Stornoway Black Pudding

Recipes for all sausages

Stornoway Black Pudding

Postby vagreys » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:41 am

I read a statement about how good the Stornoway Black Pudding is, and decided to look it up. Found details in the PGI, and wondered if, as we've discussed about other sausage PGI descriptions, it approaches the real thing? It gives plenty of information to approximate the style.
Stornoway Black Pudding PGI wrote:4.2 Description: Stornoway Black Puddings are a black pudding unique to Stornoway, the capital of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. They have a rich, deep reddish-brown to deep brown colour when raw, varying according to individual local recipes.
While, according to tradition and heritage, there is some individual variation in the recipes used, the following ingredients are used in the production of Stornoway Black Pudding:
  • Beef suet
  • Oatmeal
  • Onion
  • Sheep or cow or pig’s blood
  • Water – where dried blood is used
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Skins or casings
No other seasonings are permitted and Stornoway Black Puddings must be free from artificial colours, flavours, bulking agents and preservatives.

In their original form, they are produced as ‘52mm -72mm diameter cylindrical “sausage-shaped” puddings, varying in length from 150mm - 500mm and in weight from 0.5kg to 1.36kg, encased in skin. They may, however, be produced in other sizes and shapes to suit different customer requirements, e.g. a loop, or in slices.

They are moist and firm in texture, with discernable, yet small, fat particulates. The Scottish oatmeal used in Stornoway Black Puddings is responsible for its good, rough texture. Stornoway Black Puddings may be cooked in, or out of the skin, they maintain their shape well throughout the cooking process. Once cooked, they appear almost black and break apart very easily when cut, yet do not significantly crumble. The meaty flavour is moist, rich, full, savoury, well seasoned - but not spicy - with a non-greasy, pleasant mouth and clean after taste feel.
4.5 Method of production: The following ingredients only, must be used in the manufacture of Stornoway Black Puddings:

Beef suet, oatmeal, onion, blood (with the addition of water where dried blood is used), salt, and pepper,. While, according to tradition and heritage, there is some individual variation in the recipes used, the percentages of ingredients used in a Stornoway Black Pudding must fall within the following ranges:
  • Beef suet - minimum 37% to a maximum of 50%
  • Oatmeal – minimum 16% to a maximum of 20%
  • Onion - minimum15% to a maximum of18%
  • Sheep, Cow or Pigs Blood - minimum12% to a maximum of 26%
  • Salt - minimum 0.6% to a maximum of 2%
  • Pepper - minimum 0.4% to a maximum of 2%
  • Skins either synthetic or natural Diameter - 52mm - 72 mm, Length - 150 mm - 500 mm
Many of the producers receive the beef suet in its raw form with all the unwanted connective tissue. The suet is prepared by scraping the suet from the connective tissue, cleaning it and then chopping/cutting into pieces of 15-20cm. The prepared suet is then cut into consistently sized fine pieces of approximately 1-5 millimetres using a machine called a bowl cutter. This is a highly skilled process judged by eye and expertise of the butcher.

Pig, cow or sheep blood is used in the fresh, chilled, or dried state, the blood from only one type of animal is used for each batch. Blood is purchased from a meat wholesaler who source directly from the abattoirs where the blood is collected when the animal is killed. Where dried blood is used, water is added to rehydrate the blood; this method is used when large volumes of pudding are required as it is not possible to transport such volumes of liquid blood.

The dry ingredients are mixed first, either by hand, or machine before water is added and mixed. All ingredients are very carefully weighed throughout the process, to ensure consistency of product, which is a thick porridge-like consistency, which can still be stirred but with some effort. Some of the recipes vary from to require fine chopped ingredients, others require a coarser chop, which gives rise to the slight variations in visual appearance and texture depending on the producers individual recipe.

The mixture is then transferred to a sausage filler machine which feeds the mixture into the sausage casings. The sausages are filled by manually placing the sausage skin onto the machine nozzle. Regulating the flow of meat is also carried out manually. The ends are then either hand-tied with string, or clipped by machine.
The puddings are then boiled or steamed for up to 2.5 hours at temperatures between 86°C - 70°C. Once cooked, each pudding is hung individually on a rack, to cool gradually to an ambient temperature of 12°C, this can take between 2.5 - 4 hours. They are then placed in a chiller and stored at a temperature of 2°C.

Stornoway Black Puddings have a shelf-life of approximately one month. They are sold over the counter in the producers’ own shops, in their skins, as full size puddings, three-quarter, half-size, in loops, or in slices. They are also packaged and shipped by post or courier, to individual and trade customers all over the UK.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Re: Stornoway Black Pudding

Postby BriCan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:02 am

It is funny that you should post this of all days, I had a person with a very strong accent asking if I made Scottish back cuz they don't av any fat in them like the English one duz. I proceeded to tell him that I have 5 distinct recipes from back home (UK) 4 from Britain and one from Scotland and out of all 5 the Scottish one has the most fat content and to boot it is suet --- he did not believe me -- I guess out of site out of mind :(

Thanks for the recipe -- and no I will no be doing it as the cooking time is 2.5 hours as that is 1.5 hours more than I do now :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 am

BriCan wrote:... 4 from Britain and one from Scotland...

Scotland doesn't have independence yet AFIK :)
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 am

Plenty of calories to warm the cockles on a cold winters day out on the croft then ! The shelf life of a month is long for a black pud - I seem to remember them getting a wee bit 'sticky' after a week in the fridge.

Also, I read somewhere that Lamb/sheep blood didn't make a nice pudding, as it has a certain flavour (liver) ? Anyone else heard this.
Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby sundodger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:21 am

I started making the Lancashire type with guidance from Brican a few months ago, it is fantastic! My original success with it (After my first disaster) was with a ready mix & instructions from a Scottish supplier - It was ok. but not a patch on the Lancashire IMHO. The spice mix in the Lancashire is more complex & this gives a terrific lingering taste. I have also used dried blood & fresh, must say I prefer the fresh, but for convenience & to make a batch on spec the dried is useful. Such has been the success, that next Saturday I have been encouraged to attend a local bazaar/craft fair with a load - Planning on fifteen kilos in shrink skins (Plus similar amounts of bacon & sausage) All courtesy of the good folk on here ! :D
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am

I could not agree more. I too prefer the Lancashire type; they're made to a similar recipe around here.

If it's not 'commercial in confidence' (and it's OK with Brican?) would you put the recipe here please?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sundodger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:26 pm

I would be delighted, if Brican is in agreement - Or if he wishes to do this himself? I have infact played around slightly with the spice mix to suit my own taste & also the quantities I make, which up to now have been around 7 kilos (Six casings) at a time.
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:22 am

Dibbs wrote:
BriCan wrote:... 4 from Britain and one from Scotland...

Scotland doesn't have independence yet AFIK :)

I guess you never talked to my farther-in-law :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:32 am

yotmon wrote:Plenty of calories to warm the cockles on a cold winters day out on the croft then ! The shelf life of a month is long for a black pud - I seem to remember them getting a wee bit 'sticky' after a week in the fridge.

I can leave mine hanging for at least a couple of weeks with no problems :)

Also, I read somewhere that Lamb/sheep blood didn't make a nice pudding, as it has a certain flavour (liver) ? Anyone else heard this.

Have not had chance to try lambs/sheep's blood, its usually pig or beef out this way
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:43 am

sundodger wrote: Such has been the success, that next Saturday I have been encouraged to attend a local bazaar/craft fair with a load - Planning on fifteen kilos in shrink skins (Plus similar amounts of bacon & sausage) All courtesy of the good folk on here ! :D

Hope everything went well and you sold out with orders pending :D
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:18 am

wheels wrote:I could not agree more. I too prefer the Lancashire type; they're made to a similar recipe around here.

I "think" that there is a big difference between down there and up there :lol: :lol:

If it's not 'commercial in confidence' (and it's OK with Brican?) would you put the recipe here please?

The recipe is nowt lad -- it's all down to the spice combination :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:28 am

sundodger wrote:I would be delighted, if Brican is in agreement - Or if he wishes to do this himself? I have infact played around slightly with the spice mix to suit my own taste & also the quantities I make, which up to now have been around 7 kilos (Six casings) at a time.

I will put it up, and saying that you might as well put your 'refinement' up as well as it will give them 'food' for thought -- just remember that you know you are doing things right when you are doing 100 kg a week :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 am

These are a few that I have on file

Black Puddings (As originally served at the Tarporley Hunt Club)

Ingredients:

7kg groats
3.5kg leaf or back fat
2kg fine oatmeal
1kg Rusk
1kg onions
48 litres pigs’ blood
50g Bergice (dry antiseptic)
Hog casings
Seasoning:
170g white pepper
2kg ground coriander
1.5kg ground pimento
1 kg ground caraway seed

170g of this seasoning will flavour 7kg black pudding mixture

Method:

Put the groats loosely into a bag and tie. Boil until they are well swollen and thoroughly cooked. Empty into a large tub, add seasoning, Rusk and onions and mix while still hot, and add the back fat that has been cut into 1cm cubes. This can be soften slightly to facilitating filling. Now add the blood and stiffen with the oatmeal. Fill into hog casings; allow four pieces of fat to each pudding. Tie up firmly and boil gently for 20 minuets to obtain a rich a rich black colour, add 30g of mace to every 36 liters of water when boiling.

Seasoning for others:

The North Staffordshire:

4 parts rubbed thyme to 3 of pimento, 2 of marjoram, 2 of rubbed pennyroyal and 2 of ground coriander

The Yorkshire:

6 parts ground marjoram to 5 parts of ground thyme, 2 parts of lemon thyme and 1 of ground savoury

Warwick pigs pudding: (6 – 8 portions) Warwickshire.

This local variation of Black pudding includes minced pork and rich flavouring of fresh herbs

2 pts pigs blood
2 lbs groats
1 lb breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon chopped leek, pennyroyal, sage or parsley
Pinch thyme and marjoram
2oz salt
1 teaspoon pepper
¾ lb lean minced pork
1 ½ lb diced pork fat

Follow the same method for black pudding, mixing the breadcrumbs with chopped leeks, thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper and a little blood. Mix with the boiled groats, minced raw pork, pork fat and remaining blood
Put into skins through a funnel, stirring the mixture frequently to prevent the fat from separating out. Tie the sausage skins loosely and place them into hot but not boiling water; the addition of black pudding dye will ensure an attractive dark finish. Cook for 20 minutes or until no blood comes out when the pudding is pricked with a needle

To serve, heat the pudding through in hot water for 10 – 15 minutes, or score at intervals and grill for 4 minutes each side. Alternatively, cut into rounds and grill or fry in lard. Serve with eggs for breakfast or with a mixed grill for lunch or high tea. In Derbyshire and Staffordshire, black pudding slices are served on oatcakes with fryed eggs on top.
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby sundodger » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 am

Many thanks for that Robert & please excuse the impudence of the novice in tweaking about (just a bit) with your excellent recipe :D
Fortunately, I am not in your position of having to cater to the needs of the ravenous population of British Columbia, but am in the grip of the whims of a handful of card carrying, flat capped, ferret fancying, Bury black pudding hurling, hard nosed Lancastrian ex pats, who after four goes on my part, have decided what they like :D
Here below is my own finally chosen result :- Makes six shrinkable casings
Fresh blood 3400 grms (or 600grms dried blood mixed with 3000grms hot water)
diced back fat 1200 grms
Oatmeal 1500 grms
Rusk 500 grms
Pearl Barley 250 grms (uncooked weight)
Finely chopped onion 400 grms

Spice mix:- For the above amount
Salt 130grms
Black pepper 30 grms
Ground coriander 20grms
Allspice 4grms
Mint 4grms (In lieu of Pennyroyal)
Cumin 3grms
Ground clove 1grm

Put blood in suitable mixing bowl, boil the barley until only just soft, then drain over diced back fat to blanch. Add the spice mix to blood & mix by hand well, then add back fat, barley & onion, mixing again. Lastly add the oatmeal & mix very well , making as sure as possible that fat is well distributed.
Pack mix into casings, squeeze out all the air & tie off.
I then put casings into pre heated water boiler at 80c & simmer until internal temp is 70c. I then turn off the gas & check again after about ten minutes - with an internal temp of 72-3c I then put in cold water to cool. Cooking time for me & with this amount of puddings usually takes about one hour.

Hey Robert - As a North Staffs Lad myself, I like the idea of black pudding with eggs on Oatcakes, although I personally have never come across this ! The usual Stoke on Trent thing is Cheese or bacon & cheese!
.....Anyone want a N/Staffs Oatcake recipe ? :D
sundodger
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:20 am

I recall seeing bergice antispetic used in a recipe somewhere else. What is it and where can one get it? Does it add much to the flavour or is it used as a preservative?

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes