chipolata recipe please?

Recipes for all sausages

chipolata recipe please?

Postby kimgary » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi can anyone provide me with a really good chipolata sausage recipe please?

kind regards
Gazza.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Re: chipolata recipe please?

Postby NCPaul » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:18 pm

I liked the one at the bottom of this page

viewtopic.php?t=1593&highlight=yuletide

I used half belly and half turkey. I also learned a trick from Tristar; when making a lot of short sausages (4-5 cm.), it is easiest to link them as they come off the horn (twist towards, twist away). Making a lot of links after they come off the stuffer will lead to a blow-out since the twists tighten up the casing too much (at least for me).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby kimgary » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Many thanks NcPaul, had used the search function but nothing appears for Chipolata, I shall give these ago, I shall link them at 4" and wrap them in dry cured streaky, shall have a practise before xmas and will def be brining my turkey again this year.

Kindest Regards
Gary.

I believe they originated in France but welcome being educated, to me they are my favourite sausage of all time but trying to find one that reaches my expectations seems to be taking an age, would like to find a pure pork version.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Think I need new glasses - when I first read this I thought it said Chipotle recipes :lol: !

This recipe is from 1949 and rationing was still going on. You can always alter the meat/rusk content to suit modern tastes. It's the seasoning that counts.

Pork Chipolata.

Lean Pork 40%
Back fat 20%
Fine white rusk 15%
Water 22.5%
Seasoning 2.5%

Stock seasoning 96 parts Salt, 16 parts Ground white Pepper, 8 parts Ground Mace, 8 parts French spice ?, 8 parts Ground Ginger, 8 parts ground Sage.

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Should have gone to spec savers? :-)

Thanks for the recipe, now i need to search "french spice mix"

Interesting because from what I know it is believed to have originated in France?

Kind regards
Gary.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Amost certainly "quatre épices". A very sausagey mix. Pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg or mace, cloves and ginger. Yes, that's five. Funny bunch the French.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:37 pm

kimgary wrote:Thanks for the recipe, now i need to search "french spice"

Interesting because from what I know it is believed to have originated in France?

Kind regards
Gary.

I'm wondering if the 'French spice' could have been Allspice. Although mostly grown in the West Indies, it was Also grown in French Madagascar and it does have the flavours of Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Cloves as suggested by One-wheeler. However, the book that gave the recipe does mention Allspice in another chapter but refers to it as Allspice, Pimiento and Jamaican pepper so I could be totally wrong. Just a thought.

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes