Kefta / Keftedakia

Recipes for all sausages

Kefta / Keftedakia

Postby vagreys » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:34 pm

This sausage goes by several names and related forms around the eastern Mediterranean basin. Here is my take on a Greek version of this lamb, goat or venison sausage. I haven't converted this one to weights, yet, sorry.

5 pounds lamb (80% lean)
2 medium Spanish onions, grated, juice reserved
4 teaspoons Morton's kosher salt
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cassia (cinnamon)
1 1/4 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons whole fennel or anise seed
3 tablespoons Italian flat parsley, finely chopped (1 tablespoon dried)
3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped (1 tablespoon dried)
5 tablespoons grated Manchego, Parmesan, or Kefalotiri cheese
1/2 cup red wine (Naoussa or Temperanillo)

(alternate seasoning: substitute nutmeg for the cinnamon, and cumin for the allspice)

Cut the lamb into 1" cubes. Place the grated onion in cheesecloth, and squeeze out onion juice into a bowl. Place the grated onion in a container and refrigerate. Marinate the lamb in the onion juice for at least 8 hours or overnight. After marinating, par-freeze the lamb and run through the primary grind (I use 1/2" plate). Dissolve the salt in the red wine. Combine grated onion and all remaining ingredients with the lamb, mixing thoroughly. Run through the final grind (3/8" for me). Form the sausage into 2- or 3-ounce fingers. Dust the sausages with flour, or beat an egg and dip the sausage in egg before dusting with flour. Fry the floured sausages in olive oil. Serve in pita with tzatziki.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Recipes