Merguez sausages using harissa paste

Recipes for all sausages

Re: Merguez

Postby Moonraker » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:15 pm

Parson Snows wrote:Moonraker

I�m surprised that you didn�t ask me why the dishes that I listed (just some of thousands) wouldn�t have existed.

What consists a �Traditional� recipe? Will Scotland�s famous �Deep-fried Mars Bars� ever be elevated to that status? I for one hope not, and my family�s Scottish.

Why would I ask? Because a dish is invented does not mean it is 'traditional'. That a recipe is "A time-honored practice or set of such practices." would dictate whether or not it is a tradition.

There is nothing stopping people creating a new tradition; over time.
In Thailand there are certain people who do not eat beef/beef products or beef by-products as they worship a particular Chinese Lady statue. Should these people and others like this not be allowed to enjoy the flavours of a Merguez sausage made with pork and mutton/lamb? If you look at other sausages, say UK sausages, there are NO definitive recipes for any of them. This applies to every country and every type of sausage with each butcher believing that they have the right recipe.

I never argued that there was one definitive recipe for merguez, for example, rather that the basis of it as an authentic food comes from its fabrication within a long understood and accepted set of parameters namely ingredients, form and process. If I asked a butcher in Workington for a beef Cumberland sausage I would expect a sharp response! The personal 'tweaks' to a recipe are all part of authenticity and character however.

There are moves right now to protect the Cumberland sausage for example:
Like Whitstable oysters, and Jersey Royal potatoes, action is now being taken to protect the distinctive characteristics of the Cumberland sausage through European legislation, which would give it protected status under the Protection of Geographical Indication (PGI) directive.

"If successful this means that the sausage cannot be called traditional Cumberland sausage unless it meets certain criteria to do with its meat content, ingredients, processing and place of origin...

source: http://www.thisisthelakedistrict.co.uk/ ... ausage.php

At present I am a partner of a small sausage kitchen and I believe in preserving our heritage. For the last 12 years I have been putting together a book on the history of sausages and their effect on diets, society etc. Needless to say that it's nowhere near complete, but what ever is? Any help would be appreciated with full credit being given. I'd just really like to get it out there. I'm personally interested in old sausage recipes, preferably from published books- though individual/family recipes would also get a once over. Now you know.

It sounds a wonderful project PS :)

I sorry but I don�t agree with your wildlife comparison, we didn�t create any of the wildlife though I admit at the moment we certainly aren�t doing a very good job of managing/maintaining it.

Not a great analogy I agree but it was the part about being poor guardians I was trying to get across.

As to France�s Appellation Contr�l�e system. If my memory serves me well it was only in 2002 that they, and numerous major French wineries had their wrists slapped for mixing almost 50 % Australian �Cabernet Sauvignon� with there wine and then selling it as �French� wine.

That is the point. People care enough to take action when such malpractice occurs. I would not claim any system would be without fault but rather that than nothing at all.

Schemes such as AOC and PGI are not the whole answer but they are important legislative measures to help local producers defend their 'authentic and 'traditional' foods from such woeful imitation.

As important however is the passion and drive of people such as yourself who strive to bring forgotten or 'endangered' local and family recipes for those that now wish to choose rather than simply have to buy what a supermarket offers us.

Bonne chance with your project :wink:
Moonraker
Registered Member

Traditional recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:50 am

We have at present signed an agreement with Musk's Ltd of Newmarket (the Original Newmarket Sausage) to produce their sausages here in Thailand, though for reasons that you mentioned we cannot call them Newmarket Sausages but rather "Newmarket Style" sausages. We do however have the right to state that they are made to James Musk's original recipe with the spices being imported from the UK.

You stated that action is now being taken to protect the distinctive characteristics of the Cumberland sausage through European legislation, which would give it protected status under the Protection of Geographical Indication (PGI) directive. If successful this means that the sausage cannot be called traditional Cumberland sausage unless it meets certain criteria to do with its meat content, ingredients, processing and place of origin.

I for one cannot see these "definitive" regulations working, and hope that they don't. There are some great independent butchers' recipes out there, and it would be tragic to see them go. There are already regulations for the amount of meat etc. that must be included in sausages. Sitting comfortably in Europe are a selection of Politicans that nobody voted for in the UK - such as Neil Kinnock etc,- now deciding now we live and what we can eat, even to the extent of how bent a banana can be, how knobbly a cucumber can be and how square a strawberry can be. They also tried to get rid of the "pint" of beer and milk that is a traditional part of UK life, and attempted to get of British Brandy Butter. A tad sad.

Kind Regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes