Recipes for all sausages

Re: Fermented Snack Sticks

Postby ped » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:42 am

Great posts, very much appreciated, will be giving them a try asap
ped
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:56 am

Yes, provided you give the starter culture some dextrose to eat and convert to lactic acid. You should also be able to meet the suggested temperatures for the Bactoferm you are using. The fermentation step is the only time that you would need to check pH. I stick the pH probe directly into the meat. I use some sausage meat left in the stuffer wrapped in cling wrap for the pH check. If I only had the cacciatore mix, I would make the sticks in the usual 10-14 days then seal them in a bag and hold them an extra few weeks to give the nitrate a chance to reduce. This process is designed specifically for making salami without a fermentation and temperature / humidity controlled drying chamber. By using sheep casing, this process can be successful with an oven with a tray of water and an unmodified fridge; no special equipment needed. Snack sticks similar to these are sold near the check out in grocery stores for $ 1-2 / one ounce which sends my frugal nature into a price rage.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Global Moderator

Postby badjak » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks NCPaul,
In my case it won't be an oven but a fridge...
Or maybe an electric coolbox.

Step one is going to make sure I have something with semi controlled temperatures / humidity (or maybe just hang them outside, current temperatures are between 23 and 31 oC :D )
Quite sure I will be back with more queries after that
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes