par boil sausage?

Recipes for all sausages

par boil sausage?

Postby ttx450 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Although, I am not a big fan of par boiling, sometimes I do and dont.

My question is when I par boil my HM sausage in cases I noticed I lose more flavor then commercial ones. Is this because of lack of binders, soy, milk powders, chemicals, etc? Sometimes I use them in certain sausages, lot of times no.

Curious, I par boiled some HM brats in a beer spice mix that I used for Jacksonville brats sometimes and when used it for HM brats all the flavor come out, with Jacksonville its not real noticeable.
ttx450
Registered Member

Re: par boil sausage?

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 pm

I heat at less than boiling, about 165-170 F for 15 minutes. I then cool them quickly in cold water and dry them on a rack overnight in the fridge. The lack of binders can effect the taste after boiling as can the quality of the bind in sausages made without additives. You might also compare the salt amounts of Johnsonville brats with yours as this could be part of the taste difference as well.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ttx450 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 pm

NCPaul wrote:I heat at less than boiling, about 165-170 F for 15 minutes. I then cool them quickly in cold water and dry them on a rack overnight in the fridge. The lack of binders can effect the taste after boiling as can the quality of the bind in sausages made without additives. You might also compare the salt amounts of Johnsonville brats with yours as this could be part of the taste difference as well.

Hum salt.. interesting.. just seems like a lot of flavors expel after boil, do the mentioned above binders help retain flavors?
ttx450
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:32 am

I don't think the binders help retain flavor, and depending how much you use could even mask the spice flavor.
I just looked up the ingredients for Johnsonville Brats and they have no binders listed and include 2% salt. The poaching method that Paul mentioned shouldn't cause much of a loss of flavor, if any. I do it all the time.
Share your recipe here and maybe we can tell if thats the problem.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby ttx450 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:20 pm

I will try this some time, never par boiled them like this. Maybe it has to do a lot about the salt content. Just about any HM brat I made seems to lose flavor compared to johnsonvilles. I like your idea short low and re-cool and chill overnight.. that might work! just need to plan ahead. thks

NCPaul wrote:I heat at less than boiling, about 165-170 F for 15 minutes. I then cool them quickly in cold water and dry them on a rack overnight in the fridge. The lack of binders can effect the taste after boiling as can the quality of the bind in sausages made without additives. You might also compare the salt amounts of Johnsonville brats with yours as this could be part of the taste difference as well.
ttx450
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes