Chicken Bog Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Chicken Bog Sausage

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Chicken Bog Sausage
Where ever you find chicken and rice, you’ll find a version of this. Most of these will be simple affairs with a light hand with the spices to let the mild ingredients speak for themselves. I wanted to capture the essence of this dish in an encased form. Here are a couple of model recipes I looked at:
http://ansonmills.com/recipes/405?recipes_by=grain
http://achefslifeseries.com/recipes/21
To get the rice to be present, I decided to ratio the chicken at two parts to one part of rice. I also thought I could enhance the chicken taste by cooking the rice in chicken stock. For seasoning I settled on salt and white pepper with a little powdered bay leaf and fresh chopped parsley and chives.

Chicken thigh meat and fat 800 g
(This came from six leg quarters; the drumsticks, skin and bones were used to make broth)
Cooked rice 400 g
(Using 200 g, 1 cup rice cooked in 2 cups broth will give you what you need plus lunch :D )
Salt 16.6 g
White pepper 2.4 g
Powdered bay leaf 2.4 g
Chopped chives 4 g (1 T)
Chopped parsley 6 g (1 T)
Pass the chicken (nearly frozen) through a course plate along with half of the cooked rice (this was done for texture reasons). Blend in the balance of the rice along with the spices. Stuff into sheep casing. These are prone to bursting with the high level of filler so cook gently, or consider poaching then browning, or skip the casing altogether and form into patties.
Rice used
Ratio
Good bind
Stuffed and linked
Patty option
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Global Moderator

Re: Chicken Bog Sausage

Postby RodinBangkok » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 am

I've used roasted rice powder in chicken sausages before with some success you may want to give it a try.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:37 pm

That sounds like a larb sausage; does the rice maintain it's texture?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Global Moderator

Postby RodinBangkok » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm

The powder is more about flavor in a wet recipe like sausage, as it will absorb moisture and thus not be crunchy but still retain its toasted flavor. It may change the water content in your formulation as it will absorb some so if you try it experiment a bit with water content. But yes its used for texturing in salads in Asian recipes.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes