Irish Black and White pudding

Recipes for all sausages

Irish Black and White pudding

Postby P38IRL » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:07 am

Hi guys,

after a nice walk down memory lane as a kid with the Superquinn Sausages thread it got me to thinking about the other stuff that reminds me of breakfast as a child.

This pudding is made by a small butcher but its not close to where i live now. Id love to be able to make a simular product for when i get my own pigs back, I have a couple recipes ive used with varying success but id like to try give this one a whirl if possible

So without further Adieu......

Ok so starting with white Pudding

this i definable a predominantly pork liver product (perhaps even from a decendant from a German Liver sausage). its firm enough to the touch when cold but once cooked it get a lovey hard texture on the surface but very wet and maluable texture like pate and course on the mouth too like pate. flavours are simple enough, stong liver taste (almost a metalic flavor) but salt and LOADS of white pepper which is right up my street.

from the label.....

Pork 70%, RUSK, (Wheat Flour, salt) wheat flour, Preservatives: E250, E252 Antioxidant: E301 Flavor Enhancer: E621, spices, herb extract,

Nutrition,
typical values per 100g
Energy 991kl/238kcal
fat 14.3g
of which saturates 4.8g
carbs 12.1g
sugars 1.3g
protein 15.6g
salt 1.94g

Next Black Pudding

Ok, like the white pudding this has similar charostoristics when it comes to texture. its soft enough when cold, would crumble easy enough between your fingures but firm enough to retain its shape in the natural beef casing. when cooked its like the white, gets a nice hard surface but spreads very easily. Im guesseing there is little to no liver in this or at least none that is detectable immediately. on the mouth it feels more bread crumb texture in the mix, backfat content is high and has pearled barley (But works well) main flavouring here is allspice, white pepper and salt.

from the label.....

Blood, Pork fat 12%, Wheat Flour, Barley, Salt, Spices, Herbs, Spice extracts,

Nutrition,
typical values per 100g
Energy 991kl/238kcal
fat 14.5g
of which saturates 5.0g
carbs 17.8g
sugars 1.9g
protein 7.9g
salt 2.48g
Fibre 2.3g

So their you go, its a really great pudding in my opinion and ticks the flavour and texture boxes i like in a pudding. any help would be appreciated

Thanks!
P38IRL
Registered Member

Re: Irish Black and White pudding

Postby P38IRL » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:19 pm

Hmmmm, I guess it was a bit of a long shot. Ive just ordered a load of new Charcuterie and Sausage books, Ill have a good rummage through those and see if i can start working on a recipe
P38IRL
Registered Member

Postby X86BSD » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:01 pm

Welcome to frustration my friend :)

I’ve also wanted really authentic and traditional W&B pudding recipes but I’ve yet to find any so far.
I went so far as to call a butcher in Tipperary town, where I stayed one year, when I was back in the states.
The man absolutely refused to fork over his recipe. He just wouldn’t do it. “Oh you know it’s just a little pork and some spices mainly”.

He was taking his pudding to the grave!

Which is sadly why no one will ever have the deliciousness that is white or black pudding. :(

I’ve been looking and continue to keep my eyes open though!
X86BSD
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:26 pm

P38IRL wrote:Hi guys,

Ok so starting with white Pudding

this i definable a predominantly pork liver product (perhaps even from a decendant from a German Liver sausage). its firm enough to the touch when cold but once cooked it get a lovey hard texture on the surface but very wet and maluable texture like pate and course on the mouth too like pate. flavours are simple enough, stong liver taste (almost a metalic flavor) but salt and LOADS of white pepper which is right up my street.

from the label.....

Pork 70%, RUSK, (Wheat Flour, salt) wheat flour, Preservatives: E250, E252 Antioxidant: E301 Flavor Enhancer: E621, spices, herb extract,

Nutrition,
typical values per 100g
Energy 991kl/238kcal
fat 14.3g
of which saturates 4.8g
carbs 12.1g
sugars 1.3g
protein 15.6g
salt 1.94g

The label doesn't seem to agree with your thoughts about Liver though? JohnFB and I reverse engineered another type of white pudding. The basic mix is easy - it's the spicing that's the hard bit.

John's may form a good starting point to develop yours from:

Per kg sausage:

10 grm salt (may increase this next time as I thought it could have used more salt but the missus says to leave it alone as it tastes fine to her)
5 grm white pepper
5 grm corriander
5 grm powdered ginger
3 grm mace
3 grm nutmeg
2 grm allspice
5 grm powdered sage

I hope this is of help.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator