Big Dave's Cheesy Jap Sausage Recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Big Dave's Cheesy Jap Sausage Recipe

Postby Parson Snows » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:02 am

Couresty of bigwheel I include (verbatim) Big Dave's Cheesy Jap Sausage Recipe. Though I haven't tried it yet people that have rave about it.

*** Original text follows

Now I have only tweaked it slightly of course:) I tend to double up on the granulated garlic totaling 2 T.per 20 lb batch and I also am addicted to MSG so add 1 T. of that also. In place of the salt and the prauge stuff I use TQ in place of salt. I also like my liquid half beer and half water. Think the beer just perks things up a bit. Aint sure whether it the alcohol of the yeast. Course Big Dave never try that cuz he is Southern Baptist and his little bride named Miss Brenda will whup his haid if she catches him with beer. Next time gonna throw a few mustard seeds down in there too. I alway use a 1 T. of cayenne instead of the 2 t. So far the only ones who have bitched cuz it too spicy is yankees. Now I always do the jap and cheese version and I use the full mid sized can of pickled japs. They sell at the .99 store for 99 cents. Super Target charges 1.09 so that is a sizeable savings. Goya brand. La Cumbre is much mo betta but it cost 3 bucks at Albertsons. . Cept for a pal a week or two back where we made it all beef and cut out the japs. He is a yankee of course. Tasted sorta skunky to me.

bigwheel

Big Dave said this:

Alrighty Uncle here ya go. We like this one a lot.

Smoked Link Sausage

Black Pepper (coarsley ground) 10 TBL
Pickling Salt 8 TBL
Dried Parsley Finely ground 2 TBL
Brown Sugar 4 TBL
Cayenne Pepper 2 tsp
Garlic Granulated 1 TBL
Salt Cure (Prague #1) 4 tsp (1 tsp per five pounds of meat)
2 pts ice water
20 lbs ground meat (9 lbs venison, 3 lbs bacon bits/trimmings, 8 lbs pork
butts)

Mix all spices in ice water until dissolved. Pour spice mixture over meat
and mix until well blended. Stuff into casings. After stuffing, let casings
hang until dry to touch.

Once casings are dry, place in smoker. Cook at 130 degrees for one hour with minimal smoke. After 1 hour apply smoke for 1.5 hours or until casings turn the desired mahogany color. After color is attained, reduce smoke, increase cooker temp to 180 degrees and smoke until sausage reaches internal temp of 152 degrees. Takes 3.5 to 5 hours.

To make a cheesy/jap sausage add one jap per pound of meat & 1.25 oz sharp chedder coursley shreeded per lb of meat.

Note: If bacon trimmings are not used it will be necessary to add more salt
to compensate. Bacon bits/trimmings can usually be found at most of the
grocery stores. And, marjoram can be used instead of the parsley but I fing the parsley gives a more subtle flavor profile as it is not as pungent as
marjoram. Use whichever one you prefer. And we prefer to double gring the meat giving it a finer texture instead of adding any additional binders.

Hope ya like it!

BigDave

*** Original text ends

hope that this is of some use to you

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member