Supaphos alternative

Recipes for all sausages

Supaphos alternative

Postby kevster » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi all
It's been a couple of years since I've made sausages. I thought (back then) that I'd made a great discovery in Supaphos as it gave great texture moist sausages. I'm wanting to make them again as I'm on a keto diet and want to avoid rusk/bread crumbs and other similar hidden ingredients...but would really like to know of any recipes or techniques that will give me a good texture moist sausage while being carb-free and (assuming Supaphos is out) good moist texture.
Cheers for any advice
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Re: Supaphos alternative

Postby NCPaul » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:12 pm

You could try 0.5 % baking soda.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby kevster » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:24 am

Great, thanks Paul - I'll give it a go. Should I reduce the salt to compensate for the extra sodium?
Kev
kevster
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:48 am

The math is not worth the trouble. What is worth doing is pre salting the meat the night before you are going to grind it.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby kevster » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Thank you
kevster
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:30 pm

I'd just omit it. It's not necessary and other than for a member's hot-dog recipe, I've never used it.

It may be worth looking at technique to ensure good myosin development - adding the salt to the meat well in advance of making the sausage can help.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:47 pm

You could try leveraging the naturally-occurring phosphates in the meat, without additives. All meat contains phosphorus in various forms, like adenosine triphosphate. Meats will naturally absorb a certain amount of liquid without having to add something like supaphos. While it depends to some degree on the type of muscle and water content of the meat, a good rule of thumb is the redder the meat the more added liquid it will absorb. Fish and poultry absorb the least. Theoretically, pork can absorb about 30% of its weight in added liquid, beef over 40%, and venison even more. Do they need that much? No.

Depending on where you get your meat, it may already have been treated with added phosphates and injected with saline solution in order to sell you water weight at meat prices.

Absolutely fresh meat doesn't need any added liquid, having plenty of its own. Meat that has been processed for several days will have lost some liquid, and a little added back doesn't hurt. I often add about an ounce of water or broth per pound of pork to help with distribution of salt and spices.

Technique is important, too. If you add liquid, the meat will absorb it with gentle mixing. In cooking, cooking sausage too fast at too high a heat will cause the proteins to denature and squeeze out all the liquid, leaving the meat dry, no matter how much liquid was added. This is one reason sous vide meats are so completely different. Cooking gently over moderate heat, with a little patience, will yield a moist result without rusk, fillers, phosphates, or added liquid. Where I live, the sausage traditions do not typically include any rusk or cereal, and I prefer no chemical additives in what I make. I have no problems with sausage turning out too dry.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Recipes