@Parson Snows - Definitive recipes?

Recipes for all sausages

@Parson Snows - Definitive recipes?

Postby _Darkstream_ » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:12 pm

If you have the time, would it be possible for you to give what you consider to be the definitive recipe, or at least a generally recognized/agreed upon recipe by the trade for:

Cumberland Sausage
Lincolnshire Sausage
Manchester Sausage
Epping Sausage
Cambridge Sausage
Oxford Sausage
Yorkshire Sausage

I am primarilly interested in the spice mixture, but I am sure that others would be interested in the overall recipe.

Regards,

_Darkstream_
Registered Member

General recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:20 am

Darkstream

I can certainly give you recipes and spice mixtures for these (though not over a given time frame) however, it is the spice mixtures that will vary from butcher to butcher. Whatever I give you will be contested by other butchers/sausage makers. Everyone thinks that they have the RIGHT recipe. For example the NEWMARKET SAUSAGE, I believe that there are only two butchers making award winning versions of this sausage, these being Musk's Co. Ltd and Powters. As I have the license to make Musks (Newmarket Style) sausages in Thailand I know what this recipe and spice mix is (though obviously I can't give it to you). I have eaten both brands of these sausages and they are both good. They certainlty contain different spices/herbs etc. and though I personally think that Musks is better others will disagree. There are hundreds of butchers making Lincolnshire etc. if you get the idea.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby _Darkstream_ » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:59 pm

I certainly do. That is the problem I am finding. Every butcher will have his own little variation, just like every tortellini maker will make them slightly differently. But behind that there must be some generally agreed upon ingredients and some kind of common agreement as to what spices, and/or herbs, in approximate proportions go into a particular type of named sausage.

Really I am speaking generically.

Look forward to hearing from you when you have time.

Regards,

_Darkstream_
Registered Member

Definitive Recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:16 am

Darkstream check out the following site
http://www.thisisthelakedistrict.co.uk/ ... ausage.php

Personally I hope that it never gets off the ground, as I feel that the smaller independent butchers have a lot to offer. I for one don't want to see mass produced sausages to an accepted recipe. Exactly for the same reason that CAMRA exists. Though I will go along with the part that concerns geographic locations. If it's not made in Cumbria then it should not be called a Cumberland sausage but rather a"Cumberland Style" sausage.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes