Mock Chicken deli meat recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Mock Chicken deli meat recipe

Postby rayjay » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:40 am

I've been looking a long time now for a recipe for making mock chicken deli meat.
I guess you could say it's a big sausage and I'm hoping someone has a recipe they can share with me.
Anything I find via Google is not a true deli meat and indeed most are using products like Tofu.
I have many bologna recipes but for some reason, my taste preference has always been mock chicken when buying from the store.
rayjay
Registered Member

Re: Mock Chicken deli meat recipe

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:17 pm

There's a recipe on here for a cured turkey breast that I'm sure could be used. You'd then need to pack the chicken breast into a large casing, using gelatine powder of transglutaminase to bind them together, before cooking.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5166

Hope this helps
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:48 am

When you say mock chicken, are you saying you want to make it with something else, like pork. or is mock chicken a brand or style of deli meat?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby rayjay » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:05 pm

I am looking for a recipe that gives a specific taste to a commercial product. In Canada here, many manufacturers sell it from Olymel to many no name brands but they all taste the same.
https://www.olymel.com/en/products/deli ... meat-loaf/
rayjay
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:24 pm

For that I'd take a basic luncheon meat recipe and substitute turkey and pork for the meat - you could use a mortadella recipe or similar. Something like this without the chunks and just basic seasoning:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Jagdwurst.pdf
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby rayjay » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:01 pm

The problem I see with that is that it WILL produce a product but it would be unlikely to have the taste I'm looking for. The taste comes more from the spicing rather than the meat product as I've already experimented with various blends of turkey, chicken, beef and pork.
rayjay
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:32 pm

I can't help you there - does the ingredients label give any clues? If not, it's a case of trying to work it out by taste.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby rayjay » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:06 am

As I'm not capable of determining what spices impart what flavours, especially when there are multiple spices then I'm basically screwed.
I never thought it would be so hard to find a recipe when there are scads of recipes for bologna.
I've been eating mock chicken luncheon meat since the late 40's so it's not like it's something new.
rayjay
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:01 am

Here ya go Rayjay;
check out the book Vagreys posted in this thread. On page 367 +/- there are a few variations to mock chicken that might get ya started.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7973&p=70634&hilit=ockerman#p70634
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:37 pm

I would think you're going to need some chicken flavor from either stock or bouillon base.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby rayjay » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:35 pm

DanMcG wrote:Here ya go Rayjay;
check out the book Vagreys posted in this thread. On page 367 +/- there are a few variations to mock chicken that might get ya started.
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... man#p70634

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. It's been such a long journey trying to find something, anything, and now I think I'll be headed in the right direction.
rayjay
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Please report your results as you go on, this is a new one to me.
The format of the book is confusing at first, but makes sense after awhile.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby rayjay » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Yes it is confusing, especially for someone like me with mild cognitive impairment and two months away from being 78.
I am REALLY anxious to get trying something here but I do have to bear in mind, the previous attempts that are currently stored in my freezers that should be eaten first or at least significantly reduced in amounts.
rayjay
Registered Member

Postby rayjay » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:44 pm

Just to update where I'm at just now, I was skeptical that the spices listed in that Ockerman file would produce the taste I'm looking for, especially when one of the processes described is for skewers and molds to make the meat shaped like drumsticks on a skewer, what what called lemon chicken decades ago.
Anyway, I order for curbside pickup and included 1.3 Kg of ground pork that was on sale and made up snack pack bags of 50g of meat in each one. To those I added a lot of the spices I have on hand that seemed to be used in sausage making of various types, a total of 17, but I left out mustard and onion powder that I already know how it tastes specifically.
Now after a day or two of sitting in the fridge, I'll gently heat them up to cook hopefully without the fat coming out and then do taste tests on them all, recording my observations for future references as well as for the present.
I plan then after tasting, to select different combinations of two and repeat. That will follow by using 3 spice combinations until I either get close to the mock chicken taste I want, or find something new I may like better.
rayjay
Registered Member

Postby rayjay » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:25 pm

All that and I found nothing remotely close to the real mock chicken
rayjay
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes