Time for Some Andouille Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Time for Some Andouille Sausage

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:38 pm

I can't seem to find any decent andouille sausage up here in Toronto so I decided it was time to make a batch of my own. I borrowed a little from the recipe link here: http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/a ... ge-recipe/ as well as a recipe in Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski ... an amazing book for anyone curing meats and making sausages, it has everything you possibly need, go and buy it if you are looking for a helpful resource for this hobby of ours.

Anyway, I digress ...

Here is the recipe, hope it is ok to post, credit goes entirely to the above mentioned resources, although I have included a few of my own additions. I have added measurements for our American friends but I find with sausage making it is best to weigh the ingredients as many things (kosher salt) can vary depending on brands and weighing is much more accurate.

Andouille

- Pork Butt: 2kg or 4.4lbs
- Kosher Salt: 32g or 5.5tsp
- Cure #1: 5g or 1tsp (maybe a little less)
- Sweet Paprika: 7g or 1Tbsp
- Crushed Red Pepper: 2g or 1tsp
- Cracked Black Pepper: 12g or 6tsp
- Chopped Garlic: 20g or 6 cloves
- Dried Thyme: 4g or 3tsp
- Cayenne Pepper: 4g or 2tsp
- Dextrose: 5g or 1tsp
- Ice Water: 200g or 3/4 cup
- Optional: 8g Mega Phos - This is a phosphate binder that aids in water retention. I add it as optional because some home cooks don't have access to or don't want to use additional chemicals such as this. I personally prefer the texture and juiciness that it adds but never fear, if you don't want to use it don't. The alternative is an 1/8 of a cup of dry milk powder.

Instructions:

1. Grind half the meat on medium, making sure it is semi-frozen to prevent it smearing and clogging up your grinder. The other half you should hand chop to quarter inch chunks. This is purely textural, if you prefer to grind it all go right ahead, but the extra work pays off.
2. Mix meat with all dry ingredients, adding water after the first mix. Mix until sticky and evenly distributed throughout the meat.
3. Stuff into 38-40mm hog casings. You can leave it as one big rope or link it into 6-8" links.
4. Hang at room temperature for 2 hours or, if you are doing this ahead of time before smoking, hang in the fridge and leave over night uncovered. This second method gives the cure some time to start doing its job but I have done both and both work fine.
5. Hot smoke for 2-3 hours. Alternatively, I cold smoked mine for 6 hours, then finished in an electric oven at 150f for 45 mins then 170f for half an hour until an I.T. of 155 was reached. For this batch I used pecan and a little cherry wood.
6. Cold shower or bath immediately after removing from the heat source for 5 minutes or so to cool the sausage and prevent shrinking.
7. Hang at room temperature for 2 hours to "bloom" then refrigerate until needed or semi freeze and vac pack for another date.

I have also included a few pics below. I'm making some gumbo later tonight so I will update with some sliced shots and some gumbo pron then.

The Lineup:

Mixed and Ready to Stuff:

Prior to Linking:

Ice Bath:

Blooming After the Bath:
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Re: Time for Some Andouille Sausage

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Looks great. :D Get the red beans and rice cooking.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:19 pm

NCPaul wrote:Looks great. :D Get the red beans and rice cooking.

Thanks! Tastes amazing! Doing gumbo tonight with some plain rice, next time I will do the red beans and rice besides ... I think it is banned on any other day besides a Monday? Monday beans and rice ...
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Just a quick update, gumbo done, oh so delicious! I highly recommend this recipe, perfect heat and smokiness, great bite and texture, a keeper for sure!

A good Haul:

Sliced:

Big Pot O' Gumbo:

Plated Gumbo:
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm

great looking food ComradeQ.

I threw my annual low-country boil this year and in a fit of laziness used purchased beef hotlinks instead of making my home andouille and was widely rebuked by my guests for doing so. You can't please everyone!
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:14 pm

NOLA North! Well done.
Banjoe
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes