vension recipe,,,,no salt?

Recipes for all sausages

vension recipe,,,,no salt?

Postby laserdoc » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:42 am

1 1/2 lbs. of ground venison to 1/2 pounds ground pork fat or cheap bacon. Or 1 1/3 lbs. ground venison to 2/3 pounds ground fat or bacon for those who like a little more fat in their sausage.

2# ground meat.
2 tsp. Dried Sage.
2 tsp. Salt.
1 tsp. Gr. Black Pepper.
1/4 tsp. Dried Marjoram
1 tblsp. Brown Sugar
1/8 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper flakes
1 Pinch Ground Cloves
I'm going to try this one. The pork I'm using is a salt cured pork belly that has been smoked for 10 hours. Thought I was dong bacon but it turned out so salty I could not eat it. Think I got the wrong belly at the butcher shop. Most likely salt pork. Anyway I was going to omit the 2 tsp of salt in this. The pork also has #1 cure on it.
I thought I was on the bacon route but not so much. Ended up with 10 pounds of apple smoked salt pork
Am I safe to say no salt needed or any cure also?? I'm wondering if this going to be to salty also. If so then at least it was only a two pound starter batch.
laserdoc
Registered Member

Re: vension recipe,,,,no salt?

Postby laserdoc » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Fixed it. It was way to salty before I added some more pork. Added about 1/2 pound of fresh ground pork a pinch more seasoning. A tablespoon of honey and maple syrup and no salt ,,as the salt smoked pork had enough. This one turned out better than I thought and I did not waste all that smoked salt pork I have
laserdoc
Registered Member

Re: vension recipe,,,,no salt?

Postby yotmon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Good to hear that it turned out okay - I hate waste, especially meat. I suppose you could have used the belly as a boiling joint after soaking it in clean water for a while, save using it up in sausage. Either way you managed a result.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes