Hot Italian Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Hot Italian Sausage

Postby DanMcG » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Although I stop in almost everyday I haven't added much to the forum in a long time, since i've been making a few varieties recently I thought I'd share them here
So for my first contribution this sausage season is a Hot Italian Sausage. I've been trying to duplicate what my grandfather made way back when. It's simple but pretty good. I haven't nailed it yet but I'm close.
If you try it, I hope ya enjoy it.

Hot Italian Sausage;

Pork Butt 1 kg
Salt 10g
Course ground black pepper 4.1g
Fennel seed 6g
Chopped Garlic 6.2g
Crushed Italian hot pepper 5g

Cube pork and fat, set aside fat, and add spice mix to meat. Mix well.
Let set over night.
Grind fat through 5/16 plate then mix with meat cubes and grind everything again. ( I don't like large chunks of fat, that’s why I double grind it)
Mix by hand until meat gets tacky.
Stuff into 32-35 hog casings.

Notes;
*This isn't a real hot “hot sausage” but nice. So if ya like it hot add more hot pepper.
*I've been using 29-32 mm casings lately, for no particular reason but they do fit on a bun better.
*This batch was rather stiff while mixing so I added a cup of cold water to it to loosen it up. I normally don't do this, but sometime you have to. (I think it was the less then stellar quality of the pork)

here's 14 lbs of links, thanks for looking!

DanMcG
Registered Member

Re: Hot Italian Sauage

Postby NCPaul » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Great job Dan! :D I'll bring the peppers and onions. If only we had someone that could bring some rolls.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby yotmon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Dan, sounds like a decent recipe that I'd like to try - collected some Fennel seed from the garden yesterday and was wondering what to do with them ! Re' the crushed Italian hot pepper, are these from a jar or are they crushed dried ones. I have some dry peppers that I can use, but would I need to adjust the weight.
Thanks, Ste
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:57 pm

yotmon wrote: Re' the crushed Italian hot pepper, are these from a jar or are they crushed dried ones. I have some dry peppers that I can use, but would I need to adjust the weight.
Thanks, Ste

These were some imported dried ones from Italy. I guess when adding peppers the heat of the pepper is more important then the amount. these were not as hot as cayenne pepper.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Re: Hot Italian Sausage

Postby yotmon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks Dan, I'll give them a go.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes