Olympia Provisions' Parsley Pecorino Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Olympia Provisions' Parsley Pecorino Sausage

Postby NCPaul » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:22 pm

I made the recipe for Parsley Pecorino Sausage from the cook book Olympia Provisions written by Elias Cairo and Meredith Erickson (ISBN 978-1-60774-701-7) and can easily recommend both the recipe and the book. For me the recipe was:

Pork shoulder 1200 g
Fat Back 400 g
Salt 21.6 g
Fresh garlic 8.4 g
Black pepper 8.4 g
Ice crushed 200 g (the book used slightly more)
Parsley fresh flat leaf 24 g
Pecorino Romano cheese 102 g

The meat, fat and salt were ground once through a course plate and then mixed with the rest. Stuffed into hog casings and made into short links. Notably the sausage has no fennel or anise.

In the book Elias Cairo shows the sausage served with polenta and tomato sauce which is a great way to enjoy this sausage (we also had buttered sugar snap peas fresh from the garden).

This was missing something to me when I thought back to the sausage maker’s treat I had after stuffing, then it came to me. When I fried the patty from the stuffer’s residue I was also frying the Pecorino cheese; I’m calling this the “Frico effect”. Look below and you can clearly see it. Though I hate to do it, I will be splitting the casings on the remaining sausages to get a good fry on the cheese. This would be a good sausage to make in bulk, no casing necessary.

Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Olympia Provisions' Parsley Pecorino Sausage

Postby wheels » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:09 pm

Great Recipe Paul.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Recipes