Hot Links to start the New Year

Recipes for all sausages

Hot Links to start the New Year

Postby DanMcG » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:02 am

Well one thing I hope to do in the new year is make more sausages then I did in 2015, and hopefully share the recipes with my friends.
I believe I pinched this recipe from Len Poli's site. It's been my go to hot sausage recipe for sometime now. It has a nice heat level that sneaks up on you.

Here's the recipe

Ground everything through a medium plate, added the spices and water then reground through a fine plate. stuffed into 32-35 hog casings that were on the large side.

I ended up with about 7 lbs of links and 3 lbs of patties. I started to cold smoke them with pecan sawdust.

After 6 hours of not so cold smoke (smoker ended up around 120°f for most of the smoke) I pulled them and poached them to plump them back up a little.

After the poach I had to toss a few on the grill to taste test.

All in all the sausage came out great, and thanks for checking them out.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Re: Hot Links to start the New Year

Postby DanMcG » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:04 am

:cry: Dang, its been so long since I posted I don't remember how to resize the pics. :?
But I guess they'll work for now.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:44 am

They look great Dan. They'll warm you up on a cold day. What do you eat with them?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ComradeQ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:56 pm

That looks great! I've been looking for a good hot link recipe and that looks perfect! Only question, how much water did you use? Quantity says 0.00 beside ice water, did you weigh it or just add by eye? Also, did you bother grinding your spices first or just rely on the meat grinder to incorporate everything?

Whole pork shoulders are on sale right now at $1.29/lb Canadian so I guess it is sausage making season. Probably do four or five different kinds if I can muster the time and energy!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:51 pm

Hey Comrade, Yeah I forgot to include the water. I started with 5% of the meat weight and then added more till it felt right. As far as the spices go I just mix them with the water and let the grinder do the rest.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:43 am

DanMcG wrote:Hey Comrade, Yeah I forgot to include the water. I started with 5% of the meat weight and then added more till it felt right. As far as the spices go I just mix them with the water and let the grinder do the rest.

Awesome, will have to give it a go! Thanks Dan!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Looks great Dan!
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes