Best Hot Dog Recipe Challenge

Recipes for all sausages

Best Hot Dog Recipe Challenge

Postby ComradeQ » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:15 pm

So I just finished a 12 hour night shift and was wiped out when, to my surprise and joy (no sarcasm), my two nephews and my sister decided to visit! They are 6 and 4 and the best birth control I could ever be exposed to (I mean that in the nicest way but wow they are a handful!) I love seeing them and they never stop asking a million crazy questions. Well, we got round to "why is your fridge full of meat and sausage? Do you grind people into those sausages?" Etc ... and the question/challenge came up "can you make us the best hot dogs in the world?".

So I am here begging for some input to not let down the little monsters ... anyone have any input for the best hot dog recipe in the world? I just bought 15lbs of pork butt and 5lbs of chuck roast from my favourite butcher and I have everything except the sheep casings. I figure I can do them in the hog casings I have since my local two sources for sheep casings no longer accepts the public walkins and only caters towards people in the industry. So what do the good folks here think? Most likely a mix of pork and beef ... I also have some good fatback and should have every other ingredient necessary ... my experience with emulsified sausages is low though and despite the challenge it has been on my to do list for ages.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Re: Best Hot Dog Recipe Challenge

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:40 am

I like to use this Len Poli recipe for bologna for simple hot dogs. everyone seems to enjoy them.
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bologna.pdf

Last batch I stuffed in plastic peelable casings. simmered in hot water bath and then grilled.

I left out the liver.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:15 am

I'm a fan of Col. Big Guy's hot dogs in cellulose casings (skinless).
viewtopic.php?p=29465#29465
I go through the grinder a lot of times to minimize time in the food processor. Get some help when doing that step. Be sure to use the liquid smoke for the flavor profile it gives. Good luck! :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:51 pm

My family like my pork and beef version of Col. Big Guy's recipe:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=428

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks for the input and recipes! You folks are awesome!

wheels wrote:My family like my pork and beef version of Col. Big Guy's recipe:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=428

Phil

I like your variation since it uses pork and beef which I have on hand. A few questions:

1. I have Carnation brand dry milk powder, can I just grind it until it reaches a corn starch like powder? In my research it seems like this is the only difference between this powder and the ones made specifically for sausage.

2. I have pork butt and chuck roast. Should the pork butt be fatty enough or should I substitute some back fat in place?

3. I am out of a supplier right now for my sausage supplies (short of ordering online but I was hoping to make them this weekend) so all I have on hand are 32-34 hog casings. Do you think they will work alright in place of cellulose or sheep casings? I usually soak overnight in the fridge then flush with lukewarm water. Will that suffice?

Thanks again team!! :)
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:46 pm

1. That would work fine.
2. Add some fat back; hot dogs are not a lean sausage.
3. Hog casings will work, I would prefer them to thin sheep casings.
4. I like mustard and onions on mine. :D
5. Those look great Dan.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:52 pm

+1 for Dan's.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ComradeQ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 pm

+2 for Dan! Mine will not be so pretty and straight with the hog casings but c'est la vie!

I have done the grind, three times in a medium grind, once in a fine grind after adding seasoning mix. That meat is back in the freezer getting cold then on to the food processor step. All the freezing and waiting while the meat gets cold means this process takes a long time. I was planning to smoke them today but I think they may need to rest until I get off work in the morning. By the time I stuff them I will have to go sleep so I can work the night shift tonight. Oh well can't be helped!

Thanks again for all the help!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Well the emulsion turned out great, stuffed in hog casings and left to sit covered in the fridge until the smoke/poaching tomorrow. Turns out my food processor is not very powerful, kept overheating and shutting off on me so the whole process took way longer than planned. Off to bed now!

ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:01 am

Lookin good!
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:45 am

They'll make a really meaty Hot-Dog. Mmm...
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ComradeQ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:46 pm

Ok, nephews are not here to give me their input so that will have to wait, but wow, these are the BEST HOTDOGS EVER!! So good!! Just served with raw onions and mustard on a street dog bun ... mmmmmm ... I can not overstate how perfect these turned out!

Huge thanks to everyone for the help and input ... Wheels, that calculator worked wonders and the combination of flavours was spot on!

Now for the money shot:

And for dessert, a dram of the best Whisky in the World, Kavalan Solist (just picked it up). I'm usually a purist with single malt Scotch but the reviews were such that I had to pick up a bottle:
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:24 am

Thanks for the "mention in dispatches", but the credit goes to Big Guy.

As for the whisky? Regrettably, it's out of my price range. :cry:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby GUS » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:23 am

Q, I hope you've tried all the Jura range ? ..especially on non whisky drinkers.

Cheap, by comparison & pretty darn good everyday tipple when on special offer, very "clean"
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:31 pm

GUS wrote:Q, I hope you've tried all the Jura range ? ..especially on non whisky drinkers.

Cheap, by comparison & pretty darn good everyday tipple when on special offer, very "clean"

I have only tried the Jura Superstition and was very much impressed, price was spot on as well! I do not make a habit of dropping $220 on a bottle of whisky, generally I can get a really good scotch between the $60-80 range like the Jura. However, I just paid off my lingering student loans and I needed a reward. So is it worth the price? I will say it is extremely bold and flavourful with dried raisins and apricots smacking you off the bat and strong vanilla and licorice coming on next. The high alcohol (59.4%) makes it necessary to add more water than I normally do, first taste without water was very much overpowering. After adding enough water I was very much enjoying this whisky ... in fact I may have enjoyed 2 or 3 ...

Is it worth the money? Well I never regret buying myself a treat but I could probably get a couple of bottles of Oban or Glenrothes or my current favourite Nikka White for the price. I was happy with the whisky but as a one off only. Side note, not that I buy whisky for the case but leather bound with a gold clasp, very classy case!

Sorry sausage making section and I'm going off about whisky, lol!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes