Finding Butcher's Rusk & Honey Bee Seasoning ??

Recipes for all sausages

Finding Butcher's Rusk & Honey Bee Seasoning ??

Postby tmoran2008 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Hey there,

I'm new to this website, so please be gentle with me !!
Ok, so today I got a really great Recipe for Irish Pork Sausages from my local Butcher !! He makes 3 different kinds & the Receipe that he gave me today is for the sausages that I Love !!
So here's the Receipe:

15 IBs Pork
2 IBs of Water
400g of Butcher's Rusk
200g of Honey Bee Seasoning

He said it would make about 20/30IBs of poirk Sausages

One Big problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA OF WHERE TO GET THE BUTCHER'S RUSK OR THE HONEY BEE SEASONING for THE SUASAGES !! I live in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada and the only place that I can think that might actually have the Butcher's Rusk & the Honey Bee Seasoning is "The Bulk Barn" !! We live about 3 hours N.W from Toronto !! But I would be willing to drive to Toronto or anywhere to get these 2 ingredients !!
Another problem is that I myself won't be making the suasages, coz I know NOTHING ABOUT MAKING THEM, but my Brilliant boyfriend is a Total Wizz at it & has an age old receipe from his Romanian Grandfather that he uses to make his own Home-made Suasages, that I HATE !!
I'm Irish & he's Canadian / Romanian !! Its an interesting mix, if I do say so myself !!

So ANY IDEAS OF WHERE I MIGHT GET BOTH OF THESE 2 VITAL INGREDIENTS, WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !! Even if I had to buy them online & have them delivered, that would be Ok !!

Thanks in advance.

Tmoran2008 !!
tmoran2008
Newly Registered

Postby Oddley » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Welcome to the forum...:D

Honey Bee Seasoning can be bought Here.

Rusk can be bought from this shop site. It would be a little expensive to ship to Canada. If this is so, you can make your own. The recipe is here.

Would you like to give us the rest of the recipes, including your boyfriends. New recipes to try, are always welcome.

I have converted your butchers recipe, now with the method, for 1 Kg of sausage.

1 Kg Honey Bee Irish Sausage Recipe.

Ingredients:
100%
81.8674 % - 819 g Pork Shoulder 80%vl
10.9133 % 109 g of Water
4.8129 % - 48 g of Butcher's Rusk
2.4064 % - 24 g of Honey Bee Seasoning

Method:
Keep all meats cold. Mince pork once through a 8 mm plate then mince again once through the 8mm plate. Mix Pork, water and all spices for about 2 min's in a mixer, or by hand about 5 min's, or until texture changes to slightly sticky, kneading like bread. Then add the rusk and mix until well distributed. Stuff hogs casings. Leave in the bottom of fridge overnight to bloom. Eat within 3 days or freeze.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby tmoran2008 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Hey there,

Thanks a million for the info. regarding where I would get the Butcher's Rusk & also how I might make it myself !! Its always good to do things yourself !! so while my boyfriend is making the suasages, i can make the Rusk !! Thanks a well for the info. on where i might buy the Honey Bee Seasoning !! all information will certainly be put to good use !! Thanks again !!

Tmoran2008

P.S I don't think that my boyfriend will give his Gandfather's age old receipe to ANYONE coz its been passed down from generation to generation & its only the boys in the family that inheriate it !! A bit sexist I think !!
tmoran2008
Newly Registered

Postby Oddley » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi tmoran2008,

Your boyfriend's sausage recipe is probably the same as a hundred I've seen already. We all think our recipe's are original, but there is only so many combinations to the spices of a certain sausage. Please don't tell your boyfriend this, please let him stay with his illusion of originality.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Re: Finding Butcher's Rusk & Honey Bee Seasoning ??

Postby FredBT » Wed May 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Oddley. I'm going to have a bash at making Irish sausage using your recipe as soon as I get the seasoning, but isn't the water content rather high? That said, my Irish friend says they should have a more pasty texture compared to the English versions. I don't think Ive ever tasted a decent Irish sausage but I think these should be good.
FredBT
Newly Registered

Return to Sausage Recipes