Medisterpolse

Recipes for all sausages

Medisterpolse

Postby NCPaul » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:36 am

I have searched the forum and did not see any posting on Medisterpolse. This recipe is an American version of the Danish recipe, I believe.

5 pounds (2270 g) pork shoulder
6 ounces (170 g) back fat (optional)
1 small yellow onion (200 g)

Keeping the meat cold, grind twice.

1/4 t. (0.8 g) ground cloves
1/4 t. (0.9 g) ground allspice
1/2 t. (1.85 g) ground cardamon
1 t. (2.5 g) pepper
1 T. (22 g) Kosher salt

Add seasoning and mix well. Then add in portions while mixing

1 cup (225 g) pork stock

Stuff into hog casings.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi NCPaul,

I got the following from the net, a good while ago. Can't find the original website now, but I believe the recipes to be genuine. I thought they might be of some interest to you.

BTW, what happened to that experiment you were doing, I have not seen any results lately?

The following recipes have been obtained from the largest and best sausage factory of Copenhagen.

DANISH SMOKED SAUSAGE
Use 25 pounds each of lean beef and pork, 12 lbs. of fat cut fine, and 8
lbs. of fat cut into small dice, 2 1/2 lbs. salt, 30 grams powdered saltpeter, 70 grams powdered sugar, 85 grams ground white pepper. Remove all sinews, then chop the beef and pork together; when about half chopped, add the 12 lbs. of fat and finish by chopping all fine, adding the seasonings toward the finish; then work in thoroughly the 8 pounds of fat cut in small dice. When well mixed the whole mass should be packed tightly in a wooden trough for 24 hours so as to allow the saltpeter to
effect its color and also render the mass more firm. The meat is then placed into the sausage filler, and filled into beef casings AS TIGHTLY AS POSSIBLE. The tighter the skin is filled, the better the sausage will be for cutting when dried. When the casings are filled, they should be laid in a
pickling tub and lightly covered with coarse salt, place a board on top and let them remain till the salt has turned into pickle, then lift them out and hang in the air until ALL moisture has run off the. When dry, they should be smoked in cold smoke until they are a rich dark brown in color. The sausage is then ready for eating, and will keep for several months. Length, about 18 inches.

CERVELATPOLSE or DANISH BEEF AND PORK SAUSAGE
For this recipe, use 25 lbs. each of beef and pork, 12 1/2 pounds of pork
fat cut in small dice, 1 1/2 pounds of salt, 30 grams powdered saltpeter, 50 grams ground white pepper, 50 grams powdered sugar, 13 grams each of ground ginger and nutmeg. Remove all sinews, then chop the beef and pork together quite fine, adding the seasonings towards the finish, then add the diced fat and thoroughly mix. When mixed place in the filler and fill TIGHTLY into beef casings, tying into 18 inch lengths; hang in the air for 24 hours, then smoke in very warm smoke till the skins are brown; then boil them until the sausage is as elastic as an indiarubber ball and will bounce if dropped on the table. This is proof that the sausage is thoroughly cooked. When done, dry them and glaze the skins.

KNOCKPOLSE or HARD SMOKED DANISH SAUSAGE
For this recipe, use 21 pounds of beef, 12 pounds each of veal and pork and 5 pounds of porkfat cut into small dice, 1 1/4 pounds of salt, 30 grams powdered saltpeter, 15 grams ground nutmeg, 20 grams each of ground cinnamon and ginger, 60 grams ground white pepper, 4 garlic cloves and 4 small shallots finely grated. First chop beef and veal together half fine, then add the pork and finish chopping till fine, adding the seasonings towards the finish; then thoroughly work in the pork fat cut in small dice. Place the meat in the sausage filler and fill into hog casings, tying in 6 inch lengths, meat NOT to be filled too tightly. When filled, hang to dry for a day and smoke in warm smoke. Boil for eating hot or cold.

WIENERPOLSE or BAVARIAN SAUSAGE
For this recipe, use 25 pounds of pork, 12 pounds of veal, 12 pounds of
pork fat, 20 oz. salt, 30 grams powdered saltpeter, 30 grams ground coriander, 50 grams powdered sugar, 60 grams ground white pepper, 2 garlic cloves and 4 shallots grated fine. Use only the best meat and
CAREFULLY remove all sinews. Mince the pork and veal together first then mince the fat, then thoroughly mix all together, adding the seasonings. Place into the sausage filler and fill into sheep or lamb casings, tying into 5 inch links. Let them hang for 24 hours, then smoke in warm smoke until of a bright brown color; boil 5 to 8 minutes when they are ready for the table.

LEVERPOLSE or LIVER SAUSAGE
For this recipe, use 1 large pig's liver, 10 pounds of veal (from the neck), 10 pounds of belly of pork, 8 pounds of pork ft, 3 pounds of salt, 40 grams powdered thyme, 50 grams each of ground nutmeg and ginger, 60 grams of powdered marjoram, 140 grams of ground white pepper, 5 pounds of lean pork, 4 small onions in winter (NONE in summer, as they easily cause acidity). Remove sinews and gristle from the pork and veal, boil them and mince together. The fat to be cut into small dice, the liver to be skinned, and the thick veins removed and to be boiled in the boiling broth for 5 minutes; then chop it a little, add a little salt, and mince quite fine. Now throw the minced veal and pork, diced fat and liver into the mixer along with the five pounds of mince RAW lean pork, add the spices and a cupful of the fat and water from the broth and mix altogether thoroughly. Place the meat into the sausage filler and fill into hog casings NOT too tight, tying into 18 inch lengths. Thenboil the sausage in boiling water 20 minutes, take up, wash them and lay them on a table to cool. They are then ready for the table, cut in slices cold. Are also used fried in slices warm. This sausage can be smoked in cold smoke in winter and keeps well.

LEVERPOSTEJ, LIVERWURST, or DANISH LIVER SAUSAGE
10 pounds of pigs' flare, 3 or 4 pigs livers according to size, 4 to 5 pounds of minced lean pork, 10 eggs, 6 to 12 anchovies according to size. Add pepper, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon to season according to
taste. Fill into beef casings, boil 2 hours. These are well liked by most people.

BEEF SAUSAGE
Take 20 pounds of flank of beef freed from skin and bones, cut it up into inch pieces and mix thoroughly into it 10 oz. of salt, 4 oz. pepper, 1/2 ounce of ground nutmeg, and 2 oz. of rubbed sage, then mince through the machine; meanwhile soak 4 loaves of bread (8 pounds), squeeze it dry and amalgamate with the meat, then add DRY, three pounds of sifted cracker meal; then place the whole into the sausage filler and fill into sheep casings, link them; then separate the links, arrange in baking pan, and bake till done and brown, about 15 minutes.

BOLOGNA SAUSAGE
Use lean fresh meat, trimmings and cheek meat. Chop together very fine; while chopping add spices and seasoning, and from 25 to 30 oz. of salt to every 100 pounds of meat. To every 100 pounds of beef add 5
pounds of pure fat, either fresh or salted pork. When the beef is nearly chopped add from 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of farina and sufficient water to suit; mix thoroughly. Stuff into beef middle casings. Tie the ends together into rings 24 inches long. Smoke with hickory wood and hickory sawdust, remove when well colored, cook in boiling water. When the bologna is sufficiently cooked it will rise to the top. Pepper and coriander are the spices used for bologna.

BRUNSWICK, CERVELAT SAUSAGE
For every block of 50 pounds take 28 pounds of lean pork, 10 pounds of
lean beef freed from sinews, 12 pounds of bacon fat cut in shreds, 2 pounds of salt, 3 oz. of coarse ground white pepper, 1 oz. of powdered
saltpeter, 2 1/2 oz. of powdered sugar. First mince the beef very fine,
then add the pork and mince and mix the two together till the pork is about the size of peas; then add the pork fat which must be mixed until it shows amongst the rest in pieces the size of beans; then add the mixed spices and salt, mixing well. After a thorough mixing, place into the filler and stuff tightly into small middle beef casings. They must now be hung in a well ventilated room of 60 degrees temperature for 2 weeks until they begin to look red under the skins; then smoke them in cold dry
smoke until they take on a cherry red color; then keep in a well aired room.

CAMBRIDGE SAUSAGE
This makes a nice breakfast sausage: Take 12 pounds of lean and 6 pounds of fat pork, cut it into small pieces and rub well into it 9 ounces of prepared sausage seasoning, pass through the mincing machine, then mix into it 3 pounds of scalded rice, 2 pounds of cracker meal. Place the whole then into the filler, fill into sheep casings, link up and use.

EPPING SAUSAGE
23 pounds of lean beef, 7 pounds of pork fat, 8 pounds of bread, soaked and pressed dry, 4 oz. of white pepper, 13 oz. of salt, 1/4 of an ounce each of ground nutmeg and ginger, 1/4 of an ounce of rubbed marjoram. Mix the seasonings with the meat, mince fine, then work in the bread; place into the filler, fill into sheep casings, link them and use by frying and broiling.

FRANKFORT SAUSAGES (WEINERWURST)
9 pounds of veal, 36 pounds of lean pork and 5 pounds of fat pork. Chop
finely, adding a seasoning of 1 pound of salt, 6 oz. white pepper and one head of garlic; when ready place in the filler and fill into sheep casings, linking them at about 4 to the pound. Smoke for 48 hours, boil for 5 minutes before serving plain or with sauerkraut, etc.

LIVER SAUSAGE
To every two hog's livers add one calves liver; cut in thin slices. Scald
well with hot water until the livers look white and clean. Chop well,adding one eighth the amount of pure pork fat, boiling the fat for 1/2 hour before mixing. Mix and chop together very fine, adding 4 oz. of fat pork to every 5 pounds of the balance. Then boil for 1/2 hour, adding the following spices to each 100 pounds: 7 oz. salt, 2 oz. pepper, 1 oz. ground marjoram, 1/2 oz. each of ground sage, basil and thyme, 2 minced onions and a small head of garlic. Stuff from stuffer into narrow hog casings 13 to 18 inches long (not filling very full) tying the ends with twine. When filled and tied, they are cooked in water just below the boiling point for 30 minutes (to give the white appearance) continually stirring them. Care must be taken to prick the air pockets or they will fill with fat. After cooling, hang for 3 days in the open air, then smoke for 6 days over a slow fire.

POLISH SAUSAGE
Take 25 pounds of pork, 2/3 lean and 1/3 fat, which has been salted for a
few days with 1 pound salt and a little sugar. Grate finely 3 large cloves of garlic, salt them, stir in amongst them a quart of water. Then add the meat which has been chopped into dice size. Now add 1 1/2 oz. pepper, 1/2 oz. grated nutmeg. Mix well and put into narrow pig skins very full. When filled, tie into 15 inch lengths; hang to dry for a day; then smoke them with beech wood at a heat of 133F and let them hang till they are thoroughly cooked inside merely with the hot smoking.

PORK SAUSAGES (FIRST CLASS)
Take 15 pounds of lean and 6 pounds of fat pork, cut it up into 2 inch pieces and mix it with 14 oz. of pork sausage seasoning; chop together fine, or run through meat cutting machine with a fine plate; then thoroughly incorporate with it 3 pounds of crumb bread soaked and pressed. When mixed, further work in 1 pound of sifted cracker dust. Place the mass then into the sausage filler, and run into pig casings, linking them at 6 to the pound.

PORK SAUSAGES (GOOD ORDINARY SAUSAGE)
Take 15 pounds lean and fat pork and pork trimmings, cut it up into 2 inch pieces and mix it with 11 oz. or pork sausage seasoning; chop fine, then thoroughly incorporate with it 4 pounds of crumb bread soaked and pressed. When mixed, further work in 4 pounds of sifted cracker dust, adding cold water to it as it becomes too stiff. When of the proper sausage consistency, place into the filler, and fill into pork casings, linking them 6 to the pound.

PORK SAUSAGE SEASONING
Thoroughly mix together, then keep in tight covered tins, 9 pounds table
salt, 6 pounds pure ground white pepper, 1/2 pound each of ground mace, ground nutmeg, and rubbed sage leaves, 1 ounce each of ground cloves, ginger and rubbed basil, and 1/2 oz. of cayenne pepper.

SALAMI
Use 50 pounds of beef free from fiber, 25 pounds each of lean and fat pork, chop very fine and add 18 1/2 oz. of salt, 4 1/2 oz. ground white pepper, 1 1/2 oz. ground saltpeter, with 8 glasses of Rhine wine, in which previously has been soaked one pound of garlic. Stuff into calf's
bladders. Let them hang in the open air for 2 or 3 weeks, then smoke for 12 days.

SMOKED SAUSAGE or KNACKWURST
Take 60 pounds of lean pork, 14 pounds of lean beef, and 26 pounds of fat pork. Chop very fine, then add 1 pound of salt, 5 1/2 oz. ground pepper, 1 1/2 oz. ground saltpeter, 2 1/2 oz. whole caraway seeds, a small quantity of grated garlic. Stuff in beef rounds or hog casings. Hang in the air for 8 days, then smoke for 6 days, they may then be preserved in a cool dry place
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:07 pm

Oddley
Thanks for the recipes. I am pondering how to best present the data in a clear and concise way. The raw data is not necessarily "user friendly." :D
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Chuckwagon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:30 am

Hi Paul,
Your recipe looks delicious. It is straightforward and uncomplicated too. I can hardly wait to try it. Thanks for posting it. Hey... it's going to be Christmas in the Carolinas before you know it! I'm depending upon you to report back on the Tom & Jerry recipe after you take it for a test drive! Best wishes and happy holidays. Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:08 pm

Chuckwagon,
I just finished poaching and vacuum packing for the freezer a batch for Christmas morning. We'll fry them up in butter to finish and have them with ableskivers. These are round doughnuts filled with applesauce (homemade) then rolled in cinnamon sugar. They are cooked in a CAST IRON PAN so they should be prefect for you. Is it OK to make the Tom & Jerry with pasturized eggs? Happy holidays, NCPaul
NCPaul
Site Admin

Medister

Postby rich0148 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:38 pm

I am English and live in Denmark.

Try it, but I find them very finely chopped and with little in them, very tightly packed so it is almost pure meat. I prefer more rough chop/grind with handfulls of herbs, but that is my preference!

Rich
rich0148
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi NCPaul,

NCPaul wrote:Is it OK to make the Tom & Jerry with pasturized eggs?

Good question, are a lot of the chickens in the states infected with salmonella?

I know it was an Englishman that made up the Tom and Jerry recipe, as it is a crème anglaise/egg custard. You can heat an egg custard to thicken it, but the temp must stay below 50° C to stop the egg flavour developing in it.

I'm going to give the recipe a go on Christmas eve, as I will have a lot of visitors. I will use organic eggs, in the hope that the flock they came from were well cared for, with no salmonella.

I will be making a lot of custard Christmas, as I always make two trifles. One for Christmas day, and one for boxing day. These contain fresh custard and loads of thickened sweetened double cream with fresh fruit strawberry jelly and trifle cakes. A heart attack special... :D
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:26 pm

rich0148
I think the homemade sausage will easily be a step up. I do understand the texture issue; I've made sausages of many types and like them all. :D

Oddley
I will have my young neice visiting so perhaps I'm just an overprotective uncle. :D I think I will do as you suggest and use good quality eggs. Salmonella from eggs is rare to my knowledge. E. coli in organic spinach, peanut butter and factory ground beef does give me reason to be aware. I prefer making my own, as I believe most on this forum do. If I get sick from something I made, I'll know who to blame. :D The trifle sounds great, I have one of the bowls so I'll try to get one made for the holidays.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Medisterpolse

Postby NCPaul » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 pm

I wanted to update my recipe from what I had posted. I have doubled the salt to 44 g, I now add 25 g of NFDM, and I boil the pork stock until it is reduced to 1/2 cup. I also scatter the spices and salt over the cubed meat and just grind once before adding the gelled stock and NFDM. :D
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Recipes