Makanek Sausage Recipe?

Recipes for all sausages

Makanek Sausage Recipe?

Postby ComradeQ » Mon May 13, 2013 12:46 am

I was visiting my brother in-laws' family today and they are Jordanians and we got to talking about if I could make their favourite sausage, the makanek sausage. I found a Len Poli recipe but it isn't right as his uses alcohol and doesn't contain cinnamon as they insist it should. His family are Christians so the alcohol isn't banned but I want it as authentic as possible and therefore it shouldn't contain alcohol or pork. So anyone with a recipe that they would recommend? These are highly seasoned sausages utilizing lamb or beef or most commonly lamb and beef and use sheep casings. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Re: Makanek Sausage Recipe?

Postby BriCan » Mon May 13, 2013 3:17 pm

I have a 4 inch binder with a collection of recipes in that I collected while traveling around the world, it will take a couple of days to check it but there might be one in it -- I did say might :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Mon May 13, 2013 5:02 pm

BriCan wrote:I have a 4 inch binder with a collection of recipes in that I collected while traveling around the world, it will take a couple of days to check it but there might be one in it -- I did say might :)

Thanks BriCan, no pressure but if you do that would be great! I'm gonna go to an arabic butcher later and see if they might give me some hints or share their recipe, long shot but I wanted to pick some up anyway so I can see the flavour profile and have something to compare to.

I should also add, I believe it is a Lebanese sausage but is popular across the middle east, and it is also known as ma'ahani sausage (according to his mum).
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Mon May 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Strange, I found several recipes online and all use wine. Maybe that is traditional? Are they allowed to use alcohol in food like sausages? Anyone know?
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 13, 2013 5:59 pm

We have another forum member who 'majors' on none pork sausage. His has vinegar, but no wine or pork. It's here:

http://nungkysman.wordpress.com/2006/09 ... b-sausage/

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon May 13, 2013 6:01 pm

In my dealings, (ship wise) there was no alcohol (but again I have been known to be wrong (see disclamer at bottom :lol: )

this book/binder is worth its weight in gold -- nah cross that out -- sausage more like it :wink:

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 13, 2013 6:18 pm

I want, I want, I want!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like you, I doubt whether the type for the Islamic community would contain wine; I'm unsure where they stand on the use of vinegar though? I think it may be OK. An online source says:

Question: Are all kinds of vinegar Halal, and which kind is Haram?

Answer: Vinegar is halal and there is nothing wrong with it. As for vinegar that it is not hundred percent pure and there is wine mixed with it, it is also considered halal because even if it is made from wine it has undergone fundamental process of transformation through certain chemical changes that is called “Istihalah” in Islamic law. So, the ruling of wine does not apply to it anymore and we are still allowed to use it.

Whether this is correct or not, I don't know. If it is, then the recipe I posted a link to should be OK.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon May 13, 2013 6:54 pm

wheels wrote:I want, I want, I want!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am told that we will be home next year :wink:

Like you, I doubt whether the type for the Islamic community would contain wine; I'm unsure where they stand on the use of vinegar though? I think it may be OK. An online source says:

When I had the shop one of my customers we used as a guinea pig and I did find out that there are two sides to everything, one side is strict beef (no pork) and tuther side is pork (no beef)

Question now arises would/could it be the same for alcohol??
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 13, 2013 6:59 pm

BriCan wrote:I am told that we will be home next year :wink:

I'll have the kettle on!

On the other subject, I'm out of my depth. Hopefully, someone who belongs to that faith can advise.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ComradeQ » Mon May 13, 2013 7:16 pm

wheels wrote:We have another forum member who 'majors' on none pork sausage. His has vinegar, but no wine or pork. It's here:

http://nungkysman.wordpress.com/2006/09 ... b-sausage/

HTH

Phil

That looks more like it. The butcher didn't share the exact recipe as he said it is a family secret but he did confirm that baharat is the main flavour spice used and that it contains vinegar and not wine. He said some places in Lebanon use wine and it is rather common there as the Christians and many Muslims there are more lenient about it but his is halal and does not contain alcohol. So, with that said, looks like I will have to try that recipe. He also confirmed that they are usually a lamb/beef mix but I could do one or the other.

Thanks again Phil and Brican, you guys are always super helpful!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Mon May 13, 2013 7:22 pm

I should also ask, which is preferable for fat, lamb or beef? I know beef fat isn't generally recommended in sausages but curious how lamb fat holds up? If I was to do that recipe would it be preferable to use lean beef and lamb and try to only use the lamb fat as the fat source?
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 13, 2013 7:29 pm

The recipe says lamb or mutton - I'd stick with that.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon May 13, 2013 7:41 pm

ComradeQ wrote:Thanks again Phil and Brican, you guys are always super helpful!

I did'nt do much except start the ball rolling, our Phil did the grunt work :lol: :lol:

by the way I will be in town around the 9th August if you want to meat for a drink?
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon May 13, 2013 7:43 pm

wheels wrote:
BriCan wrote:I am told that we will be home next year :wink:

I'll have the kettle on!l

Promises's promises's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 13, 2013 11:16 pm

I know you're joking. But not being able to meet because of my health still p*ss*s me off Big Time! I've had it happen with both you and Jim. And, it's embarrassing. I hope that a new hoist, a £500 cushion, and a £500 wheelchair back, will make a difference.

If I'm in circulation at the time, I fancy one of those Black Country meals on a shovel?

PM me: perhaps we'd better get ComradeQ's thread back on topic!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes