Dutch Rookworst Recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Re: Dutch Rookworst Recipe

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:30 am

Back again.
The company's web site in Canada is: www.malabarsuperspice.com. They list Dutch Rookwurst Spice.
usage is 6 gram per kilo of meat.
Somehow, the only guy that can purchase from them would be BRICAN. Correct Robert?
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:06 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Phil,
Which recipe did you actually wanted translated. Let me know and it will be done.
For members living in Canada, I noticed that a major supplier to the Butchering Trade
listed a complete Rookworst Spice for sale in 1 kg bags. I forgot their name but I will post it on the forum when I find out.
Cheers,
Jan.

It's the one posted by Badjak.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:12 pm

OK, Give me a couple of days.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby badjak » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:05 am

I would offer to translate as it is just a bit rude to post a link in another language, but am just a bit too busy at the moment.
Jan, if you need any help, please gimme a shout!
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:09 pm

No pressure. :D :D I'm in no rush, I just thought it would be good to see.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:31 am

Phil and Anne Marie,
I am just back from a week-end trip and after reading through the previous posts I noticed that the translation was done many years ago by culinairezaken, Saturday March 13 ,2010. Exactly the same recipe, quantities and procedure.
The only difference I can see is that I would translate the "Jawbone" to "Pork Jowl" or 100% pork shoulder.
Most older recipes list shoulder meat as it is cheaper than beef and much superior as far as I am concerned.
A lot of Dutch butcher shops now also use a pork-skin powder made in Denmark as a binder.
All natural with superior binding qualities.
The casings when filled need to be treated a special way to the well known and loved "snap" sensation when biting in a piece of Rookworst.
I have the correct procedure somewhere but can't find it at the moment, Anybody interested? Just message/email me.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Thanks Jan.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby hnblarms » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:04 am

Please let me know also, that would be so helpful.

Thanks
James
hnblarms
Registered Member

Postby hnblarms » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:00 am

Does anyone have a recipe that I could experiment with? Any and all information would be super.

Thanks
James
hnblarms
Registered Member

Postby hnblarms » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:28 am

How many pounds of meat is that spice recipe for?

Thanks
James
hnblarms
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:07 am

hnblarms wrote:Does anyone have a recipe that I could experiment with? Any and all information would be super.

Thanks
James

Other than the recipes on the first page of this thread, apparently not.

Is there some reason why the 1940 recipe from the Dutch butcher's manual, translated into English and provided by DanMcG on the first page of this thread, is not acceptable for trying? Or the Dutch recipe translated into English and provided by Culinairezaken, also on the first page of this thread? If you have questions, just ask and I'm sure someone here would be happy to help you out.

As Jan notes, 5 posts above, in response to the Dutch recipe provided in response to your original request (the recipe you can't read and were going to have family translate), is the same one already fully-translated and provided by Culinairezaken on the first page of the thread. As Jan points out, "kinnebak' should probably translate as pork jowl, not jawbone, but if you can't get pork jowl, fatty shoulder meat certainly works. Also, note that the reference to "Colorazo" is a reference to an all-purpose curing salt that contains 99.4% salt and 0.6% sodium nitrite. This is not the same as Cure #1. Please be careful with the cure.

Since no new recipes have come forward (save a repeat of one of the recipes already posted in this thread), and you seem eager to give it a go, if your purpose is to make the sausage, then I'd suggest you try one of the two recipes already provided. If your purpose is to solicit more recipes for rookworst, then I wish you luck as no others have been added in almost four years.

As happens, there is a German recipe for Rookworst in a German butcher's manual dating from around 1912 that I will transcribe, shortly.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:02 am

From the 4th edition of Die Fabrikation feiner Fleisch- und Wurstwaren by Master Butcher Hermann Koch (c. 1910-1915):
5. Rookwoorst

Zu 50 Kg. dieser Wurst nimmt man 12-1/2 Kg. gut ausgesehntes Rindfleisch, wiegt es fein, gibt dann 25 Kg. Schweinefleisch und 12-1/2 Kg. festen Rückenspeck hinzu, wiegt alles unter beständigem Umschlagen durch und fügt auf obiges Quantum folgende Gewürze bei: 1-3/4 Kg. Salz, 15 Gr. Salpeter, 75 Gr. Rohrzucker, 150 Gr. weißen Pfeffer und 50 Gr. gemahlenen Koriander.

Hierauf wiegt man das Fleisch so lange, bis die Speck- und Schweinefleischstücke Erbsengröße erlangt haben.

Man füllt die Masse recht fest in nicht zu weite Rindsmitteldärme, hängt die Würste zum Trocknen 12-14 Tage auf und räuchert sie hiernach langsam braun.

A fast, easy internet translation will not yield an entirely satisfactory result. I'm hoping someone, here, will be interested enough to provide a more accurate translation.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi Tom,
This recipe is not for Dutch style Rookworst but it is for a German dried smoked sausage.
This German smoked sausage is dried for 14 days and smoked there after to a nice brown colour.
No doubt a great tasting sausage.
Dutch Rookworst is stuffed in 32-34 pig casings, very specific drying instructions to obtain a proper and much loved "snap" when biting into it and re-heated in water a bit below boiling point before eating it.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Dutch Rookworst Recipe

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Tom,
Back again. I have decided to make this recipe in the near future.
It's quite simple and easy to scale down.
Total is for 50 kg of Meat of which is 12.5 kg beef without tendons, silver skin etc, 25 kg of pork meat( no mention of shoulder, hind leg) and 12.5 kg festen ruckenspeck( I understand that this is cured smoked fatty speck (bacon)
It has 75 gram raw sugar, saltpetre, 150 grams white pepper and 50 grams Coriander powder.
Stuffed in beef middles and hung to dry for 12-14 days before smoking them slowly to a nice brown colour.
No mention of smoking temperatures and how fine the mince is.
Obviously manufacturers in the EU can no longer manufacture this style sausage as smoking as we know it will be banned shortly.
No doubt, Brussels will tell everyone shortly how to wipe their noses and polish their shoes as well.
Thanks for posting that recipe.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:27 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Obviously manufacturers in the EU can no longer manufacture this style sausage as smoking as we know it will be banned shortly.

Please excuse my ignorance but are you saying there will be no more smoked sausage out of the UE?
DanMcG
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes