I have dropped into a dimension with a different language

Recipes for all sausages

Postby cmocallaghan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi, it is me again asking probably very basic questions but I am a beginner and determined to crack this and make great yummy sausages. :D

I feel I have dropped into another dimension with a different language. :?

Wheels AKA Phil the Moderator suggests that I try the Pork & Apple recipe by Welsh Wizard

1kg Pork
c40g dried apple
10g salt
2g pepper
7% rusk
7% apple juice simmered down to concentrate the flavour and cooled
Herbs from the garden (depending on what’s about)

And he suggests any recipe posted by Oddley and I like the look of: Gloucester Pork Sausage

Pork 80% vl
Of meat
10 % Breadcrumbs
10 % Iced Water
1.88 % Spice Mix

Spice Mix
79.7826 % Salt
5.5449 % Black Pepper
4.4359 % Nutmeg
5.5449 % Sage
3.412 % Thyme
1.2797 % Marjoram

Usage weight 18.8 g/Kg or 1.88 %

Only I have not got a clue how to turn the % into a recipe I can understand and I want to try making a few pounds not 18.8kg.

What do I do? :?:
Caroline
cmocallaghan
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:03 pm

I think there have been a couple of different ways in which the %'s have been written.

If you look at the Pork & Apple one, the 7% refers to the weight of rusk compared to the weight of meat. 1kg of meat is called for. 7% of 1000g (1kg) is 70g, add 70g of rusk, you would also use 70g of Apple juice, I would not weigh the juice, its close enough to 70ml as not to worry about it I would think.

I would need to check the Gloucester Pork recipe, as this looks to me to be written in a different way, but if that is the case then the total is 101.88%, which you clearly can't have. But if you look at the spice mix and the %'s there. If it was be I would make maybe 100g of seasoning, so the 100% weight is 100g, you would therefore use 79.8g of salt, 5.5g black pepper, 4.4g nutmeg etc. Just multiply the 100% weight by the %'age.

Wheels - does the 80% refer to the weight of pork, so in 1kg of sausage you would have 800g of pork, or is there something else meant, only this contradicts the above method of weights, or is that ust oddleys way.

I hope this helps in some way......
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:51 pm

No, the 80% is 80% visible lean (VL) - that's pork with 80% lean and 20% fat when you look at it.

For the pork and apple 7% is 70g per kg of meat.

As to the recipe of Oddley's, the % figures are percentages of the meat weight. So for 1kg pork (1000g) you would add 100g breadcrumbs, 100g water and 18.8g of the spice mix.

When making up the spice mix just treat the % figures as if they are grammes, so:

79.8g Salt
5.5g Black Pepper
4.4g Nutmeg
5.5g Sage
3.4g Thyme
1.3g Marjoram

You can of course halve or double these figures etc. As long as you do the same thing to all of them.

Regrettably, I'd forgotten when I recommended these recipes that you need accurate scales (available on ebay for about a tenner). :oops:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby cmocallaghan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Thank you one and all.

Oddly enough as I do lots of other cooking I have good scales so I can give them both a go.

Cheers 8)
Caroline
cmocallaghan
Registered Member

For any other beginners wanting an understandable recipe

Postby cmocallaghan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:23 pm

For any other beginners wanting an understandable recipe here is the translated Gloucester Pork Sausage recipe

This is no credit to me but Wheels and others who helped me

Gloucester Pork Sausage recipe

1kg of pork of which 20% is visible fat
100g of breadcrumbs (3 day old bread crumbed in a food processor) or rusk
100g of Iced Water
18.8g of the spice mix

Spice Mix
79.8g Salt
5.5g Black Pepper
4.4g Nutmeg
5.5g Sage
3.4g Thyme
1.3g Marjoram

You can of course halve or double these figures etc. As long as you do the same thing to all of them.

Method

Keep all meats cold.

Mince pork once through a 8 mm plate then mince again once through a 4.5mm plate.

Mix Pork, water and all spices for about 2 min's in a mixer, or by hand about 5 min's, or until texture changes to slightly sticky, kneeding like bread.

Then add the breadcrumbs and mix until well distributed.

Stuff hogs casings. Leave in the bottom of fridge overnight to bloom.

Eat within 3 days or freeze.
Caroline
cmocallaghan
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:27 pm

A lot of the recipes are confusing at first glance. Some are metric, some have teaspoons / tablespoons / pounds, some are expressed as per kilo and others are in percentages. This forum has members from all over the world and they range in size from those making a kilo of sausage to professional butchers making 200 Kg batches. Most of us are used to converting recipes to our own scale; don't hesitate to ask. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:31 pm

A couple of tips - ensure that you keep everything very cold and, when you mix the ingredients, really mix them well until the consistency changes to a sticky mess; maybe 2 or 3 minutes by hand. The mixing develops the myosin in the meat which is what turns pork mince into sausagemeat. Without this, the sausage will be dry and crumbly.

Let us know how you get on.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: I have dropped into a dimension with a different languag

Postby ttx450 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 pm

First time making Gloucester sausage and used the following recipe, it was in %.

Need a little help clarifying the recipe. I made a small batch last night to try, but I did not see this post until today. Is this baker percentages sorta? meat was 80%, bread 10%, h20 10% and spices 1.88%. I added meat which I cal 80%, then 10%, & 10% 100%, then he has 1.88% spices added on top. So the baker thing does not work real well, I weight meat, removed from scale, bread 10% (baker%) removed and h2o removed. I pre-calculated the below spices that I needed around 20grams, so I made 24grams up and added close to 20grams. My scale had a hard time doing baker % of a few grams. I did the same for spices, I noted it totaled up to 100%.

the sausage has a noticeable thyme flavor. I suspect Gloucester has a noticeable thyme flavor? Reminds me of southern sausages, not as strong as but like andouille?

I only made a few pounds, thought maybe I screwed it up, but is not to bad. Can always eat it with Jambalaya. Thanks for help.

Gloucester Pork Sausage recipe

1kg of pork of which 20% is visible fat
100g of breadcrumbs (3 day old bread crumbed in a food processor) or rusk
100g of Iced Water
18.8g of the spice mix

Spice Mix
79.8g Salt
5.5g Black Pepper
4.4g Nutmeg
5.5g Sage
3.4g Thyme
1.3g Marjoram
ttx450
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:26 pm

It's funny, this recipe has been very popular, but revisiting it I'm not as keen as I was. I checked with a friend as to whether he uses fresh thyme, but he uses dried and sells loads of it. I wonder if the thyme I had was particularly strong, but I feel the same as you do about it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Snags » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:24 am

Theres thyme and theres thyme
I grow lemon thyme and Turkish thyme they have very different flavours lemon thyme is way stronger tasting
I use lemon for traditional chicken dishes and Turkish thyme for grilled lamb chicken pork more traditional Mediterranean dishes,that would be more of the one you would use in a sausage.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Yes, I think I need to have a play with different ones.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ttx450 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.. It's not to strong as in some andouille I made, but thyme is defiantly dominate herb. My personal experiences, some people are real sensitive to thyme flavor. I like it, but have to be careful. Next time, I would use less. Overall I like the sausage, been sharing it with others for there opinions.
ttx450
Registered Member

Postby ttx450 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 pm

The use of different thyme probably make a big difference. I used ground pwd commercial thyme.
ttx450
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:04 am

Powdered would blend through everything were dried leaves would be less mixed in too
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes