Russian Imperial Stout Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Russian Imperial Stout Sausage

Postby JerBear » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:52 pm

I've been working to expand my repertoir of fresh encased meats beyond the basic brat and Italian varieties and happened to run across a recipe for Bookham Boozy Sausage posted by Wheels here:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3512&start=15

I thought this would be a good starting place and wanted just to work the recipe to sub the rusk for Nonfat dry milk (NFDM). Turns out I really screwed the pooch because when I looked back at my notes I fouled things up with my ratio....however... it turned out really really good. I still have to recreate it with known errors to confirm the recipe but below is what I ended up with. In hindsight I ended up with nearly triple the amount of onion, nearly double the amount of spices and nearly double the salt. The recipe below reflects the positive screw-ups in spices and onion but I dialed the salt back down to 1.5%. All non-meat percentages based on weight of meat:

HG Sausageworks Russian Imperial Stout Sausage
2:1 ratio of pork shoulder to beef roast (beef trimmed of most fat)
10% fat back
20% Russian Imperial Stout beer
4.5% NFDM (non-fat dry milk)
2.8% fresh onion
1.5% salt
1.2% coriander, toasted and finely ground
0.3% black peppercorns, toasted and finely ground
0.3% allspice

Grind all of pork shoulder and beef through large die of grinder. Regrind 1/2 of pork/beef mixture with backfat and onion through large die again.

Mix in rest of ingredients and stuff.

This was a fairly wet mix but cooked up beautifully...

JerBear
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Tell me more about the milk powder and how it works this is almost identical to my beer sausage recipe which sed 5% soy protien.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 pm

To the best of my knowledge NFDM and soy protein concentrate are interchangeable weight for weight. The advantage to the NFDM is easier accessibility vs. the soy which I would have to order and have shipped. Also, I found that weighing it is very important as the Great Value stuff from Walmart was about high 80s in grams per cup and the commercial stuff from a restaurant supplier was between 100 and 110 grams/cup. Moving forward I've decided that when a recipe calls for 1 cup of NFDM I'll use 100 grams.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:05 am

There is also a product you may want to try under the trade name Sav-A-Lot. It starts as NFDM but is just the milk whey protein. It' is similar in weight but more flavor-neutral.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:08 am

where do you get it from?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:54 am

I buy mine from my local spice/seasoning guy, he orders it (I think, I'd have to ask him Monday) from Witt's in the Midwest. I imagine if you found a local meat processor supplier and asked about it, they'd be able to track it down for you.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:33 am

Not a lot of meat guys here in San Diego but I'll take a look around.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:45 am

many thanks Body builders use a lot of pure protien of all sorts but most of it is flavoured.
I got hold of some pea protein and that really soaked up the liquid(about 10 times) but it was expensive.
The milk stuff sounds easiest and cheapest.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes