Toad In The Hole Variations

Recipes for all sausages

Toad In The Hole Variations

Postby This Little Piggy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 pm

My quick search for Toad in the Hole recipes on the forum didn't turn anything up, but forgive me if I missed an earlier thread!

I made the River Cottage Meat recipe, which turned out quite well, but I wondered if anyone has tried variations on this traditional recipe, which just calls for flour, milk, water, and eggs (with pinches of salt and pepper). For example, has anyone substituted beer for the water? What about mixing in other ingredients. I have lots of blueberry pulp on hand, so I want to try adding some of that. I also added some cheddar, which worked well....
"Nothing exceeds like excess."

<a href="http://www.thislittlepiggy.us" target="_blank">This Little Piggy's blog</a>
This Little Piggy
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Dont see why beer wouldnt work.Beer bread rises OK though there is no yeast in Yorkshire pudding.
Yorkshire pudding was commonly eaten with jam.Maybe you could try some blueberry pulp in enough to do muffin case sized pudding.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:38 pm

There's a limit to the variations on Yorkshire pudding batter - I'm sure I've seen beer used (may have done it myself in the past).

For fillings the choice is yours: aside from normal plain vanilla sausages, one can use saucisses de Toulouse or semi-cured sausage - I imagine a chorizo fresco would be good, maybe black pudding. Lamb chops (chop toad as my Mum used to call it) are excellent. Shredded cabbage, garlic and onion make a good dish (thanks to Keith Floyd for that - pate de choux) (onion and garlic are good with any other savoury ingredient).

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Or, you can add rhubarb, raspberries etc to the batter and sprinkle sugar on it for a sweet version. Or, blackberry/raspberry vinegar is common around here.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby onewheeler » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:31 pm

Sausages one end and fruit the other? :D

Add plums and it's getting close to a clafouti.

Add fish and it's battered fish with a thick batter!

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Re: Toad In The Hole Variations

Postby Chillistarr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Sorry it's a bit late, catching up here! Full-on mixed grill is good, sausages, lamb cutlets, onion, bacon (chopped) halved tomatoes. Could maybe try a slice or two of black pudding too?
Chillistarr
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes