Beef suet

Recipes for all sausages

Beef suet

Postby PreserveIt! » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm having problems sourcing pork back fat locally but have a ready source of fresh beef suet - the question is, is it any use in general sausage recipes or substituted for pork fat in dried sausages?

TIA

:D
PreserveIt!
Registered Member

Re: Beef suet

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi,
I have made smoked csabai in an all beef version including the fat from the rumpsteak I used. Some of it I kept as fresh sausage to try. The end result was OK but not as nice as the pork back fat.
I wouldn't use it in dried sausage. May be other members have better advise hopefully,
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm

When you say 'beef suet' I take it that you are referring to the fat that surrounds the kidney and not fat from other parts of the animal. Suet has a low melting point and would probably leach out of a sausage, hardly leaving any 'solids' behind. I do know that it can be used in black-pudding if you're after a softer mix. Hope this helps.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:10 am

Yes, it makes a good black pud, although one can (just) taste the beef in the finished product. (I use Atora brand off the supermarket shelf - the full fat version, can't see the point in the low fat one. Low fat fat?)

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby PreserveIt! » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks all, guess I just have to keep searching for some pork fat!
PreserveIt!
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:53 pm

PreserveIt! wrote:Thanks all, guess I just have to keep searching for some pork fat!

Most butchers that make their own sausages would probably sell you a pound or two, but don't go paying over the odds for it. If you have a nearby Morrisons store, I've found that after trimming their pork they throw away the back fat as they don't have a use for it. As long as you buy some pork from there they will happily wrap up the fat for free (at least in the stores I've been in ). Other than that, a healthy dose of quite fat belly pork added to the mix will sort you out.

Hope this helps. Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby PreserveIt! » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:21 pm

yotmon wrote:
PreserveIt! wrote:Thanks all, guess I just have to keep searching for some pork fat!

Most butchers that make their own sausages would probably sell you a pound or two, but don't go paying over the odds for it. If you have a nearby Morrisons store, I've found that after trimming their pork they throw away the back fat as they don't have a use for it. As long as you buy some pork from there they will happily wrap up the fat for free (at least in the stores I've been in ). Other than that, a healthy dose of quite fat belly pork added to the mix will sort you out.

Hope this helps. Yotmon.

Thanks for the morrisons tip, I'll try there next
PreserveIt!
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 am

If you're using pork shoulder for your grind you're going to already be pretty close to the 20% that's found in lots of recipes. If you wanted to add some more fat or compensate with a more trimmed shoulder I second yotmon's recommendation of adding some uncured bacon to the mix.
JerBear
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes