East Meets West Chicken Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

East Meets West Chicken Sausage

Postby tristar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:44 am

Hi Everybody,

Here is one for the chicken lovers amongst you, sweet and spicy with a good bite and texture. Feel free to adjust the quantity of chilli to suit your own taste and to suit the strength of the chilli you have available, the chilli I used is the most commonly available here in Indonesia and is about 3-4mm in diameter and about 100mm long and is called 'cabe merah keriting' curly red chilli. The quantity in the recipe is enough to ensure that you are aware of the presence of the chilli and is sufficent to bring out the flavour of the other ingredients. I passed all my fresh ingredients through the mincer to ensure that I would have no problems with blocking of my small stuffing tube, but there is still visual evidence of the red chilli and the green leaves of the spring onions to give the sausages a little more visual appeal! For those stuffing into large casing I would suggest trying just finely chopped fresh ingredients.

Ingredients;
750 grams chicken meat
250 grams chicken skin and fat
2 cloves of garlic
2 thick sticks of spring onion (15mm) including some of the green tops
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mace
2 tbs finely sliced thin asian red chillies (adjust to taste)

Preparation;
Cube the chicken meat and cut the skin into pieces, place on a tray, well spaced and place in the freezer.
Prepare spices and fresh ingredients.
Grind mixed chicken meat and skin through medium plate.
In large bowl, mix ground meat with all other ingredients.
Add enough water to allow you to work the spices in, my chicken was a little dry and needed 4 tbsp of additional water, knead till well blended.
Stuff into sheep casings and link.
Leave overnight in the fridge for the flavours to develop, cook and enjoy!

Best Regards from a hot and humid Jakarta,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes