Coburger Bratwurst

Recipes for all sausages

Coburger Bratwurst

Postby grisell » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:28 pm

(The original topic was here http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=8572 )

After some research, I decided to go for this recipe, which is a sort of compromise of what I've found out. The recipe fulfills the demands postulated by the Coburg Sausagemakers' Guild Association. It is possibly the best bratwurst I've ever made, and one of the simplest.

Recipe

Fatty pork (see below)

For every 2 kg of ground meat:
32 g salt
6 g white pepper
4 g mace
4 g ginger (powder)
4 g lemon zest
4 g caraway
1 egg

30-36 mm hog casings

The meat must not be too lean. The overall fat content of the sausage should be 25-35 percent according to the Coburg Sausagemakers' Guild Association, i.e. fattier than most other sausages(?). I use 100% belly, which according to my reference tables contains around 25-30% fat.

Method

Trim, cut, chill and grind the meat on a coarse plate (8 mm/3/8"). Weigh and measure the salt and spices according to above. Grind the spices finely. Mix the meat, eggs, spices and salt and knead thoroughly to liberate myosin (until it gets sticky). Stuff loosely and tie in 30-35 cm/1 ft lengths. Keep refrigerated for 48-72 hours (to let the flavours bloom) before consumption or freezing.

Serve fried or barbecued. The traditional way is barbecued over an open fire of pine cones and served in a bun with or without mustard (opinions in Coburg diverge on this point).

Some pictures

Fresh pork belly:

Trimmed and cut for the grinder:

Ground spices and salt:

Thoroughly mixed and kneaded:

Stuffing (I had to make mine much shorter than traditionally since they have to fit in my pan - I can't barbecue in my apartment):

Tasting:
Last edited by grisell on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Looks good!!!

:D
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks for the recipe. Looks great.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby SweetCharly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:44 am

Tried it over the week-end.. simply delicious :D
SweetCharly
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 am

SweetCharly wrote:Tried it over the week-end.. simply delicious :D

Great! :D

Once when I made it, I didn't have any mace and used nutmeg instead. Don't! :( You have to have mace.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Y@t » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:06 pm

This is very similar to the recipe I make except I use lemon juice and a bit of milk powder. I love to eat this sausage. Looks good!
Salad ain't food, salad feeds food!
-Anonymous-

I'm for real brah!
Y@t
Registered Member

Re: Coburger Bratwurst

Postby Brewingdan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:05 am

I'm super excited about making these.

The only change will be adding NFDM and using smaller sheep casing to 12" in length.
Brewingdan
Registered Member

Postby Brewingdan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:42 am

Finally got around to making these tonight. Definitely the best German wurst I've made.

Thanks for the blueprint!!
Brewingdan
Registered Member

Postby HKDave » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:00 am

Just made a batch of these following Grisell's recipe. I used 66% shoulder and 33% belly, and they do not lack for fat. I skipped the eggs as I have no idea what they would add; the mix binds nicely without them. Very tasty. I might dial back the mace a touch next time, but that's just me.

Not 100% sure these would meet the demands of the Coburg Sausagemakers' Guild Association, however. I've been poking around the interwebs and the consensus seems to be that Corburg brats need to have at least 15% beef or veal and be seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon zest (and eggs as a binder).
http://www.germanfoodguide.com/wurstdet ... t_number=7
http://mybestgermanrecipes.com/german-s ... bratwurst/
http://www.genussregion-oberfranken.de/ ... ils_38.htm
Google translation of part of that last page:
"Ingredients:
The Coburg bratwurst, due to its traditional style and nature of the intestine using a special variant of the Franconian sausage (Principle-digit 2.221.11) .You will be made on all official occasions in the town of Coburg traditionally according to the following criteria:
Ingredients: At least 15% coarse entsehntes beef, coarse defatted pork, pork fettgewebsreiches. One kilogram of meat traditionally results in 10 sausages. Could be used previously with special permission raw eggs as a binder. Currently, for reasons of biological safety, instead, the use of whole egg (eg pasteurized) in use. The seasoning is done according to the old recipe tradition among others with salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon. "

In any case, thanks for the recipe!
HKDave
Registered Member

Postby X86BSD » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:26 pm

So it would appear 15% coarse ground beef is required according the classification. 85/15 pork belly to beef.
My question is what cut of beef? If it's just coarse ground beef, would you just use chuck?

Thoughts?

Chris
X86BSD
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D I couldn't find any info on the meat cuts used so if it was me, I'd use chuck.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Swing Swang » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 pm

HKDave wrote:I skipped the eggs as I have no idea what they would add...

Eggs not a problem - check out the wonderfully yolk-golden Spanish/Catalan Botifarra (sometimes written Butiffara) D'Ou. (although in fairness the sausage is poached black-pudding style and not fried from raw)

The recipe on p271 of Charcuteria by J Weiss has 7 yolks for every 1kg of pork
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby X86BSD » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:44 am

NCPaul wrote:Welcome to the forum. :D I couldn't find any info on the meat cuts used so if it was me, I'd use chuck.

Thank you sir! I've been a board stalker off and on for a few a years as I peruse a leisure study of the culinary world. This forum is such a great low noise resource with some truly great global input.

It seems you probably read all the things I read on the www. No mention of what cut just that it be rough or course ground beef. I guess I'll assume chuck then unless someone has additional input. I might try veal though as it could be 15% beef or veal from what I read but that would jack the price up. So chuck it is for now :)

Thank you for the input!

Chris
X86BSD
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:58 am

FWIW, I too would use chuck for preference, but as it's only 15% wouldn't be too concerned to use another cut.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ScottfromND » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Maybe they used shank meat from an old cow. One that stopped producing milk.
ScottfromND
Newly Registered

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes