South African Cabanossi Sausage Recipe?

Recipes for all sausages

South African Cabanossi Sausage Recipe?

Postby IronNoggin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:08 am

Hello Folks,

I am a well experienced Sausage Maker, but find myself in a bit of a quandary.

A Buddy of mine has requested some South African (his ex-home) has politely requested I create some Cabanossi Sausage (apparently his favorite) for him & his Family.

Despite literally pouring through my recipes, and an online search, I cannot seem to find anything?

Sincerely Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction!!!

Hoping!!
Nog
IronNoggin
Newly Registered

Re: South African Cabanossi Sausage Recipe?

Postby badjak » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:50 am

Not too sure if this helps, but the Cabanosi in Zambia is pretty similar in taste to elsewhere in the world, but smaller and a bit wetter (about 12 cm lomg).
Doesn't he mean "dry wors" (droewors)? Long, fairly dry sticks that are incredibly tasty?
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Postby IronNoggin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:04 pm

badjak wrote:Doesn't he mean "dry wors" (droewors)? Long, fairly dry sticks that are incredibly tasty?

The Recipes I have for Droëwors contain coriander and a few things he suggested were not in the mix he was looking for. Possibly quite similar though...

Here is what he originally asked:

"Does have have a SA Cabanossi recipe?

If so could you make me some with venison, beef and goose?

I know that the basics include beef, pork and bacon - pepper, paprika, salt and garlic is mixed with it to give its original taste.

The Family and I have a REAL yearn for this taste of home, so it would certainly be Well Appreciated
"

Any more ideas??

Hoping...
Matt
IronNoggin
Newly Registered

Postby BriCan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:52 am

A very quick search produced this .... might help

Cabanossi is made of beef, pork and bacon very moderately spiced with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic, and filled into a medium sheep casing before being smoked in two stages: smoking with hot smoke (40ºC to 50ºC) for an hour and baking for about 20 minutes at 60ºC to 90ºC until the meat reaches a temperature of 70ºC inside. The colour of the casings should be dark brown. Shower with cold water and separate into links.
If you don’t have a smoker, you can hang the meat to dry until the casing feels dry, dip the sausages for two minutes in liquid smoke, which is obtainable from Crown National, and hang in a room for five to seven days or in a biltong cabinet at maximum temperature for a minimum of 12 hours.

http://www.thebutcherweb.co.za/butcherv ... ltong.html
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby SimonSez » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Droewors is an air dried sausage mainly beef mixed with lamb fat with corainder, salt, pepper and vinegar.
SimonSez
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes