Basic Italian sausage recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Re: Italian

Postby Vindii » Tue May 17, 2011 12:09 pm

snagman wrote:Vindii,

How about the rest of the recipe ? I see you have thin potato slices there, a sauce, a gherkin......the raw onions i get .....

Thanx in advance !

I'd like to say the rest was homemade but its not. Just some tomato basil potato chip, pickle and ketchup.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:57 am

I made a small sample batch of Brican's recipe yesterday. After stuffing I fried up a small burger out of the stuffer scrappings and was very pleased with the flavor. I can't wait to try the sausage tonight. Thanks Robert!
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby robertpreed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:56 pm

BriCan wrote:Have sold this in my shop for over twenty five years, I made a combination of a couple of old recipes; a hot Italian with a sweet Italian.

I have taken it down to a pound of meat with spices equivalent to that in grams as my batches are some what larger than you need at the present :lol: just multiply the amount of spices by the amount of meat used.

1 lb Pork shoulder
2.25 gm Chillies (red chilli flakes)
2 gm Black Pepper
1.5 gm Coriander
4.25 gm Salt
1.75 gm Sugar
0.5 gm Caraway ground
1.5 gm Fennel ground

Grind meat with course plate, mix spices in a bowl and dust over course ground meat. Mix by hand until spices are evenly mixed (two minuets at the most, do not over work). Regrind with a medium plate and stuff into 29/32 hog casings or equivalent.

HTH

First of all, this recipe looks amazing and I will give this one a try right after Christmas. I will probably add a bit more red chili flakes as I really like my italian sausage a little on the hotter side.

Can I ask a question about the recipe?

I've never made sausage before (this one will be my first) and I notice that a lot of the other recipes call for 10% liquid (e.g. water, wine, combo) and this one does not. Is the liquid assumed or does this recipe not need liquid?

Thanks in advance.
robertpreed
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 am

robertpreed wrote:
BriCan wrote:Have sold this in my shop for over twenty five years, I made a combination of a couple of old recipes; a hot Italian with a sweet Italian.

I have taken it down to a pound of meat with spices equivalent to that in grams as my batches are some what larger than you need at the present :lol: just multiply the amount of spices by the amount of meat used.

1 lb Pork shoulder
2.25 gm Chillies (red chilli flakes)
2 gm Black Pepper
1.5 gm Coriander
4.25 gm Salt
1.75 gm Sugar
0.5 gm Caraway ground
1.5 gm Fennel ground

Grind meat with course plate, mix spices in a bowl and dust over course ground meat. Mix by hand until spices are evenly mixed (two minuets at the most, do not over work). Regrind with a medium plate and stuff into 29/32 hog casings or equivalent.

HTH

First of all, this recipe looks amazing and I will give this one a try right after Christmas. I will probably add a bit more red chili flakes as I really like my italian sausage a little on the hotter side.

Can I ask a question about the recipe?

I've never made sausage before (this one will be my first) and I notice that a lot of the other recipes call for 10% liquid (e.g. water, wine, combo) and this one does not. Is the liquid assumed or does this recipe not need liquid?

Thanks in advance.

If pork is fresh (2 days after kill/process) then no liquid required, if you feel that the mixture is to dry for you then by all means add some liquid

by the way Welcome
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby robertpreed » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:57 pm

BriCan, thank you for the response.

I'll be getting my pork from the local grocery store, so it will be quasi-fresh I imagine!

I will do some online searches on what the proper consistency should be, but what would you recommend? I am assuming like a bowl of oatmeal is too runny.

Thank you.
robertpreed
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Wow that sounds like a great recipe, puttin' it on the list!
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:58 am

Here is a mild Italian sausage recipe given to me by an Italian friend whose farther made it in the Old country

2/3rds pork, 1/3rd beef; salt and pepper to taste a little parsley to colour and the best Parmesan Cheese you can buy.

Recipe that I came up with that most like and again I do not add any liquid.

Mild Italian
Weight
.750 Pork
.250 Beef

Spices per kg of meat

20g Parmesan Cheese
1.5g White Pepper
8g Salt
2.5g Parsley
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wickerman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 pm

BriCan wrote:Here is a mild Italian sausage recipe given to me by an Italian friend whose farther made it in the Old country

2/3rds pork, 1/3rd beef; salt and pepper to taste a little parsley to colour and the best Parmesan Cheese you can buy.

Recipe that I came up with that most like and again I do not add any liquid.

Mild Italian
Weight
.750 Pork
.250 Beef

Spices per kg of meat

20g Parmesan Cheese
1.5g White Pepper
8g Salt
2.5g Parsley

Can I ask if the parsley is fresh or dried?
wickerman
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:28 am

If it was traditional it would have been fresh I would imagine, as dried parsley isn't really traditional.
Pretty sure the beef would have been veal in the original too.
Maybe a splash of white wine too.
Sounds good though
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Snags wrote:If it was traditional it would have been fresh I would imagine, as dried parsley isn't really traditional.

dried as it is easer to use

Pretty sure the beef would have been veal in the original too.

as you may see by the recipe there is beef (1/3rd) but no veal is/was used
Maybe a splash of white wine too.

no wine is used in the original recipe, the only ingredients are as listed -- but that is not to say that one cannot alter it to meat ones needs :wink:
Sounds good though

It is :)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wickerman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:16 pm

BriCan wrote:
Snags wrote:If it was traditional it would have been fresh I would imagine, as dried parsley isn't really traditional.

dried as it is easer to use

Thanks for clarifying this.
wickerman
Registered Member

Re:

Postby SGK » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:40 am

I just wanted to say "thanks" for this great recipe. I made some up over the weekend (I lowered the red chillies to 1.5gm) because my wife had been pressing me for some Italian sausages. Absolutely fantastic. According to her: "The best Italian sausage she's ever had outside the US."

Thanks

Steve
SGK
Registered Member

Re: Basic Italian sausage recipe

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Made this on Sunday it's fantastic! Thanks brican.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Re: Basic Italian sausage recipe

Postby Snags » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 am

The traditional Italian sausages that I have tried were predominantly pork and veal.
I used to live next to a predominantly Italian neighbourhood,it was the best place to get good veal. (and sausages)
I was watching a video of an Italian sausage maker who said the trick for adding garlic was to soak it in white wine to cook out the rawness before adding it to the sausage.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes