My chorizo recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Re: My chorizo recipe

Postby Greyham » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 pm

La chinata smoked paprika is very good albeit expensive...Do try products from essential trading based in Bristol . Great Quality and great service.
Greyham
BANNED

Postby saucisson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm

thanks for the recipe. It certainly explains why I have consistently failed to get a significant chorizo bite to my chorizo, I've been using way too little paprika.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

saucisson wrote:thanks for the recipe. It certainly explains why I have consistently failed to get a significant chorizo bite to my chorizo, I've been using way too little paprika.

Greyhams certainly isn't lacking in that department. Having said that I only use about 20 odd grams per kilo in my Chorizo and never have a problem with flavour!

The key as far as I'm concerned is a) the quality, which needs to be good (and alot just don't cut it) and b) I ALWAYS leave mixed paste in its bucket over night for the paprika and the sherry (or PX dulce de postre in my case) to do its work before stuffing. I was taught that way and it never failed me so don't know the science but it guarantees a great chorizo every time :)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Greyham wrote:What has suprised me so far is no one has commented on the levels of paprika in this recipe.......

Except for cure amounts, I try to take people's recipes at face value, at least once, so I'd reserve judgement until I made it. Having visited Spain on a long research trip, and tasted a variety of chorizos with a wide range of paprika content (including some that tasted and looked more like a meat-paprika cake than sausage), the pimentón seemed plausible without having tried it.
quietwatersfarm wrote:...The key as far as I'm concerned is a) the quality, which needs to be good (and alot just don't cut it) and b) I ALWAYS leave mixed paste in its bucket over night for the paprika and the sherry (or PX dulce de postre in my case) to do its work before stuffing. I was taught that way and it never failed me so don't know the science but it guarantees a great chorizo every time :)

La Chinata and de la Vera are the two brands commonly stocked around here. I can order in bulk online from La Tienda, if I end up needing lots. The idea of using a Pedro Ximenez (vs, say, an Oloroso) is intriguing.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes