying pan keep in mind these are only smoked
not cooked.

Submitted by Sloughboy

70% goose breasts.
30% pork back fat.
Grind frozen goose through 3/16" plate. Fat through 1/8" plate.
Mix in tub (keep goose frozen while grinding pork).
Mix spices with 150 ml (1/2 cup) ice water per kg.
Spices as follows per kg or 2.2 lbs
18ml salt; 65 ml corn syrup; 18 ml dextrose; 6 ml coarse ground pepper;
2 ml ground cayenne pepper; 2 ml crushed chiles; 7 ml dried parley flakes;
2.5 ml oregano; 2 ml ascorbic acid and 1 ml grated lemon zest.
Note: 5ml = 1 tea; 15 ml = 1 tblsp; 250 ml = 1 cup).
Mix well with hands.
Stuff in to 32-35 mm hog casings.
Refrigerate overnite. Wrap and freeze what you are not going to eat.

To cook, simmer in hot water for 5 minutes, then brown on bbq.
Place on a pannini bun with sauteed onions & green peppers with some good
german mustard.

Or slice up and add to spaghetti sauce.

To die for! And many geese have!
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks guys - lots to choose from - think I'm gonna need a bigger gun !

As well as the Canada geese, there is the smaller Pink-footed goose ( Anser Brachyrhynchus) that winters in this area, arriving from Iceland (the country, not the shop) in late September. They did a census in Lancs on the 18th October and counted 77,683. Quite a number are shot, but attitude towards wild goose shooting is changing in my opinion. Hopefully, gone are the days that would see someone putting out dozens of decoys on stubble and then 'bagging' thirty or so birds. As well as having an open season (1st Sept. - 31st Jan inland and 20th Feb Tidal), there were no bag limits, however wild goose meat was prohibited to be sold since an act of Parliament in 1967, so at least this offered the birds indirect protection. Not so though for the poor old Canada - he's on the top ten most wanted list - public enemy no.1 ! I'll let you know how we get on and which recipe we go for. All the best Ste.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby denty632 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi, technically off topic as there are other recipes than sausage, but my Goose selection....

My main sausage for goose is this one - http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-g ... e-sausage/

Though I have also used http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-g ... -sausages/

The honest-food.net is an awesome resource for game cooking in general, I strongly recommend a peruse!

This is also a very good goose recipe - http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Goose%20pesto.pdf

Though my Toulouse ones are by far the most popular.

I use this for Jerky - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-jerky/ though the Teriyaki Goose Jerky from backwoods bound.com is excellent;
~ 1 – 2 goose breasts, skinned and de-boned
~ 1 – 10oz bottle teriyaki sauce
~ 1/2 cup soy sauce
~ 1/4 cup sugar
~ 1/2 bottle liquid smoke
~ 1 tbsp black pepper

Combine the ingredients except the goose in a bowl. Mix well.

Slice the breasts into strips 1/4" thick

Place meat in a large zip lock bag.

Pour in the marinade and seal.

Place in the refrigerator overnight. Turn often.

Remove the meat and drain.

Place in dehydrator for 8 – 9 hours or until desired consistency.

Store in zip lock bags or jars. Enjoy.

Any beef jerky recipe will work and I just cannot make enough of it to be honest!

Please please encourage your mate to make a small nick in the abdomen and get the liver, this is by far my most popular recipe for liver pate;

Step 1: Ingredients
2 lbs of goose liver
2 sticks of butter
Few tbsp of Bushmills
2 shallots
1 tbsp fresh sage or 1 tsp dry sage
1/2 cup heavy cream
A pinch of nutmeg
3 rashers smoky bacon
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tsp Juniper berries

Step 2: Method
1. Clean the liver well from the veins and membranes. Cutting the livers into smaller size will make it easier to cook the liver.
2. Some recipes suggest that you soak the livers in milk before you use, but some recipes do not think that this step is necessary. If you choose to soak the liver in milk, soak it for at least 3 hours.( I don’t normally)
3. Chop the herbs, bacon and shallots finely.
4. Melt few tbsp of butter on a pan. Add the shallots and herbs and cook until soft. Add the bacon and add the liver. Season the liver with salt and pepper. Sautee for few minutes until the liver is thoroughly done. You need to keep flipping and stirring the liver.
5. Add few tbsp of the alcohol of your choice. You can set it aflame to burn out the alcohol. Scrape the bottom and the sides of the pan. Reduce until almost no liquid left. Season with salt and pepper and juniper.
6. Meanwhile, melt the rest of the butter in the microwave or pan. Discard the foam. Reserve few tbsp of the melted butter.
7. Process the liver mix in the food processor or blender with the cream and melted butter until smooth.
8. Oil a bowl, ramekin, or terrine. Transfer to the container. Drizzle with the reserved melted butter.
9. Refrigerate for few hours to overnight to let it set.

This is from http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-goose-liver-pate/ but has been heavily adapted by me

I make breast pate, I cannot find my recipe this morning (YIKES!!)

But the basic recipe is;

4-6 breasts
1 onion, roughly chopped
2-3 carrots
Flour (tablespoon)
1 veg stock cube
1 pint red wine (try apple juice)
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and pepper
Optional 3 garlic cloves

Prick the breasts all over with a fork, and brown the breasts, place into a large casserole dish.

Add the veg (and garlic) to the pan and gently fry until the onions are translucent, lay them around the goose.
Sprinkle the flour and the stock cube into the pan and draw up the juices, slowly add the wine/apple juice until reduced. Do not over thicken. Add sugar and season to taste. This then gets cooked at 160 for 3 hours (I have some in as we speak!)

Once cooked, allow to cool, cube and blitz meat in a food processor with;
2 tablespoons of fluid
Some onion and carrot from the original mix to juice it up
Cup of full cream
Dash of tabasco
2-3 rashers of cooked smoky bacon
I sometimes add a small amount of uncooked onion for flavour as well

This is then either transferred to an oiled loaf tin to be sliced and frozen or individually jarred for re-sale.

The casserole is equally cooked eaten as it is with rice or spuds (spuds being the traditional Falkland way)

Normally Ganders go into Sausage/Jerky while geese are reserved for pate. Sometimes old ganders are bloody hard to casserole down and they take a while to process.

I see more and more goose recipes on here, so I will add some of these to my collection!

Good luck!
Tha Falklands Baker Boy
denty632
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:47 am

Cheers Denty, plenty there to go on ! Will do re' the liver, I don't like leaving anything on the carcass, but when he can drop half a dozen birds on an evening shoot, he doesn't want to start dressing the birds properly. I think its sacrilege not plucking them, but realise he would be at it all day ! I'll pass on all the above recipes and see what suits him best.

Cheers. Ste.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby denty632 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi,

I rarely dress birds for the oven, I often shoot up to 100 in a day so indeed would be there for ever!

As your mate does, I pluck a small space on the breast, get a nick of a knife in and then strip back the skin, feathers and all. The breasts are filleted out from there.

I then pull the skin down to the anus and slice from the bottom of sternum to anus, pull aside intestines and extract the liver.

I can do a bird in a minute or so this way, though I have been doing it a while! full pluck takes about 20-30 minutes or more depending on whether they have been in the water or not and whether I can be *rsed!

I might have a go at legs et al, next time I shoot, and I have just sighted a recipe for buffalo wings for wild birds.. it has me intrigued, so might just give it a go.

good luck with it all.

Cheers

Steve
Tha Falklands Baker Boy
denty632
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi Steve, similar prep to what my friend does. as I said about the thighs, just nick the skin nearby and push down, the thigh bone should pop out of the hip, if not, a small knife tip will dislocate it. Then cut through the knee joint and pull the thigh clear. I left them on the thigh bone when I cooked them - think it was in pork fa/lard seeing as I didnt have any goose fat at the time.

What variety of goose to you shoot down there - they seem to be keeping you busy !

ATB Ste.
yotmon
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes