Stornoway Black Pudding

Recipes for all sausages

Re: Stornoway Black Pudding

Postby yotmon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:30 pm

onewheeler wrote:I recall seeing bergice antispetic used in a recipe somewhere else. What is it and where can one get it? Does it add much to the flavour or is it used as a preservative?

Martin/

Just about to ask the same question - seen it listed in quite a few recipes from the late 19th/early 20th century but never knew what it was or if it still existed. I've ''googled' Bergice but nothing coming back - did find this, off topic but might be useful to some. http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ ... dpies.html

yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Although not strictly Black puddings, I've just come across these two recipes which members may find interesting.

Blood sausage (French.
Take 1 lb of Belly pork and boil it with the same quantity of pork fat until tender, then cut the fat into small dice and the lean meat into small pieces (not fine). Meanwhile have some onion, leeks and shallots steamed soft added to the above meat. The pork is not scalded. To every 10 lb of this sausage meat add 2 lb pig's blood, 5 oz salt, 1/2 oz white pepper, 1/10th oz Thyme, 1/10th oz Mace. Stir all well together and fill in narrow hog casings (loosely) so making round narrow sausages. Boil till no more blood oozes out on being pricked with a needle. On taking out of pan, wash in warm water and let them cool on a table.

Blood sausage (North Germany)
Boil fat pork till not quite cooked and cut into small squares. With every 10 lbs, boil about 2 lb (well dried) selected rinds, and a calf's or pigs lungs or instead of that a corresponding quantity of pork trimmings. When these are boiled tender, put the rinds and lungs or trimmings through a mincer. scald the pork dice, and add enough well beaten pigs blood to make the whole moderately liquid. Then get the exact weight (reckon 12 lb to the gallon). To every gallon add 6 oz salt, 1 oz white pepper, 1/4 oz cloves, 1/4 oz marjoram. Stir well together and fill into bullocks runners. Boil gently for 1 - 2 hours until no blood oozes out when pricked. When cooked, wash with warm water and lay on a table to cool and afterwards smoke for a few days in cold smoke if such a flavour is desired. ( To every 10 lbs of sausage meat reckon about 1 1/2 lb of blood).
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:22 pm

It's in this recipe:

Handy Guide for Pork Butchers by Thomas B. Finney published 1908

Yorkshire Stand Pies

To make the paste:

Take 14lbs of the finest wheaten flour, 2 and a half ozs of Baking Powder and 3ozs Fine Salt. Place in a large bowl or trough and form a well in the centre, and into this pour 5 lbs. of boiling Lard, to which must be added about 2 pints of boiling water. Knead up into a rather stiff paste. If the quantity of Lard and boiling water given prove insufficient to make the desired consistency, add a little more boiling water.

To make the pork pies:

About equal weights of lean and fat. [my grandmother only used lean meat and cut the fat off.]

Mince to the size of small peas and add half an ounce of seasoning to every pound of meat. [see below for recipe]

The lids of the pies should be well brushed over with well-beaten egg, and baked in a good sharp oven for about three-quarters of an hour for the smaller sized ones. The larger Pie is made, the slower it should be baked. Use I oz. Of Bergice [Dry antiseptic] to every 14 lbs. of Pie Meat.

Yorkshire Pie Seasoning

3lbs Ground White Pepper

3 ozs Cayenne Pepper

2 ozs Nutmeg

6 and a half Fine Salt.

But I have no idea what it is...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby PreserveIt! » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:56 pm

I just had to make some, it's years since I've had proper Stornaway pudding, I just made a one kilo trial batch

370g fresh beef suet finely chopped
200g medium oatmeal
180g finely diced onion sautéed in some of the suet ( being careful not to let it colour)
27g dried pigs blood
15 g salt
15 g medium grind black pepper

All mixed together then

192g cold water added and stirred to a thick paste

Stuffed into ox runners, pricked with a needle and poached at 75C for 2 1/2 hours

Sliced up and fried with some smoked bacon and a pork sausage, absolutely lovely - I've already received instructions to make another batch :D
PreserveIt!
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm

It was a proprietary sulphite mix to be: "used as a preservative in sausage and sausagemeat that contained raw meat, cereals and condiments". It contained 12% sulphur Dioxide according to Finney's handy guide for pork butchers.

I doubt you can still get it as that brand; supapres from the forum shop would be an alternative.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dibbs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:59 am

Could one substitute sodium or potassium metabisulphite (SO2) then? I use it in cider making. Legal limit there is 200 ppm but I don't know how effective that would be at meat pH. In cider making we always get the pH below 3.8 for the sulphite be properly effective. Maybe there are different limits for meat. After all you're not likely to consume as much meat as you might cider. OTOH I think you might taste it at any higher concentration than that.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:08 am

I've found that Australia and New Zealand have a 500 ppm limit for sulphites. I can't find the EU limit.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:09 pm

wheels wrote:...I doubt you can still get it as that brand; supapres from the forum shop would be an alternative...

You can't. It was a registered product of T. B. Finney & Co., Cornbrook Spice Mills. Finney died in 1937, and the mills closed a few years after, according to Trafford City Council. In case anyone is interested, Finney's PAB rusk, was colored pink, according to one of his great-grandaughters, who watched the stuff moving around the mill on conveyor belts.
Dibbs wrote:Could one substitute sodium or potassium metabisulphite (SO2) then?...

Supapres is classified as E223 - sodium metabisulphite.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:15 pm

They had some great product names - others include:

Mancu - Black pudding dye
Burree - 'The masterpice of black pudding seasonings'
Premarco - 'A-la-mode' beef spice
Saupolon - Polony colour
Reekie - 'The famous smoke powder'
Sno-wyte - Lard refining
Bayop - Fly preventative!
and my favourite:
Foamozone - 'The world's best baking powder'

Wonderful!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dogfish » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:08 am

I'd love to try black pudding but I don't know where to find blood. Somehow, the idea of a fried round of pudding with a runny fried egg, a toast with butter and black currant jam, and black coffee seems highly appealing.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi Dogfish, any local suppliers of dried blood that you could tap into, far easier to use than fresh and can be conveniently stored until required.

Yotmon.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:57 am

Robert's fixed me up on that end.

What's the dosage rate for K-Meta/Supapres in meats?
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 pm

The usage rate for Supapres is shown at 0.08% on the shop site.

HTH

Phil :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby RichardAllen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 pm

PreserveIt! wrote:I just had to make some, it's years since I've had proper Stornaway pudding, I just made a one kilo trial batch

370g fresh beef suet finely chopped
200g medium oatmeal
180g finely diced onion sautéed in some of the suet ( being careful not to let it colour)
27g dried pigs blood
15 g salt
15 g medium grind black pepper

All mixed together then

192g cold water added and stirred to a thick paste

Stuffed into ox runners, pricked with a needle and poached at 75C for 2 1/2 hours

Sliced up and fried with some smoked bacon and a pork sausage, absolutely lovely - I've already received instructions to make another batch :D

I made a batch of this yesterday exactly to this recipe. Gorgeous, absolutely spot on, save I would have added a bit more salt, (most of my sausage is about 2% salt, this is 1.5%). Purely my taste.

My query is the skin. I used beef runners, pricked and poached most gently for 2 1/2 hours, then cooled off in cold water. The pudding came out very firm and easy to slice. But the skin came out quite white and not transparent (as in PreserveIt's pic). As soon as a slice of pudding hits the frying pan the skin shrinks instantly popping up on top of the slice of pudding which then disintegrates, but still tastes great.

Oddly I used runner from the same batch to make 2 other types of 'liquid mix' black pudding (one the Tarporley Hunt one here) poached for 20 minutes and cooled in water. On both of these the skin came out transparent and on neither of these puddings did the skin shrink when fried.

Any ideas what I have done wrong ?

All help gratefully received
Richard
RichardAllen
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes